Illinois Marching Online
Sign in to follow this  
Dan Balash

2012 Contest Dates

What contest dates do you know for 2012?  Here's what we have thus far.  All dates are tentative.

September 8th:

Lake Park

Stagg

Washington

September 15th

Morton

Murphysboro

O'Fallon

Pontiac

Providence Catholic

Watseka

Wheaton North

September 16th

Grayslake North

September 22nd

BOA Louisville, KY

Edwardsville

Monticello

Wheeling

September 29th

BOA Kettering, OH

Danville

Geneseo

McKendree

Mt. Zion

Olympia

Prospect

Robinson

Vandalia (new in 2012).

September 30th

St. Rita

October 6th

BOA Pontiac, MI

EIU

Lincoln-Way

Metamora

Naperville Central

Normal West

Phantom Regiment

October 7th

Marengo

October 13th

BOA Akron, OH

Downers Grove South (New in 2012: Prelims/finals format, on a new turf field.)

U of I

October 20th

BOA Indy Regional

BOA St. Louis

Effingham

Newton

SIU

October 21st

Sandwich

October 27th

Belleville East (at McKendree University)

Greater St. Louis (CANCELLED.

ISU

Oblong

Pinckneyville

WIU

November 7th-10th

Grand Nationals

Anyone know of any other show dates?

What contest dates do you know for 2012?  Here's what we have thus far.  All dates are tentative.

October 20th

BOA Indy Regional (I'm assuming here, as LOS is not available in the usual date.  This is the only open date in the ISSMA calendar.)

This is also influenced by the availability of LOS.  The weekend of Oct 27 is when Indy hosts the FFA Convention. So, the ISSMA schedule was adjusted to put State Finals on November 3rd...the typical recent weekend for the Indy Regional.

Side note...there is discussion that Marian University in Indy is considering hosting a show on Friday evening, the night before the BOA Indy Regional.  Nothing confirmed, but could be cool to have bands traveling in for the Regional to have another performance opportunity while in town.  I know there is a show like this the evening before the St. George, UT Regional and there have been shows in the St. Louis area on the Friday of the Regional as well.

Side note...there is discussion that Marian University in Indy is considering hosting a show on Friday evening, the night before the BOA Indy Regional.  Nothing confirmed, but could be cool to have bands traveling in for the Regional to have another performance opportunity while in town.  I know there is a show like this the evening before the St. George, UT Regional and there have been shows in the St. Louis area on the Friday of the Regional as well.

I like this idea.  Is Marian considering hosting 2 competitions next year?  They were going to host a competition this year for all of the ISSMA bands who didn't make it on to (I believe) regionals.  However, this didn't pan out.

Drawback to this: Marian only seats about 2,500.  So, if Carmel, Avon, Lake Central, Homestead (they always bring a ton of fans), all come, this could become a SRO show very quickly.

homestands.jpg

I like this idea.  Is Marian considering hosting 2 competitions next year?  They were going to host a competition this year for all of the ISSMA bands who didn't make it on to (I believe) regionals.  However, this didn't pan out.

Drawback to this: Marian only seats about 2,500.  So, if Carmel, Avon, Lake Central, Homestead (they always bring a ton of fans), all come, this could become a SRO show very quickly.

homestands.jpg

The original intent was for the ISSMA Festival Bands...and any who may not have advanced to Regionals.  The facility is great, but does not seat a lot.  Thus, a show that probably wouldn't bring in the "big guns."  Although, we shall see how things go this weekend as they are hosting a really big football game.  Expecting 5000+ people!!

Got word today from U of I that the date for next year's contest is October 13.  Letter said they have a list of considerations for improvements.  Hopefully including a DVD for directors is at the top! :rolleyes:

That and getting the judges they had in 2010 to come back...

WIU: October 27th.

Lake Park: September 8th.

Edwardsville: September 15th.

Also, scuttlebutt is that both the Indianapolis and St. Louis Super Regionals will be October 20th, and both will be 2 day, maximum 60 band events.

That and getting the judges they had in 2010 to come back...

Yes and no.  I agree with keeping the intention of the 4A-6A panel from 2010 (Snoeck, Richard Crain, Ryan Miller, Gary Czapinski), and drop the 1A-3A panel (collegiate band directors). 

WIU: October 27th.

Lake Park: September 8th.

Edwardsville: September 15th.

Also, scuttlebutt is that both the Indianapolis and St. Louis Super Regionals will be October 20th, and both will be 2 day, maximum 60 band events.

So..enter both Regionals.  Perform on Friday at one...Saturday at the other.  Park your band half way between Indy and St. Louis (for dinner/rehearsal) while prelims awards take place.  If you make finals at one..head there for the evening.  :P

So..enter both Regionals.  Perform on Friday at one...Saturday at the other.  Park your band half way between Indy and St. Louis (for dinner/rehearsal) while prelims awards take place.  If you make finals at one..head there for the evening.  :P

I know this is in jest, but I need to play Devils' Advocate.  What band has $1,600 for entry fees for 2 Super Regionals on the same day?  Not to mention the fees for busses/trucks/everything else?

That being said...what if you make finals at both regionals? Which one do you pick? :)

The Indianapolis regional could should be very entertaining this year, as it's before ISSMA State Finals for the first time in almost 20 years.  What band would pass up an extra performance in Lucas Oil Stadium?  I wouldn't be surprised to see bands that haven't done BOA in 5, 10, 15 years (or longer) show up next season.

