Illinois Marching Online
Band Rookie

Predictions for Southern Illinois Bands in 2014

A new season is just starting so I'd like to invite others to share their predictions for Souther Illinois Bands this year.  I believe we're some of the best up and coming bands within Illinois.  So please sound off...

Well what kind of predictions are we talking here? Placements? Program improvement? That's a very open ended topic. I'll stay away from any kind of placement deal because many groups have yet to compete in at least one show, but When it comes to program improvement, I'm really interested to see what happens with Collinsville and Alton this year. Bobby Wright was a phenomenal instructor with O'Fallon while in school and the music program at Collinsville has improved tremendously since he got there. Same with Alton. Ms Cudney's work is already evident with a 5th place finish by their drum line in class at Mozingo and 9th overall this past weekend. That in class placement is especially impressive when you look at the rest of the lineup which included O'Fallon, Blue Springs (MO), Rockwood Summit (MO) and Lindbergh (MO). I really want to see where those two programs go and how they finish up their seasons.

The Murphysboro Crimson Express will take the field in Edwardsville today. I am not certain about all of the competition, but feel we should do well based on the ones I do know!  I have not seen the show yet this year. I was busy when we took the field as hosts of the Murphysboro Drums at Appletime. I give a good report after today.  

It should be interesting this year as we lost a valued director to Carterville. New rivalry!!!

The Crimson Express won their category as expected but it was very close. They beat Carterville by a hair. I think that will prove to be a great rivalry for years to come. Murphysboro took the percussion and visual category awards. 

You could tell it was the first time out this year. The band should get better as the season goes on 

Yes, this should be a good rivalry.  Especially now that C'ville has a new (dedicated) band director. It's amazing what Mr Williams has done for the musicianship of these kids in just the short time he has been here.  Feel sorry for the seniors who only get to experience this sense of dedication for one year. 

Yes, this should be a good rivalry.  Especially now that C'ville has a new (dedicated) band director. It's amazing what Mr Williams has done for the musicianship of these kids in just the short time he has been here.  Feel sorry for the seniors who only get to experience this sense of dedication for one year. 

You guys got a real good band director and a good man. Not that Nick hasn't already done a great job, but keep in mind he just started! Wait until the jazz program gets rolling and more mraching under your belt. My best advice is support him anyway you can...and build a bigger trophy case. (If you need dimensions stop by the Crimson Express room with a 50ft. tape measure!) 

Good luck on the rest of the year! (Unless we are at the competition.)  

You guys got a real good band director and a good man. Not that Nick hasn't already done a great job, but keep in mind he just started! Wait until the jazz program gets rolling and more mraching under your belt. My best advice is support him anyway you can...and build a bigger trophy case. (If you need dimensions stop by the Crimson Express room with a 50ft. tape measure!) 

Good luck on the rest of the year! (Unless we are at the competition.)  

Yeah. We really like him. BIG change from before and there has been an adjustment period for the kids but now that we are winning some they are seeing that all the hard work was worth it.  We just need to get our color guard up to snuff.  We have 4 great girls this year but not a whole lot of time  working together with an instructor. Unfortunately our school has like 20 cheerleaders and 20 poms so that takes a lot from the available girls who would do something like that and with being a small school ....well you know. 

I know of several kids who dropped out of band that are wishing they hadn't.  I think they are kicking themselves for not realizing what an opportunity it was to be under his direction, even if for only a year.  But for the 12 seniors who stuck it out, good things are happening. 

:)

The Crimson Express is going to Washington Mo. this Saturday. It will be the first time for the show and it looks like there will be lots of great competition. I know the Crimson has been working hard at tempo and visuals and should be ready to go. 

The Crimson Express is going to Washington Mo. this Saturday. It will be the first time for the show and it looks like there will be lots of great competition. I know the Crimson has been working hard at tempo and visuals and should be ready to go. 

Alton will be there as well.  Don't know enough about the non-BOA Missouri groups to predict this one. :)

Alton will be there as well.  Don't know enough about the non-BOA Missouri groups to predict this one. :)

I totally agree. In Murphysboro's class there are several I have never seen in Class B - Warrenton High School, Wentzville Liberty High School, St. Charles West High School, Potosi High School, Warrensburg High School, Sullivan High School and Windsor C-1 High School. 

