Illinois Marching Online
Sign in to follow this  
Dan Balash

Scores for October 22, 2011

Lincoln-Way Invitational Scores

Class 1A

66.75 Providence Catholic (Percussion, Auxiliary, GE)

65.25 Herscher (Visual)

61.70 LaSalle Peru

59.65 H.D. Jacobs (Music)

59.20 Richmond-Burton

48.75 Elgin

45.05 Waukegan

43.85 Unity

Class AA

79.90 Victor J. Andrew (Music, Visual, Auxiliary, Percussion, GE)

74.80 Naperville North

74.35 United Township

72.60 Huntley

70.75 Yorkville

Class AAA

88.85 Marian Catholic (Music, Visual, GE, Percussion)

84.65 Lockport (Auxiliary)

77.55 Glenbrook South

76.85 Lemont

74.60 Warren Township

72.70 Joliet West

59.10 Hinsdale South

U of I 1A-3A:

Class A

75.00 ROWVA (Music, Visual, Percussion, Auxiliary)

70.40 Tri-Valley

68.10 Blue Ridge

65.90 Ridgeview

Class AA

89.70 Macomb (Music)

87.70 Eureka (Guard)

87.70 IVC (Visual)

86.20 Pontiac

85.50 Monticello

83.80 Newton (Percussion)

83.20 U-High

80.40 Mt. Zion

78.50 Salem

77.80 Pinckneyville

71.80 Watseka

Class AAA

90.90 Morton (Auxiliary, Percussion, Visual)

87.90 Limestone (Music)

83.70 Highland

80.40 East Peoria

80.00 Streator

79.90 Effingham

73.70 Rochelle

These seem like extremely high scores. I wasn't there, but the majority of the bands in the 80s? Wow.

(feel free to correct me if i'm wrong) but I believe U of I doesn't use the BOA system for judging. All judges (2 music GE, 1 music Ind., 1 Visual GE, and 1 visual ind.) have an equal way of scoring. They average the 5 scores (each based out of 200). This is remarkably different from the BOA 20:20:60 Scoring system. This seems to keep the correct intervals of between band scores... but "inflate" the appearance of the final score. (If that makes any sense) :)

(feel free to correct me if i'm wrong) but I believe U of I doesn't use the BOA system for judging. All judges (2 music GE, 1 music Ind., 1 Visual GE, and 1 visual ind.) have an equal way of scoring. They average the 5 scores (each based out of 200). This is remarkably different from the BOA 20:20:60 Scoring system. This seems to keep the correct intervals of between band scores... but "inflate" the appearance of the final score. (If that makes any sense) :)

No matter how you slice it, the maximum final score is still 100.

According to the spreadsheet those scores are added, then divided by 10 to get the "Final Score", which is not averaging them.

Although the sheets are different than BOA, the scoring percentages are the same.  U of I had 2 music GE judges, 1 visual GE, 1 Music Individual and 1 Visual Individual.  Each judge had 20 points to work with; each judge's score was added for a total possible 100 points (not including guard and/or percussion).  Just as for BOA, 60% of the final score was GE and 40% individual (performance).  Also 60% was music and 40% was Visual. U of I scores seemed somewhat on the high side, but if you look at the back of the U of I sheets, the numbers for the boxes are skewed to the high side, and the criteria for each box seems skewed to the low side. I thought overall it was a fine contest, and much improved over what the U of I contests used to be.

Although the sheets are different than BOA, the scoring percentages are the same.  U of I had 2 music GE judges, 1 visual GE, 1 Music Individual and 1 Visual Individual.  Each judge had 20 points to work with; each judge's score was added for a total possible 100 points (not including guard and/or percussion).  Just as for BOA, 60% of the final score was GE and 40% individual (performance).  Also 60% was music and 40% was Visual. U of I scores seemed somewhat on the high side, but if you look at the back of the U of I sheets, the numbers for the boxes are skewed to the high side, and the criteria for each box seems skewed to the low side. I thought overall it was a fine contest, and much improved over what the U of I contests used to be.

The only difference I found was with Visual and Music ensemble scores, vs just individual scores. On most sheets the music indv and ens. is split up, and merged back together to form the 20 point music score (and same with visual). The UofI sheets were strictly individual.

