Illinois Marching Online
Sign in to follow this  
LWCMKtrumpet06

Chicago area drumline?

Has anyone heard of an alumni drumline around the Chicagoland area? I was watching the community channel filming of Mokena's 4th of July parade and a batterie came through wearing street clothes and Dynasty drums. They were actually very very good and the members looked like they were easily out of HS by a few years. The thing that gets me is that they were playing what is DEFINATLY "Old" (A very old LW signature cadence). Does anyone know about this group? They said something along the lines of "chicago area drumline with former members of several area drumlines" but I had never heard of such a group...I was just curious since they were playing Old and not wearing Lincoln-Way uniforms...very odd.

i think the one in the mokena parade was the windy city drum line. and i'm assuming they had permission to use the cadence b/c i was under the impressoin that mr. kummer wrote the old cadence, tho maybe i'm mistaken, but they played it really well and clean, tho not with the corp like stick height percission, but they were having fun and sounded good, so i didnt mind. and u could tell all the knight alum b/c they were all mouthing so saying the "lwhs fight fight fight hurray", the numbers and the "go knights kick some a_s" parts.

Word on the street is that there is a new drumline in town. "The Black and Blue Drumline" is from what I have heard a completely L-Way Marching Knight alumni drumline put together by former member and instructor Mike Coers. This is all heresay; I have never seen this drumline perform, so I am not even completely sure of its existence. But members range from graduates of the late '80s to very recent graduates. This is all I have to say on this topic because I don't want to be spreading false rumors.

Now THAT would be a kick-@$$ drumline!!!!

Is there an age limit on WGI competitions? Would the drumline do parades during marching season, and then maybe compete as a WGI independent? (Or however that works)

If Mike Coors is involved, that might explain why Marian Catholic was mentioned in their announcement as they marched by. Is he still the drumline instructor there?...From what I have heard, I am not surprised Marian's drumline was awarded best percussion numerous times.

Hi......Believe it or not..I just read this post from over a year ago.. yes I do have a chicago Area drumline called the " Black and Blue " drumline.. totally independant..so far we have done some parades and corporate events in the midwest. If anyone has drumline experience and wants to play from time to time ( sometimes for $$ and sometimes for giggles )..please get back to me. It would be great if someone who has access to former L - w members contact info would reply. to date the group has included mainly lw and marian alumni and all players must be out of high school and at least 18 yrs old.

If interest level grows, we could have monthly meetings / rehearsals and build a group of " on call " players who all know the same book and can play whenever I get a call for the group.......pssst.....

( more " contest oriented " tendancies may form if the right people show interest. )

MIke Coers