Guest Brucknerfanatic8

I know this is in jest, but I need to play Devils' Advocate.  What band has $1,600 for entry fees for 2 Super Regionals on the same day?  Not to mention the fees for busses/trucks/everything else?

Apparently, even though it was on different days, Lake Park and Marian Catholic did.

The Normal West Bands proudly announce the

[glow=red,2,300]First Annual Normal West Marching Band Invitational

on the campus of Illinois Wesleyan University (in Bloomington, IL)[/glow]

Saturday, October 6, 2012 - performance times in the afternoon/evening

Competitive classes will be determined by band size, and we are pleased to offer a noncompetitive class which will provide constructive criticism for groups who do not wish to be scored.

The Invitational will be held at Illinois Wesleyan University's Tucci Stadium at Wilder Field, the fifth oldest football stadium in the NCAA.  New artificial turf was installed at Tucci Stadium in 2011.

For additional information, contact the Normal West band directors:

Lisa Preston (prestols@unit5.org) and Ryan Budzinski (budzinsr@unit5.org)

Providence Catholic High School is proud to announce its inaugural Marching Band Invitational on September 15, 2012. Competition will begin at 4:00 PM.

The Festival will feature:

Newly installed artificial turf on Matt Seffner Field

A well-organized band competition that is "performer friendly"

Esteemed adjudication panel.

Great selection of food at our concession stand

Band Directors:

Please register online. by going to www.providencecatholic.org and clicking on Band and Guard under activities. or by following this link:

http://www.edline.net/pages/Providence_Catholic_HS/Marching_Band_Invitational__Ba

Providence Catholic HS Band Parent Organization

c/o Robert J. Sanchez, Band Director

1800 W. Lincoln Hwy

New Lenox, IL 60451

Bands Registering before January 31st receive a $50 discount on their registration fees.

2012 BOA Schedule (which now gives me an excuse to post all the contest listings we have.)

Also interesting to note is the fact that class cutoffs will change for 2012.

Class A: 1-600

Class AA: 601-1225 (was 601-1220 in 2009 class redo)

Class AAA: 1226-1674 (was 1221-1750.)

Class AAAA: 1675+ (was 1751+)

Sept. 22, 2012

Louisville, KY - University of Louisville

Sept. 29, 2012

Kettering, OH - Kettering Fairmont H.S.

Denton, TX - University of North Texas (Site Tentative)

Oct. 6, 2012

Conroe, TX - Woodforest Bank Stadium

Pontiac, MI - Silverdome

Oct. 13, 2012

Akron/Canton Area - Site TBD

Jacksonville, AL - Jacksonville State University

Oct. 19-20, 2012

SUPER REGIONAL - Indianapolis, IN - Lucas Oil Stadium

SUPER REGIONAL - St. Louis, MO - Edward Jones Dome

Oct. 26-27, 2012

SUPER REGIONAL - Atlanta, GA - Georgia Dome

Oct. 27, 2012

Glendora, CA - Citrus College

Towson, MD - Towson University (Site Tentative)

Nov. 2-3, 2012

SUPER REGIONAL - San Antonio, TX - Alamodome

Nov. 3, 2012

St. George, UT - Dixie State College

Nov. 7-10, 2012

GRAND NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIPS - Indianapolis, IN - Lucas Oil Stadium

Also interesting to note is the fact that class cutoffs will change for 2012.

Class A: 1-600

Class AA: 601-1225 (was 601-1220 in 2009 class redo)

Class AAA: 1226-1674 (was 1221-1750.)

Class AAAA: 1675+ (was 1751+)

Why expand 4A? If anything, shouldn't they expand 3A?

Why expand 4A? If anything, shouldn't they expand 3A?

No.  3A is the largest class in BOA.  158 bands competed in 3A this year, 140 in 4A, 132 in 2A, and 55 in A (Note: this is by regional, and doesn't take into account bands that did more than one BOA event.)

If you take out the Texas regionals, which are very top heavy, you get a total of 51 A bands, 119 AA bands, 108 AAA bands, and 78 AAAA bands. 

It makes sense to make 4A larger, as it will create a better balance of bands from 2A-4A.

I'd be all for going back to three classes (I don't remember the class cutoffs anymore), but then you'd have a 14 band 3A finals in San Antonio with no chance for the smaller classes to perform anywhere but exhibition. 4A seems to work pretty well.

387216_858499009318_37704954_38488519_664829983_n.jpg

Greater St. Louis Marching Band Festival (Edward Jones Dome): October 27.

Come on Belleville East, Edwardsville, O'Fallon and Collinsville...come to ISU next year! :)

As much as I, a member of O'Fallon's band, would love to come to ISU this year, the thought of giving up our annual Gold Division Championship at Greater St Louis sickens me. We spent too much time getting to where we are with that compition to give it up. We want the Three-peat, so ISU's not going to happen. sorry

Come on Belleville East, Edwardsville, O'Fallon and Collinsville...come to ISU next year! :)

As much as I, a member of O'Fallon's band, would love to come to ISU this year, the thought of giving up our annual Gold Division Championship at Greater St Louis sickens me. We spent too much time getting to where we are with that compition to give it up. We want the Three-peat, so ISU's not going to happen. sorry

I'd rather head North. More, friendlier, competition. All gives a better idea of where we stack.

I'd rather head North. More, friendlier, competition. All gives a better idea of where we stack.

Like I said, I'd rather head north as well, but not at the expense of giving up a compition that allows us to impose our will and bring home a three-peat. Id rather go to ISU, but its not going to happen