Murphysboro usually competes in one or two Missouri competitions per year with mixed results. Last year at St. Genevieve they took first in their class, first in visual, first in music and had the second highest score regardless of class. At the Potosi - BiState Marching Invite, They finished second in their class and got best music and drum major. 

But there are several bands at this competition that I have not seen. Also, it seems that we have been bumped up (maybe to accommodate travel) and may be one of the smallest schools in Class B. I know Potosi usually has 70 band and guard members give or take and Warrensburg usually has around 90. Our fifty could look awfully lonely.

Regardless it should be a good competition and Crimson Express will represent Murphysboro and Southern Illinois well. 

Holy Cow!!! What a competition. First, compliments to the folks at Washington, Missouri. Everything was top notch, the competition was stiff and the people were very friendly and knowledgeable.

Second, it was refreshing that most of the band present were quality marching bands. Overall the groups were light on scenery, glitz and unneeded elements but very high in marching skills, visuals and music.

Murphysboro Crimson Express was bumped up a class (I think for travel convenience), but still walked away with Outstanding Music, Outstanding Visuals and Outstanding Auxiliary as well as a first place finish in their prelim. Windsor took Percussion. 

In the finals they did very well, out pacing all bands in the Visual category, winning that caption out right. Keep in mind that Murphysboro was one of the smallest schools and bands in the competition. For instance, in the finals the Band that preceded Murphysboro fielded over 100 participants compared to Murphysboro's 43 as did the band immediately after the Crimson Express. 

Overall, in the finals Murphysboro finished 3rd. Quite an accomplishment. 

For the other bands - Overall high quality throughout. A must see is Rolla. They had a high energy show that featured clean marching, excellent music and an on field energy that is rarely seen. Mehlville, Alton, Eureka and Republic also had very solid shows.

There is a difference in style (hard to believe) in the typical Illinois big school and Missouri big school show. That became evident when Alton was on the field. I have seen their show three times (Chutes and Ladders) and it is very good, but they are dragging props all over the field and it didn't match the overriding style of the show, heavy in music and marching. They finished 5th overall and I don't know if they were rewarded for the theme and integration of ladders and slide? They are also the only band to have as a significant element of their performance, the band and auxiliary dancing to a recorded Cha Cha Slide. It was a mismatch for this show. 

There was plenty of auxiliary dancing from the other quality bands but the band actually played the music and they didn't blare it out of loud speakers. The crowd liked the dancing but the judges may not have. 

Anyway to check out all of the scores the links are below. Great job Crimson Express!!!!        

Prelim Results Here

Final Results Here

Class 2A
2:00 PM: Mt. Carmel  - Mt. Carmel has a fun show this year called Postcards. They have placed well at each competition this year. Including a second at Sullivan and a second at Panther Marching Band Festival - Head to Head they finished 4th to a first by Murphysboro and a third by Wesclin at the Edwardsville Tiger Ambush

Class 1A
2:15 PM: Orchard Farm, MO - Finished with a second at Wright City out of three in their division. 

Class 2A
2:30 PM: Wesclin  - Solid band with a show called Heartbeat - Finished 1st at Belleville East Class 2A, 3rd at the Tiger Ambush in 1A and 2nd at the Gateway Marching Classic in 1A. Head to Head - Finished 3rd to Murphysboro's 1st but beat Mt. Carmel's 3rd.  

Class 1A
2:45 PM: Northwest, MO - Finished 1st out of a division of 2 Bands at Wright City. 

Class 2A
3:00 PM: Murphysboro  - 1st 1A at the Tiger Ambush with percussion and music, 1st at Washington Mo. and also winning aux, visual and music. Has beaten Wesclin and Mt. Carmel head to head. 

The competition should be good but it is Murphysboro's to lose. Of course the Missouri bands are a wild card as not much information is available. Murphysboro also has history on it's side. In 2013 they won 1st in their division, sweeping all categories, and 1A to 3A Grand Champion title. Prior to that Murphysboro nearly pulled off the same feat in 2011, sweeping all categories and winning 1St in their division, but fell short in the overall award.

As we all know it comes down to what the band does on the field that day. Both Mt. Carmel and Wesclin have shows that can produce a winner and as said before the Missouri bands are an unknown in this competition.

See you at the show!!!!