3A

1. Marian Catholic (Music, GE, Visual)

2. Normal West (Crowd)

3. Bloomington

4A

1. LWN (all)

2. Normal Community

3. LWC

IVC has homecoming and cannot compete in finals.

Finalists: Morton, Marian Catholic, LWN, Normal West, Lincoln Way West, Limestone, Bloomington

Class 5A Results:
1) Prospect (Music, Visual, GE)
2) Lincoln-Way East
3) Edwardsville (Crowd)

Class 6A Results:
1) Lake Park (Music, GE)
2) O'Fallon Township (Visual, Crowd)
3) Lockport Township

5A-6A Finalists: Lake Park, Prospect, Lockport Township, O'Fallon Township, Plainfield North, Edwardsville, Lincoln-Way East

Finals schedule for tonight (there may be a break in here somewhere.):

7:30 Lincoln-Way West
7:44 Limestone Community
7:58 Bloomington
8:12 Morton
8:26 Lincoln-Way East
8:40 Plainfield North
8:54 Edwardsville

9:08 Break
9:22 Normal West
9:36 O'Fallon Township
9:50 Marian Catholic
10:04 Lake Park
10:18 Lincoln-Way North
10:32 Lockport Township
10:46 Prospect

11:00 BRMM

I keep hearing a certain schools parents say their 2014 show inst as good as their 2013 show, and 2013 wasn't as good as 2012. Yet, somehow the judges keep giving them first place. Is it possible some schools just get a free pass, even when they don't think they've put their best foot forward? Its a shame that every band starts off battling for 3rd place due to impartial or biased judging.

I keep hearing a certain schools parents say their 2014 show inst as good as their 2013 show, and 2013 wasn't as good as 2012. Yet, somehow the judges keep giving them first place. Is it possible some schools just get a free pass, even when they don't think they've put their best foot forward? Its a shame that every band starts off battling for 3rd place due to impartial or biased judging.

I really want to rip this post a new one especially as a first post. I know I haven't been here a long time either, but wow there is so much wrong with that. I won't go any further since I am enjoying the excellent band performances. All of awesome band's are killing it.

Rip away. I do think all the bands are doing GREAT. Fairly new to marching band, but I've heard the same thing over the last two years. I wish it was just me as a guy who doesn't understand band scoring, but when THEIR own parents are saying "we did better last year", kind of makes me wonder how subjective scoring is, or do some schools have a built in advantage based on prior reputation.

First off, I have met only a handful of band parents who know what the heck they're actually talking about. Second, parents are the most biased of all. I guess we should just throw away the judges and commentary because the parents know all. That's why Crowd Appeal trophies are a waste of time. 

The panel today and tonight at ISU is as good as you will find in America. They always have a good panel, but there are legends in the box and on the field providing valuable feedback and commentary to directors as most of the serious bands (and most in general) move deeper into their fall season.

Band parents really get me. They're important in support of their band but have zero idea what they're talking about and blame the judges all day long. I'm fine with disagreeing with a judge or two based on my eyes and ears, but it's a subjective activity and will always be.

First off, I have met only a handful of band parents who know what the heck they're actually talking about. Second, parents are the most biased of all. I guess we should just throw away the judges and commentary because the parents know all. That's why Crowd Appeal trophies are a waste of time. 

The panel today and tonight at ISU is as good as you will find in America. They always have a good panel, but there are legends in the box and on the field providing valuable feedback and commentary to directors as most of the serious bands (and most in general) move deeper into their fall season.

Band parents really get me. They're important in support of their band but have zero idea what they're talking about and blame the judges all day long. I'm fine with disagreeing with a judge or two based on my eyes and ears, but it's a subjective activity and will always be.

Finals schedule for tonight (there may be a break in here somewhere.):

7:30 Lincoln-Way West

7:44 Limestone Community

7:58 Bloomington

8:12 Morton

8:26 Lincoln-Way East

8:40 Plainfield North

8:54 Edwardsville

9:08 Break

9:22 Normal West

9:36 O'Fallon Township

9:50 Marian Catholic

10:04 Lake Park

10:18 Lincoln-Way North

10:32 Lockport Township

10:46 Prospect

11:00 BRMM

I think Prospect wins this one going away tonight. Both O'Fallon and Marian have strong shows, with the latter making a serious case for a top finish at BOA in a month. Too dang dirty right now to see them prevailing tonight, despite the disparity between them and the field in overall demand.

1) Marian Catholic
2) Prospect
3) Lake Park
4) Lockport Township
5) Lincoln-Way North
6) O'Fallon Township
7) Normal West
8) Lincoln-Way East
9) Edwardsville
10) Morton
11) Plainfield North
12) Limestone Community
13) Bloomington
14) Lincoln-Way West

1) Marian Catholic

2) Prospect

3) Lake Park

4) Lockport Township

5) Lincoln-Way North

6) O'Fallon Township

7) Normal West

8) Lincoln-Way East

9) Edwardsville

10) Morton

11) Plainfield North

12) Limestone Community

13) Bloomington

14) Lincoln-Way West

I stand corrected... 

1) Marian Catholic

2) Prospect

3) Lake Park

4) Lockport Township

5) Lincoln-Way North

6) O'Fallon Township

7) Normal West

8) Lincoln-Way East

9) Edwardsville

10) Morton

11) Plainfield North

12) Limestone Community

13) Bloomington

14) Lincoln-Way West

I want to say so much about this but I'll bite my tongue until AT LEAST St. Louis...  :rolleyes:

I'll wait for BOA events as well but what I can tell you is that O'Fallon is not a 6th place band in this competition.  ISU never ceases to amaze me in that we have great bands not getting the recognition they deserve...

Well, it was good to se a few new faces make finals at ISU. The evening show didn't provide any real surprises though. That's the risk you run with using the same judges. Without seeing any scores, it looks like the placements pretty much mirrored prelims.

Here is what I know about WIU

Macomb won 2A and small schools Grand Champion

3A

Geneseo (All)

Pontiac

Jacksonville

4A

Davenport Central (DM,Perc)

Dunlap (Guard,Winds)

East Peoria

Moline

Large Schools GC Davenport Central

Well, it was good to se a few new faces make finals at ISU. The evening show didn't provide any real surprises though. That's the risk you run with using the same judges. Without seeing any scores, it looks like the placements pretty much mirrored prelims.

Those EXPERIENCED veteran judges have been subjectively scoring things for a certain school for the last 20-30 years. But I digress, I wish it was about my kids school. (so much for parental bias) and personally I grew up about 10 min away from the school which seems to get so much leeway with their performance. Why wouldn't I want to see them do well? Some of those kids have it rough, I'm happy to see any and every one of them succeed and not become a statistic.

But winning shouldn't be a rite of passage. Fairness and objectivity has to rule the day. The saddest thing is that I saw people start leaving after 2nd place was announced. Surely the parents and most important THE KIDS can see that too. Sour Grapes? Definitely YES. But maybe the parents have some merit. We're all capable of knowing whether another band was better, even if we don't like it. But as some of those scores indicate between the top two bands. There is always one score that seems to be skewed. Percussionist drumming upside down, a full cabin, a dying tree. Everyone puts their heart into their show. Some shows were good, but not as DEEP as the scoring depicted.