Illinois Marching Online
Sign in to follow this  
Molonkers

DM as soloist?

Hi all-

I have a band of 30.

My DM is a very talented trumpet player (naturally she is talented- we all have strong players as leaders!)

I have a trumpet solo I have considered giving her.  Is that a thing? To have the DM play a solo?

It is only a 4 bar solo- screaming tpt for effect.  Thinking it would be a really cool effect if she whipped out a trumpet and just wailed from the podium.

Is that allowed?  Legal but frowned upon?

Let me know your thoughts!

Our entire second tune this year features our DM on a tenor sax solo.  There are no restrictions and it seems to have gone over well with the judges.......

However, she is not playing from the podium - she comes down and plays the solo on the field.

If you are talking Band Of America then

20.07 During the performance, Performers must be within the Performance Field. Drum Majors are exempt, except as provided below. Amplified voice work by a Drum Major (music and/or narration) is restricted to the Performance Field (15.09).

Exception – Drum majors may place or retrieve an instrument from any place in the Performance Area. However, if a drum major performs on the instrument, that performance must occur from within the boundaries of the Performance Field.