An example: In 2A, I felt that Newton had the best ensemble sound, in terms of section tuning and blend, band balance, attacking together and playing phrases as a band. Looking at the music sheet from UofI, the only part the deals with ensemble music is a section called "Ensemble Cohesiveness". Everything else on the sheet deals with individual players. In my opinion (granted, I know it isn't that great of an opinion, but it is one none the less), if there was a music ensemble judge, who was responsible for half the music score (10 points)...Newton places higher than 6th (and there would be a few other shakeups as well...I just used Newton as an example).

A link to the UofI Music Indv. sheet: http://bands.illinois.edu/sites/bands.illinois.edu/files/IMBC-Individual-music-perf.pdf

These seem like extremely high scores. I wasn't there, but the majority of the bands in the 80s? Wow.

Perhaps it's due to the awesomeness of Illinois bands.  :P

Scoresheet subcaptions (100 points each) say: Superior 90-100 / Excellent 80-89.9 / Good 65-79.9 / Average 50-64.9 / Poor 0-49.9.

The first band of the day (Limestone) got 89.7, setting the bar high. 180 / 175 / 180 / 179 / 185.

The 1A bands following 3A scored 65.9, 70.4, 68.1, 75.0.

Also look at the Key Words on the back of the sheets, at the bottom.  Under the "Average" column, the keywords are "Seldon, Frequent Lapses, Usually, Below Average/Fair". Those would not be my definition of an average performance, which is going to actually push an average performance into the "Good" column with keywords "Usually, Frequent Successes, Good, Average/Good". If you want to place an average performance in between those two columns, then the average performance should score a 65. If you take an average performance into the "good" column where the keywords include the word average, then an average performance would score about 72.

If you take an average performance into the "good" column where the keywords include the word average, then an average performance would score about 72.

It's very interesting that you point that out. On the typical grading scale used in most classrooms, a 72 would be a C (and a low one at that), where C is generally considered the grade for "average" classroom performance.

Shelbyville Scores

Parade:

Class C/D:

78.00 Atwood-Hammond (Music, Percussion, Auxiliary)

76.00 Okaw Valley (DM)

64.00 Pana

53.50 Nokomis

Class B

78.00 Sullivan (Music, Auxiliary)

72.00 Rantoul (DM, Percussion)

Class A/AA

92.00 Monticello (Music, DM, Auxiliary)

87.50 Paris

86.00 Robinson

80.00 Mattoon (Percussion)

Field:

Class C/D

68.00 Oblong (Music)

67.00 Atwood-Hammond (Auxiliary)

62.00 Pana (Percussion)

61.75 Hazelwood East, MO

59.25 Nokomis

55.50 Georgetown Ridge Farm

52.00 Okaw Valley (DM)

Class B

88.00 Murphysboro (Music, Percussion)

76.00 Sullivan (Auxiliary)

73.00 Sangamon Valley (DM)

68.50 Rantoul

Class 1A

82.00 Mattoon (Music, DM, Percussion, Auxiliary)

54.50 Sherrard

Class 2A

89.00 Monticello (Music)

79.50 Paris

75.50 Robinson (DM, Percussion, Auxiliary)

Grand Champion: Monticello

Shelbyville Scores

Class 2A

89.00 Monticello (Music)

79.50 Paris

75.50 Robinson (DM, Percussion, Auxiliary)

Whoa! Was not expecting this from Paris. I have not been able to see their show this year but I'm happy to see that from the looks of it their director has turned that program around.  :o  ;D

Writing has never been my strong suit.  That being said, my thoughts on Lincoln-Way.  Short, brief little synopsis on each band.  I do apologize if I get a little harsh from time to time.

Elgin: Didn't get there in time from work to see you guys.  Blame my boss. :)

H.D. Jacobs: Some intonation problems with the horns, and the drill felt really squeezed to me.  Some nice music in this show, and they deserved the music caption.  Nice ending to the show with the band facing the end zone, marching off while playing with the guard carrying Juliet.

