Illinois Marching Online
Sign in to follow this  
LWCMKtrumpet06

Kicking it into gear

I know the marching season in IL is not upon us yet. However, the trumpetline section leaders are meeting already to decide the fate of the 2005-2006 marching season. What suggestions do you guys have to really kick things up a notch? What rehersal techniques or sectional approaches do you use? I do not know whether your bands utilize student leaders or not (to run sectional practice outside of schedualed time) but I would like any feedback on ideas that have worked for you. And I would appreciate any ideas to implement as a full band as well! It helps that most of the leadership of our class is friends so we just need to kick it up and make use of the full potential of the members, leaders, music, and drill. Any feedback would be AWESOME! And preferably as soon as you can. It's never too late to start planning for next year! (i.e. planning for mellos and trumpets sectionalizing together in pursuit of a better high brass sound is being planned).

hmm...ive got afew suggestions...not sure if youll agree or not, but ill throw afew ideas out there. We do use the whole SL system, so hopefully some of this will help.

Do playing tests, by doing so you can be assured that EVERYONE knows his or her music. You might also want to do marching tests to see who knows their drill. Make yourself and anyone else in a leadership position available for help. Sometimes just practicing 15 minutes with a kid who is struggling before a rehersal can really help. Along with that, exchange cell phone numbers, e-mails, AIM addresses, anything so that anyone in need can reach you. As for playing technique and that sort of stuff...for excercises or warm ups, I like to go to different corps' pages and see what they have to offer. Many of then have some really good exercises...for example...

http://www.magicoforlando.org/audition/BDR-Trumpet.pdf

http://www.colts.org/documents/2005/trumpet.pdf

those are two good ones. Hmm, whatelse, be nice to everyone and treat them like your friend...even if you have your differences. Other than that, practice, practice, practice.

Is it true that you are gonna be using all plastic mouthpieces?

It woulda been but it got shot down because thats what the directors said...Still usin em for cold football games. I found the colts site but thats for the other one! We are gonna try and do alot of corps style stuff like you said. And yeah marching tests are a good idea as well. I didnt even think of that one. Thanks for the imput!

YEY...PLASIC MOUTHPIECES ARE CRAP....suck it up and play on real ones...and if it is cold a) keep your mouthpiece warm and/or

B) cut out a note or two...a football crowd will never notice. np, get a hole of me if you need anything.

Guest Deleted User

I doubt there are truly benifits to plastic mouthpieces.

Anyway...

Playing tests...with a twist. Instead of making the person who DOESN'T know there music drop and do pushups, make the everyone else drop while the person who doesn't know his music stands at attention. That way it encourages the members to know their music, promotes section unity, and it helps create a small bit of peer pressure.

if you consider wasting money a benefit, then i think we found one for the plastic mouthpieces.

Good thinking on the section unity stuff...have partys or bbq's too...that is a great way to get to know everybody and have alot of fun

Make sure to get all of the seniors in the section involved in some type of leadership. Listening to the small groups for music memorization, marching, etc.....beware of the cliques within the section. Trumpets, clarinets, and flutes, since they're the biggest sections, are extremely susceptible to this.

similar to what kurt said, make the section responsible for every member. Music tests, if one person doesn't know their stuff, its a full section punishment, same with basics. For the first part of the season this doesnt work as well b/c mistakes are expected, but as it gets post band camp on drill you already know, make mistakes worth pushups/sittups in drill, however you need to make sure your not interfering with rehersal. Also, to teach freshman the whole "don't move while at attention", I used to do this thing in front of a mirror. Have the section, including yourself stand at attention and have a predetermined amount of time (probably 1 min to start out) to stand without moving, it will prolly take awhile. As they get it, up the time to 1:30, and see how long it gets. Eventually, it will get hated and u can use it as a fear tactic in rehersal, something like "everytime i see someone moving when we shouldnt be will be 30 secs of mirror time". It also helps build endurance (more important when it was my euphs, but still applicable to trumpets). As for the size problem, go to different place (i dunno what stuff u have access to, we used the green room at east) in section parts, like all the firsts, all the 2nd, and all the 3rd or like freshman and seniors and sophmores and juniors to do it. As for music checks, it fairly obvious in secitionals when someone isnt playing or messing up, esp if in the single arc setup b/c then no one else is there to mask their sound.

as for mouthpieces, don't give up your metal ones. plastic wont get cold, but will crack in cold and they don't give the same sound. Your sound gets, on the whole, mellower and it doesnt sound as in your face. Just suck it up and put your mouthpiece in your pocket when traveling at shows or not playing at football games and its cold.

