Illinois Marching Online
Sign in to follow this  
OTHSAX

illini festival

Too bad there arent more A and AA bands.

There are plenty of Class A bands....19 in Field. Just not enough Class AA bands, who seem to favor ISU... perhaps because there, Class AA is split into 4A/5A/6A (and also the judging differences and traditional lineups).

It seems like you guys winning U of I only becomes anything close to resembling a politcal competition when another big name school like Marian shows up. ISU is all about politics esp. last year with LP overtaking Marian because of their director leaving (don't shoot the messenger, I only repeat what I hear). Though with the exception of the LP/Marian battle for the top everyone seems to place right where they should except when shows go crazy with voice overs and props and beat bands that own them all season and are essencially better. (Not just us...others have been in the same situation). I felt this years ISU was pretty fair in finals though. East had a better show than us. But LP wasn't on top of their game it seemed. I think that if Prospect showed up at ISU it would go.

1)Marian Catholic

2)Prospect

3)LP

4)LWE

5)LWC

Though if Prospect had a really good showing they might knock off Marian but then comes the politics. What happens when a band that never comes to ISU rolls in and does better than Marian. Marian is expected to win so my guess is that the judging would really be done in the minds of the judges BEFORE the bands even went out there. It would be an uphill struggle but it would be fun to see what might happen!

PS...We didn't do parade my freshman year (before the directors stopped taking us there) so we couldn't win overall anyway because I doubt we'd do parade. But we would place higher than the 4th place we did when we went then. There is such a gap between the levels of the first and second place bands unless a random powerhouse showed up.

PPS...Rumor from the top says that we do not go to U of I because of the lack of onfield judges and because the feedback we got did not help us at all consistantly. I think what I've heard is that they basically said "Great show thanks for coming" and scored us without really giving any useful advice. I'm not sure if the case is the same for any other bands nor am I familiar with the judging system they use there. If anyone could help me out there I'd appreciate it.

On a FINAL side note (I know this is way to long):

What do you think about going to competitions with no competition (this goes out to all the powerhouse band members). Random shows where there is only one or two really good bands in attendance. Any opinions because we seem to only go to shows where LP and Prospect are (at least this year) and it gets tiring losing to the same people over and over. I know East goes to alot of out of the way shows and I also know Mr. Smith went to TONS of competitions at least in 99. Any opinions?

okay...i have alot to say, so just sit back relax and enjoy...

First of all, I agree and disagree that us winning U of I is political. Like you said, there really is no competition unless Marian comes. They came in the 2003 competition and we beat them. Some ppl said that it was because they didnt have their show done, and others said ours was just better...i was a new band nerd, so i really dont know anything other than we won...duh.

Second, ISU. I think we could go in there and win, partially because we are a big name school, and partially because we just have really good music with well written drill, thanks to Mr. Pete Weber, who was also named MAdison Scouts writer. However, the politics could also play a role in our placing. Still, i agree with your placing withs the possibility of 1 and 2 switched.

Third, I kinda agree that U of I is kinda lame in that there are no on field judges, and it is usually known that we will win. However, the welcome we get there and the applause we get makes it all worth it. Plus who doesnt like winning. Also, some schools love seeing us because we are so big and corps-like. For some, we are the only big band that they get to see.

fourth, yeah the tapes dont help much. Most of ours consist of "wow" and drooling. More comliments than pickiness, but our BOA ones were really good this yr too. Plus, we got a 93.33, so there wasnt much to pick on.

fifth, and finally. I hate all of the little competitions that we go to and could basically do a playing arch and win. I'd rather be practicing or going to BOA instead. We do 3 or 4 lil ones a year, and they are just like buisy work.

Ok im done now.

Alton hs,there marching band is pretty good for there size. Somebody told me that at one contest people gave them a standing ovation. I really enjoyed there show machine.

Third, I kinda agree that U of I is kinda lame in that there are no on field judges, and it is usually known that we will win. However, the welcome we get there and the applause we get makes it all worth it. Plus who doesnt like winning. Also, some schools love seeing us because we are so big and corps-like. For some, we are the only big band that they get to see.

Think of how many scores would go down the tube because of that because if there was a judge on the field, would you be more concerned on staying together with your field section, or trying to make sure that you don't screw up in front of the judge?

Um, I take it that you dont go to BOA events at your school. And the scores wouldnt go down the tubes...our scores from one week in BOA St. Louis and our scores from U of I were very close, the U of I one only higher because of the 20 sum hours we worked over the week.

I disagree.

we dont worry about on field judges at all

we march them the **** down when they get in our way.

I had a freshman march and trip a judgle flat on his face and we celebrated. Now we don't go out of our way but we sure as hell don't ever move for them. They move for us and if they don't too bad. And I think they like that. I think not having on field judges would just be DIFFERENT and possibly better. I mean, isn't looking at the big painting an artist did better than looking with a magnifying glass and finding each covered up mistake and small imperfection?