Illinois Marching Online
Sign in to follow this  
drillwriter

Censorship

I am very against censorship in most cases, but I've unfortunately come to expect things like this now. Even in just the last five years, the rapidity with which organizations act to silence an opinion that may be deemed offensive has seemingly increased an order of magnitude (or two). I find it especially disgusting when it's creativity that is being squelched. I don't usually comment on things like this though because I tend to get myself in trouble.

All right, I'll weigh in.  This could be considered censorship but the reality is that the school district brought it on themselves.  They had a history of sponsored Christian activities (rallies, giving out bibles in class) and were ordered to stop by a judge.  My understanding is that they did not and were warned (possibly paid a fine) and that they would definetly be fined for the next violation.  The school administration decided that discretion was the bette part of valor and told the band not to play the song.  I don't see this happening on a broad scale because of the specifics of this case.  And since a lot of Christian hymns have a basis in the secular (as far as the tunes go), this would be hard to enforce or prove as "sponsoring a specific religion".

So just to add on one more thought - we don't know if the court would have deemed the playing of "How Great Thou Art" as a violation of its order since the event never occurred.  The school administration may have overreacted.

... And since a lot of Christian hymns have a basis in the secular (as far as the tunes go), this would be hard to enforce or prove as "sponsoring a specific religion".

That's the part that concerns me. MANY pieces of music have some sort of tie to hymns. Stuff like this can, and eventually will go to court as some point, since we live in such a litigious society. And the definition of "religious" is subjective - who knows what a court would say? Question: can A Christmas Festival (with choir) be performed or is it too religious? Is it less religious if a band plays it without a choir?? I just see a slippery slope here.