1. 1. Who wins finals at ISU?

• 1A Winner
    • 2A Winner
    • 3A Winner
    • 4A Winner
    • 5A Winner
    • 6A Winner
    • Other (please list below.)

I'm not so sure they get it right but betting on Marian/Prospect is a pretty safe bet at this competition.  I think O'Fallon has an outside chance but historically bands from southern Illinois never seem to fair too well at this competition.  I just hope it's a tight contest and all the bands do their very best, I'll expect the same out of the judges...

I always tell my self at this time of year that this is going to be the year Prospect beats Marian. I thought it was going to happen last year, and this year I think its going to be even closer. 84.2% sure its going to be Marian though. At ISU anything can happen though. Its going to be between the Grand nat semi finalists from last year. Plus a prospect.  So Marian, Prospect, Lake Park, Lockport, O Fallon, and because thats only 5 bands and I like even numbers, LWE. Yah. that sounds good.

I'm going to put Marian Catholic as coming out on top. However, Prospect, Lockport and hopefully O'Fallon (it would be ridiculous if they aren't at least in the top 5 if they have a fantastic performance) could easily make the top 4 spots be separated by a minimum of 2 points.

I sort of agree with the top 5, however, I'd like to see Prospect get the nod here. I know it's early, but shouldn't a show be complete by October 11, with only fine tuning and changes made based on judges comments for improvement? Also, Lake Park should be in the top 5, putting Morton at number 6. I'd call it a showdown for Downers Grove, Victor J Andrew, Lincoln-Way East and Plainfield North, depending on the fine tuning to be done this week. Downers has scored higher than each of these bands this year so this could be interesting. Who's going to bring their "A" game on Saturday?

Bands moving on to BOA events have a lot more than just fine tuning to do.  If this contest were at the end of October I'd agree they should be in a more completed state.  I hope every band brings their "A" game on Saturday and leave it all on the field.  I also hope the judges recognize and reward appropriately...

I sort of agree with the top 5, however, I'd like to see Prospect get the nod here. I know it's early, but shouldn't a show be complete by October 11, with only fine tuning and changes made based on judges comments for improvement? Also, Lake Park should be in the top 5, putting Morton at number 6. I'd call it a showdown for Downers Grove, Victor J Andrew, Lincoln-Way East and Plainfield North, depending on the fine tuning to be done this week. Downers has scored higher than each of these bands this year so this could be interesting. Who's going to bring their "A" game on Saturday?

I am by no means calling you out though I would like to make this point about scores:

Until ILMEA or a conglomerate of band directors come together and decide on a judging guide and scoring they agree on and get local competitions to use whatever they create, I will never look at total scores with any face value. It is laughable that we do not at least have a unified system here in Illinois. It is a hot topic with Illinois and continues year in and year out to never change since if anyone even mentions like a BOA style or some standardized sheet, politicians enter the room and start trying to solve whatever crisis they are on about today. Individual captions at least show where things can improve even in the most basic sense of low, mid or high scores. Marian Catholic and Prospect are currently the only two schools whose scores stay relevant outside of the state and are the only ones I denote as being truth. I beat you nothing that if either of them went to a competition in either Oklahoma, Texas, or Indiana they would have similar scores to the ones that they get here not because they have shows that please the judges or any other bull reason someone makes up, it is because they are THAT GOOD. To every other band in the state, I have decided to only recognize what place they get week to week and in my head think if it is right or wrong. I hope that this weekend really does come down to who brings their A-game and really show who are really the best bands in Illinois.

No more ranting now. Best of luck to all bands this weekend and I appreciate all the work you have put in to this upcoming weekend!!

I am by no means calling you out though I would like to make this point about scores:

Until ILMEA or a conglomerate of band directors come together and decide on a judging guide and scoring they agree on and get local competitions to use whatever they create, I will never look at total scores with any face value. It is laughable that we do not at least have a unified system here in Illinois. It is a hot topic with Illinois and continues year in and year out to never change since if anyone even mentions like a BOA style or some standardized sheet, politicians enter the room and start trying to solve whatever crisis they are on about today. Individual captions at least show where things can improve even in the most basic sense of low, mid or high scores. Marian Catholic and Prospect are currently the only two schools whose scores stay relevant outside of the state and are the only ones I denote as being truth. I beat you nothing that if either of them went to a competition in either Oklahoma, Texas, or Indiana they would have similar scores to the ones that they get here not because they have shows that please the judges or any other bull reason someone makes up, it is because they are THAT GOOD. To every other band in the state, I have decided to only recognize what place they get week to week and in my head think if it is right or wrong. I hope that this weekend really does come down to who brings their A-game and really show who are really the best bands in Illinois.

No more ranting now. Best of luck to all bands this weekend and I appreciate all the work you have put in to this upcoming weekend!!

Well, IF some some of single organization ends up running MB competitions in IL, it CAN NOT be the IHSA. Trust me, you don't want them running anything, unless you like arbitrary rules and you want to fund their high salaries & pensions.

My gut tells me the early season date will favor Prospect and they should narrowly prevail this time over Marian Catholic. It would mean more if this were late October, but I see MC's finals winning streak going by the wayside this weekend. Great panel this weekend!

JDAPP

My gut tells me the early season date will favor Prospect and they should narrowly prevail this time over Marian Catholic. It would mean more if this were late October, but I see MC's finals winning streak going by the wayside this weekend. Great panel this weekend!

JDAPP

My gut tells me it will come down to the GE judges.  I have a feeling that Prospect/Marian (assuming they're 1-2) will split the visual/music captions, and it will come down to GE.

My gut tells me it will come down to the GE judges.  I have a feeling that Prospect/Marian (assuming they're 1-2) will split the visual/music captions, and it will come down to GE.

I think it could come down to anything between the judges. If the judges thought either of them did a little bit better (.1) in any category for either of the two, it would have flopped the places or made a farther gap.