About the cliques within the section. The trumpets are no longer a large section of the band. We had only 15 people for the past two years and 16 my freshman year. Next year, however, we are going up to some number in the low 20's. Cliques have been established and breaking them down now would be extremely difficult especially because many have the distinction of being friends and hanging out outside of marching. We only lost 2 seniors this year so the returning memeber numbers are decently high and we do not have to worry about senior involvement because including myself there are only 3 trumpetline seniors (well...one is a juniorsenior) and we all have leadership next year. I dont know how to go about breakin down the clique thing because I do not like it at all. Especaily when people in your section somehow believe themselves to be better than others or superior in some way so they ridicule others for being "losers", "creepy", ect.

The attention and discipline is not a problem (or as much of a problem as I percieved East had from our two or three meetings both at the Fball game, homeshow, faculty meeting thingy, and whatever else we did. We had a locked on section that wouldnt flinch for anyone or anything. And NEVER at attention. Not even emptying spit valves. We got rid of all secondary movement at both horns up and at attention simply by standing there and talking for about 20 minutes at each position. Correct me if I am wrong but from what I saw, East had severe problems with discipline at attention. Of course with the motivation of not acting like our battery, by the end of the year, Lauren would stand set and we'd leap to attention without her saying anything...In fact, the DL instructor was running the parkinglot practice at homeshow and turned around and was like "get set we are going to play _____" only to find the band, Lauren, and Heather all set and only the battery wandering around their drums).

Thanks for the help guys! And yeah, parties are GREAT! Especially when they involve swimming or Hooters lol. We always have a movie party in the winter too (although this year it was a "play-Halo-till-you-pass-out" party.

Edit: ROTC has taught me the power of "punishing" everyone for one persons actions while they suffer no actual consequence but the anger of the masses. Actually, its better motivation than any ONE persons actions. I mean, people get mad when they are paying for someone elses mistake and that person is not at all.

It was too late by the time my eyes were opened...i.e. sophomore year in high school. No way were my parents going to sink more money into a completely different instrument when they had just bought be an open-hole flute. If I had to do it all over again, I could definitely see myself going either percussion or trombone.

haha...actually, my sl from 2003, who now marches cavies, picked up the tuba at holiday vacation of his sophmore yr...he did play tpt before that tho...

Sry that you never got to switch. They should give you fair warning when you join band in like 4th grade that brass is much better...oh well

Hey, I played two years of bass clarinet in concert band in HS. I did volunteer to play trombone, and learn how to play it, but I didn't have any way of getting a trombone. (all of the "rentals" were already gone) I tried to play my sister's baritone, but not having brass chops...that bugged me after awhile.

LWCTrumpet> I forgot to say....great idea for practicing with the mellophones to refine the high brass sound. Now if you can just get the clarinets and saxophones to practice together. *ha!*

anyone up for some good anti-woodwond jokes?????

if so...send me a pm and ill hit you up with some cause i dont wanna get thrown off of these boards...lol

on a different note...im not sure how many of you use AIM or YIM, but there have been alot of virus' around, and no matter how cautious YOU are...there are always other ppl in your house who can manage to click on one of those godforsaken links....if you are as unfortunate as I am go to... http://jayloden.com/VirusClean.htm ... and run the AIMfix program afew times and you will be back in business as I am...ok, sry for the plug, but i thought it might be helpful...

Oorah marching band! Yeah, I've been getting links from people that i KNOW arent sending these things...and i got one of those "youve signed on in two locations" things. which i hadnt...thanks for the link cuz its been i giant problem. I was wondering if it was just me.