Illinois Marching Online
Sign in to follow this  
BandFan17

Evaluation of 2013 Season

The 2013 season, as far as Southern Illinois bands are concerned is pretty much over. With the exception of Collinsville and O'Fallon going to Grand Nationals in a few weeks, this last weekend of competition has wrapped up the year. Belleville East and Edwardsville finished their campaigns (unexpectantly, as some may say) by placing at the EIU competition. Belleville East also had one of if not the best showing in program history at the BOA StL Super Regional. So, now the question I pose to all of you, how would you evaluate the strides made by the regions band programs this season? 

I personally love to see more sol bands charging ahead ! Taking trophys with more vigor and energy seen before. Offalon of course is a power house of music in southern Illinois . It is encouraging to see schools such as Belleville East and Edwardsville following suit. Concerning EIU I'm thrilled at the placements at the beginning of the season I wrote Belleville off thinking they would just bring the usual; however, I was wrong they've  made big strides this year. Concerning Edwardsville , they started on top and stayed there taking home about 3 GrandChampions wish they would go to BOA. In addition, I am excited that Collinsville is preparing to go to GrandNationals! Hope this motivates more Sols to go for GN's as well! Lets go Southern Illinois!!

Edwardsville didn't even go to stlouis super regional so it may be far off from them but Belleville East is headed in a good direction . Coming off their best season yet could be two or three years after they build up a program capable of finals in St.Louis . In addition, I think Edwardsville could make some great moves at BOA if they can find a BOA oriented show

Edwardsville didn't even go to stlouis super regional so it may be far off from them but Belleville East is headed in a good direction . Coming off their best season yet could be two or three years after they build up a program capable of finals in St.Louis . In addition, I think Edwardsville could make some great moves at BOA if they can find a BOA oriented show

I think it entirely depends on the field at StL on whether or not East is ready for finals. could be sooner rather than later if not for the progressively tougher finals fields. But I agree that they are not far out. Edwardsville could benefit from a show better suited for the demands of BOA judging.

Edwardsville and Belleville East also got new arrangers/composers this year, which worked wonders for both.  Edwardsville bought a new show from Craig Fitzpatrick and Belleville East bought an old show from Daniel Montoya, Jr.

I'd really like to see Granite City do a BOA show-they've done a wonderful job the past couple of years as well with older DMJ shows.

I marched for Edwardsville from 2005-2008 (has it already been 5 years?!) and we did a BOA style show (A custom arrangement of Ronald Reagan's 2006 show) my senior year. It was by far my favorite show we did, and I'm not sure why the director went back to the gimmicky themed shows (heavy metal show this year).

Also, I went to the STL Super Regional back in 2011 when Edwardsville attended. I'm fairly certain they stopped going because of how low they placed (13th in their class). I'm not sure if anyone else from Edwardsville frequents these boards, but anyone else that was in the band with me could tell you that the director loves his trophies. We went to multiple competitions where we were the only band in our class. In my opinion, it feels like the work you did was for nothing when you were guaranteed to win.

I'm glad they have finally gone away from that and have actually started going to competitions where they are tested (O'fallon, ISU, EIU, etc.). I would have loved to go to BOA when I was in the band. We probably would have placed dead last, but we would have gotten to see some amazing bands and had the chance to compete on the highest stage.

Sorry for the rambling.

Edit:

I don't think Edwardsville will be going to Grand Nats anytime soon. They may go back to the STL Super Regional, but the district is in really bad financial shape and the budget for fine arts has been cut drastically. Most of the program's funding comes from the craft fair they put on every year and the competition they host. They simply don't have the resources to bus 150+ people to Indy and put them up in a hotel. I'm also not really sure where they found the money for new uniforms this year...