Illinois Marching Online
Guest Bart Bates

Band Size

Guest Bart Bates

Hi Dan - 

I love your website, I was wondering how difficult it would be to have the band size.  School size doesn't always = band size.  Another topic for discussion, having bands place themselves in 3 different categories like WGI Class A Open Class or World Class.  Take Morton small school but performing world class levels vice versa Waukegan has 4,500 and should be Class A.  It is just a thought, keep up the amazing job that you do.

Thanks -

Bart Bates

MCHS '90

One quick issue with this is that band size is not publicly available information, whereas school enrollment is. I wouldn't mind listing the band size as well if there was a reliable way to obtain this information each season.

Pretty much every show with the exception of one or two in the Chicago area do a three class system based on band size, not including DM and Auxiliary.

• Class A (up to 64 members)
  • Class AA (65 – 96 members)
  • Class AAA (97 or more members)

BOA, U of I and ISU are based on school size of course, and the central Illinois and southern Illinois shows vary.  I'd love to get a set system of classifications (and scoring systems...), but that will never happen.  

That being said, it would be really difficult to update the website every year with band size.  We would love to do this, but we have enough issues getting school information and the like updated.