Illinois Marching Online
Dan Balash

Shows for the weekend of October 25, 2014

First I've seen this scoring ... I'm sure Dan will be able to explain.

Music - self explanatory

M & M - Marching and Movement?  What we call visual?

Show - General Effect?

I am likewise not sure. It is possible that this is just an old type of judging that has been carried forward? Or it could be a concoction of their own. Each competition has their quirks. Having been at the competition, I can tell you that they generally got it right. I get to show a bit of my bias here, I feel that Murphysboro's music was better than Mehlville and much better than Belleville West. But other than that the placements were OK, although I am not sure how they got to their recorded numbers. 

First I've seen this scoring ... I'm sure Dan will be able to explain.

Music - self explanatory

M & M - Marching and Movement?  What we call visual?

Show - General Effect?

Music/Marching & Maneuvering/Showmanship is a relic heirloom classic legacy from the 1970's.  Sometimes 40/20/40, sometimes 40/30/30, usually there were three pairs of judges that were averaged.  4 judges up in the box, and the two marching & maneuvering judges were down on the field.  In those days, there was also a "tick" sheet.  Each error the judges caught would be 0.1/tick.  Each band/corps started at 100 and worked their way down.  

Nowadays, each band basically starts at 0 and is awarded points based on the sheets. 

Music/Marching & Maneuvering/Showmanship is a relic from the 1970's.  Sometimes 40/20/40, sometimes 40/30/30, usually there were three pairs of judges that were averaged.  4 judges up in the box, and the two marching & maneuvering judges were down on the field.  In those days, there was also a "tick" sheet.  Each error the judges caught would be 0.1/tick.  Each band/corps started at 100 and worked their way down.  

Nowadays, each band basically starts at 0 and is awarded points based on the sheets. 

Thanks for the explanation. You're the man!