LaSalle Peru: My pick to win Class A.  I guess that's why I'm not a judge.  :)  Really enjoyed this show, with some really nice moments throughout.  Guard had their flags at right shoulder for a long time, with no work being performed, however.  Drill felt a bit simplistic as well. 

Waukegan:  Odd marching technique with the marchers going backwards marching to the drum major's hands, and the people marching forwards going in half-time to start the show.  Just didn't feel right to me.  Drill also felt way too spaced out for a band of this size, from the front sideline to the back sideline, with about 4 step spacing.  Drill also has potential for collisions from time to time, with a few near misses.  Not a bad sound from this band, but the ending kind of fell apart.

Herscher: Not a bad show.  Some individuals stuck out of the ensemble.  If you're playing at halt with one foot crossed over the other, and lose your balance, please don't move.  It really sticks out.  The show goes through the dreams of a child, from peaceful to nightmares. 

Unity: Not bad for a first year competitive band.  Yes, there's pitch problems and drill problems, but they're commended for wanting to go out and compete. 

Richmond-Burton: Nice musical performance.  Some nice sounds coming out of the woodwinds.  Nice trumpet duet as well.  Drumline feature (which is ridiculously prevalent in a lot of bands this year) is pretty good as well.  Some problems visually, but not a bad show.

Providence Catholic:  I'll say it: I liked this show.  The narration is a bit on the cheesy side, but it works.  It seems as though there's a lot of park and blow as well throughout.  Great, great sax solo from Channel One Suite.  Trumpet feature isn't bad at all.  This will be a band to watch out for in the next couple of years, I think.

Yorkville:  Brass sound is a bit iffy to start.  Not a bad ensemble sound.  Nice trumpet solo.  Another show with a lot of standing.  When they start playing Any Way You Want It, the guard starts rocking out on their rifles.  Pretty cool.  Not a bad show!  Good for being an all volunteer band.

United Township:  Nice mellophone feature near the start of the show.  Pitch is a bit iffy from the trumpets.  Woodwinds need to play out; I can barely hear them.  Feet are very good throughout the show.  Brass sound feels muddy to be on the 50.  Nice impact in the ballad; sounds good from where I am.  I like this show musically and visually; not sold on the narration.  I honestly feel it could do without.

Huntley: Much better show than what I saw at Stagg.  Much improved.  Very outside shot of slipping in and taking a 5A-6A Finals spot.

VJA: Very cool start to the show.  Mellophones sound is muddy a bit.  Turn the synthesizers down just a bit, please.  Nice mellophone solo.  Beautiful moment with the guard with the double flags.  I love it!  Great drumline as always; amongst the top in the state.  New Century Dawn on the field never gets old. :)  Love this show.  I think they'll be top 5 at ISU, and possibly in Grand National Semifinals conversations. 

Naperville North:  Vuvuzelas to start?  Really?  Granted, it's Naperville North, so you never know what to expect.  Sound is very muddy to start.  Don't play early, and don't rush.  Cool section with the drumline all playing on handbells.  It's cheesy, but that's what you've come to expect from these guys, with the acting drawing the attention away from the drill.  Hey, I liked it though.

Glenbrook South:  Really nice show.  The singers added a lot to the show with their singing during Make Our Garden Grow.  Any show that includes God Said from Mass is okay by me.  Turn down the volume on the violin solo.  It's a bit loud.  Really nice show, should be even better at ISU.

Warren Township: Fun fact of the day: it takes 10 buses and 3 trucks to shuttle around this behemoth of a band.  Really nice sounds from the band, and they blow you away with their volume.  However, their drill is a bit different of a story.  With a band this size, there's not much they can do visually.  Lots of stand still, but their volume makes up for it.  Really liked this show. 

Hinsdale South:  Sound of the band is a bit rough to start.  Don't stick out of the ensemble either.  Feet are all over the place. Make sure you guide and lateral slide as well.  Nice rendition of Sweet Home Chicago to end the show.  Sound is a bit muddy to end! 

Lemont:  Nice start to this show.  The narration is a bit distracting, but it works.  Nice soprano saxophone solo.  Trumpet feature is merely okay; feels a bit rough.  Get together, guard.  There's a few off.  Nice show!  Lemont is much improved over the past couple of years, and they could take a 1A-4A ISU Finals spot with a good run.

