Illinois Marching Online
Dan Balash

2015 Director Changes

As the 2014-2015 school year winds down and the 2015-2016 school year starts up, we have a number of director changes throughout the state of Illinois.  Here's a few that have been shared with us:

• Dr. Dan Belongia has left Illinois State.  He began his new position at Arkansas Tech today.  He has been replaced by Dr. Gavin Smith, who joins ISU from Vanderbilt, where he was the Assistant Director of Bands.
  • Robert Sanchez has left Providence Catholic.  Lawrence Rogers from Edwardsville will be the new director there.  
  • Carmen Knight (from Mahomet-Seymour?) has replaced Mr. Rogers at Edwardsville as the Assistant Director of Bands.
  • Robinson is now open.
  • Kent Krause has resigned from Danville.
  • Keith Schmink from Pontiac Township has retired.  He has been replaced by Corey Brown.
  • Wheaton North is (was?) open, on a one year basis.  Jon Noworyta has taken a leave of absence.  
  • Patrick Mainieri has been named Assistant Director of Bands at Morton.
  • Rick Rohde was named Director of Bands at Huntley on January 15, replacing Nick Konwerski, who resigned.  As far as I can tell, no assistant has been named as of yet.
  • East Richland in Olney is open.

I knew I would forget a few.  

• Dr. Wally Parks has retired from Metamora Township.  Zachary Hilligoss has been hired to replace him.
  • Effingham was open yet again.  Trent Mason from Highland was hired for the opening.
  • Coal City is open.  Tom Ruzinok has been hired as the Assistant Principal at Coal City Middle School.

• Joseph Corey Francis is leaving Eastern Illinois and will be the new Director of University Bands at Vanderbilt.
  • Ryan Krapf is leaving Sullivan and going to Danville.
  • Kent Krause from Danville to Wheaton North.

• Brock Feece has been hired at Sullivan
  • Scott Whitman is the new director at Roanoke-Benson
  • Robert Sanchez to Elgin.
  • Lindsay Guinand is the new director at Rock Falls.
  • Cameron Kotovsky has been hired for the opening at Coal City.
  • Al Rendak has been hired at Brother Rice in Chicago.  They may look to go competitive again.
  • Keagan Tucker has been hired at Robinson.
  • Michael Pond-Jones has been hired at Richland County (formerly East Richland).  He was previously head director at ROWVA for two years.
  • Dr. Jim Hile has been hired as the Assistant Director of Bands/Director of Panther Athletic Bands at Eastern Illinois, replacing J. Corey Francis, who accepted the Director of Bands position at Vanderbilt. Dr. Hile holds an M.S. and Ed.D in Music Education from the University of Illinois and has served as Director of Bands at the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill. Recently, Dr. Hile retired as the Director of Bands at Highland Park High School in the Chicago-land area, where he taught for 18 years. 

Woa. Can High Schools have individual school marching bands AND a co-op band? A co-op LW band would have the potential to be a big, impressive group.

My guess would be each school could do football games only, and team up for competitions.

Very exciting. I had heard a rumor that they would not be doing BOA events for some reason. Glad to hear that is not the case. This is a neat undertaking and I'm excited to see how it plays out for them