Illinois Marching Online
Sign in to follow this  
Drummer79

Time for a change

I feel like Dan Balash has done an incredible job over the years taking over this site and running with it, however, I think it's time for him to pass the torch to someone ready to take this site over.  We haven't had a main page post in over a year.  We can still drive traffic here and people regularly check the site for schedules and show information.  I've attempted to have private conversations and every time met with silence.  Please let's work as a community to keep this site moving forward.

18 minutes ago, Jholls said:

I agree. These boards have been dead for quite a while. I keep checking back for new posts and information but nothing. Let's get things going again.

We've started a FB page called "Greater St Louis Marching" ... more focused on Southern Illinois and Missouri.  Already have almost 500 members and lots of activity during the shows yesterday.  Not quite like what Illinois Marching was in the past but a good place for folks to share.

I understand keeping this site up takes a lot of time. As a person who comes from Illinois and now lives in another state this was the only way I had to keep up with the happenings of Illinois marching bands. If I lived in state I would gladly help out since I'm retired. Come on guys bring back the site to at least what it used to be. 

Thanks

On 10/2/2018 at 1:20 AM, Drummer79 said:

Apparently the solution is only Facebook, barely update information, and avoid my every inquiry about it.

Really disappointing, and downright rude at this point.  I’m talking about the moderator, obviously.

What can we as individuals do to save this site and get more traffic to it. I don't want to see this site go the way of the Indiana Marching site and become a thing of the past. I feel there are things we can all do but we need to come together to figure it out.

Personally, I'm trying to be about as active as I can, but I'm not really able to go to competitions anymore. A toddler won't sit through that lol. If more competitions streamed, I'd absolutely try and keep things updated and maybe offer thoughts on shows. As far as doing predictions and such, in the past, we have gotten flak from various sources for "favoring" one band over another.

9 hours ago, briar62 said:

I do know one thing, we need to keep up posting on the forums if there is nothing new on the site why would anyone ever want to come here and visit.

Right?!?! There should be at least a field show video thread because I don't think there's many on the site for this year yet.

On 11/5/2018 at 5:05 PM, JT2002 said:

Right?!?! There should be at least a field show video thread because I don't think there's many on the site for this year yet.

Unfortunately, we rely entirely on user submitted videos. Combing through youtube/vimeo what have you for videos each season is just not feasible for the few of us that attempt to keep things updated. We do, however, have to approve display of videos that have been submitted. I will admit that we could certainly be faster on that, but sometimes we get a video submitted that includes multiple bands or "fluff" content that just doesn't quite fit. If we could edit that or split the performances into multiple videos, one for each band represented, it would be just fine. Seeing as how we rely on external video hosting services, that just isn't an option.

On 11/8/2018 at 10:12 PM, saxyman said:

Unfortunately, we rely entirely on user submitted videos. Combing through youtube/vimeo what have you for videos each season is just not feasible for the few of us that attempt to keep things updated. We do, however, have to approve display of videos that have been submitted. I will admit that we could certainly be faster on that, but sometimes we get a video submitted that includes multiple bands or "fluff" content that just doesn't quite fit. If we could edit that or split the performances into multiple videos, one for each band represented, it would be just fine. Seeing as how we rely on external video hosting services, that just isn't an option.

Whoops...I think the notification I have set up to tell us there are videos in the queue is broken! There are a bunch in the queue I need to go approve...damn technology, why can't it just work!

Edit: Ok, maybe not a "BUNCH", but there were 15 submissions, 7 of them were dead links. Really does highlight the hardship we have finding working videos to link :(