Joliet West: The band is completely in beanies instead of shakos.  Drum majors skip to their podiums, with the drum major on the 50 waving to the one backfield when he's ready to start  Good start to this show. Watch your sound; there's a bit of dirt in it.  Don't hold over at a cutoff either.  At the end of the show, they release balloons like the Glassmen did in 2008.  Nice show!

Lockport:  Another Aaron Guidry show, which really does work for them.  Good start to this show, with a great guard.  Trumpet double tonguing is a bit dirty.  Good pit as usual; one of their many strengths.  Great clarinet soloist that goes up and down the registers of the instrument with ease.  Nice show.  Should finish high at ISU.

Marian Catholic:  At the beginning of the show, an ambulance and a fire truck go rushing past, so they're a bit hard to hear.  Oh well; one of those things.  Trumpet double tonguing is also a bit dirty.  As is usually the case with Marian, it feels like controlled chaos with incredibly high demand.  Fire Water Paper from 2001 and 2005 is reprised again, and it really works in this show.  Love the voiceover that the alternates do.  The soprano saxophone soloist with the brass playing into the ground to end the show is chilling, and great.  What can I say about this show?  I love it!  This will be a Marian show talked about for years to come.  Very good shot at the title at ISU, and might be vaulted into Grand National title talk.

Lincoln-Way Central: Band comes out in different colored plumes by section (which is supposed to create division), with a large tarp on the field.  I'm not always the biggest fan of tarps, as they tend to crinkle when people march over them.  Nice mellophone solo.  Middle brass, watch your tone.  It's a bit bright.  Nice plume change to get to [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ubuntu_(philosophy)]ubuntu.[/url]  The plume change I feel takes a little bit too long to come to resolution, and detracts from what's happening.  Much, much improved from the last time I saw them at Stagg.  With a completed show and all the backdrops and additions, it's a really nice show.

Lincoln-Way North:  Cool preshow really sets the mood of this show with a good clarinet solo to start.  Good sounds coming from the woodwinds.  The band kids sitting backfield were awed when the tents went up.  Sound is a bit muddy at the end of the show, but a very enjoyable end to this show.  I'm still not sure what I think of this show.  Not my favorite Lincoln-Way North show, but it's still enjoyable.

Lincoln-Way East:  Still love their new uniforms.  Gives me a Blue Devils vibe with the capes.  Very cool opening to the show with the classical guitar.  Trumpet solo is okay, with a flubbed note or two.  Show feels as though it's ripping apart a bit.  Nice use of contrast in the flags.  Drumline has a very cool section with wind chimes.  Tone feels like it's being pinched at the end.  Cool ending to this show, with an ending similar to "Blue Cathedral."  I really like this show.  Bolero gets old after a while, but not with this group.  They put their own spin on it and keep it fresh.  Can't wait to see this show again over the next 3 weeks.

Guest Brucknerfanatic8

I guess we learned at ISU that U of I scores are no longer completely viable for most of the bands there and they are just really fluffly and over scored because I would assume, even though it is not always the case, that a band should do better or around the same as they did the week before. You can't take that big of steps backward in marching band this late in the season. It is extremely difficult.

Any scores from Rich Central?

I saw these on Midwest Marching the other day, so I'll post them.

Drumline Competition

49.000 Thornton

48.333 T.F. North

45.333 Rich East

Field Show: (from what I can gather, Music GE, Music Ens. and Visual Ens. were added together, then that score was divided by 6 to get the final score.)

Show Band Class A

57.500 Rich East

Show Band Class AA

85.000 Crete-Monee (Music GE, Music, Visual, DM)

75.667 Morgan Park (Percussion)

73.833 Thornton (Auxiliary)

Show Band Class AAA

85.500 Rich South

Corps Style Class AA

88.833 Metamora (Music GE, Music, Visual, Percussion, Auxiliary, DM)

69.167 Bloom Township

Corps Style Class AAA

71.333 Robinson (Visual, Percussion, Auxiliary, DM)

69.833 T.F. North (Music GE, Music)