Illinois Marching Online
Sign in to follow this  
Guest Brucknerfanatic8

Marching Band Uniforms

Guest Brucknerfanatic8

When I was at ISU I was paying to the uniforms of other bands just because I really had not really thought about which ones I really liked. So I wanted to see other peoples opinions on the uniforms of the high school marching bands. Which ones are the best, which ones, if possible, just needed little adjustments and which ones need immediate replacement and redesign and suggestions or thoughts if any (what needs to be fixed,where to buy the, etc.). As well as questions as to where some schools got their uniforms.

My favorite is Lincoln Way East's (I prefered last years blue, black and silver versus the black and white of this year which is insane that they bought new ones again), Prospect needs a newer uniform for today's age or at least get rid of some of those chords if possible and Plainfield North needs new uniforms period because of how impractical they are for marching (they look like dresses there so long) as well as Lake Park needs their old uniforms back because the mirror on the chest is so lame and blinding at times.

My favorite is Lincoln Way East's (I prefered last years blue, black and silver versus the black and white of this year which is insane that they bought new ones again).

East's performance uniforms are not as expensive as you might think, and they still use their "old" uniforms for football games.

Guest Brucknerfanatic8

My favorite is Lincoln Way East's (I prefered last years blue, black and silver versus the black and white of this year which is insane that they bought new ones again).

East's performance uniforms are not as expensive as you might think, and they still use their "old" uniforms for football games.

Now are you talking about last year or two years ago and how is it not expensive to buy that many uniforms?

Now are you talking about last year or two years ago and how is it not expensive to buy that many uniforms?

If I'm not mistaken (and I probably am), aren't these new uniforms hand made for each student?

I checked with my sources and while the uniforms are individual sized for each student, they are not very durable- essentially a "one-off" quality designed for one season.  They are more akin to costumes than uniforms.  Also note they save costs by having the guard in the same costume.

Being a parent very involved with Plainfield North band, I will also agree the uniforms need to be updated (As well as our staff).  Unfortunately due to our school district financial obligations elsewhere, there is no money in the budget for an update.  Every 12 years (something like that) they will replace uniforms.  We are only in our 7th year as a school, so it might be some time.  We also have limited resources within our booster organization, our funds are needed elsewhere.  When we have to rely soley on fundraising efforts, and cannot charge the "current" members fees for anything like that, our hands are tied.  We have looked into altering the current ones, but that might be costly as well.  But look out, when the time comes, they will be great! 

I believe that this is similar for most bands, with a 10 to 12 year expected life span of uniforms. Its also similar for high school athletic uniforms, unless the athletic boosters help fund an earlier purchase. While its nice to get newer, more contemporary, and easier to maintain uniforms, I wouldn't worry about it too much. Plainfield North has done well for itself the last few years.

Being a parent very involved with Plainfield North band, I will also agree the uniforms need to be updated (As well as our staff).  Unfortunately due to our school district financial obligations elsewhere, there is no money in the budget for an update.  Every 12 years (something like that) they will replace uniforms.  We are only in our 7th year as a school, so it might be some time.  We also have limited resources within our booster organization, our funds are needed elsewhere.  When we have to rely soley on fundraising efforts, and cannot charge the "current" members fees for anything like that, our hands are tied.  We have looked into altering the current ones, but that might be costly as well.  But look out, when the time comes, they will be great!