Illinois Marching Online
Sign in to follow this  
tinytubagirl

Wheeling Competition

Well, I'm from Naperville North (Go Marching Huskies!), and I was wondering if anyone had any speculations on the competition, 'cause I don't think it'd be fair for me to say already that NNHS is going to win (considering we probably won't).

And what is the proper name for the Wheeling Competition? Mr. Moore only refers to it as Wheeling.

The Chicagoland Marching Band Festival is the name.

Prediction:

Overall top 3:

1. Lake Park

2. Lincoln-Way Central

3. United Township

Class AAA - Lake Park

Class AA - Naperville North

Class A - Morton

Not sure what all captions they give there.

TENTATIVE SCHEDULE

Perf Time School Name Classification

4:00 PM Grant Community High School A

4:15 PM Morton High School A

4:30 PM William Fremd High School AA

4:45 PM Lockport Township High School AA

5:00 PM Glenbrook North High School AA

5:15 PM Naperville North AA

5:30 PM AWARDS FOR A & AA

6:00 PM Davenport Central High School AAA

6:15 PM Lemont High School AAA

6:30 PM Romeoville AAA

6:45 PM Rolling Meadows High School AAA

7:00 PM Glenbrook South High School AAA

7:15 PM Downers Grove South High School AAA

7:30 PM Newqua Valley High School AAA

7:45 PM JUDGES BREAK

8:00 PM Bolingbrook High School AAA

8:15 PM Lake Park AAA

8:30 PM Waubonsie Valley High School AAA

8:45 PM Lincoln Way Central AAA

9:00 PM Victor J. Andrew High School AAA

9:15 PM United Township High School AAA

9:30 PM Wheeling High School Ex/AA

9:45 PM AWARDS FOR AAA

It will be interesting to see how the scores overall will turn out. I'll be interested to see how Morton does against Lemont since they have been in the same class at ISU.

That might be hard to see, though, with such a large gap and 2 jumps in classes between the two bands.

Also, interestingly enough, I think Morton is down in 2A this year at ISU, while Lemont is still in 3A (which Hersher moved up into).

You're right on both points.

ISU has gone completely to strict class placement. They used to go rougly by school size breaks at the 500's, but bands like Morton were in 3A because they were close to the cut-off, and bands like Normal West and Galesburg were in 4A because they were close. Last year they moved the misplaced 4A's down to 3A, and this year everyone is placed exact to the best of my knowledge. If you have 998 your in 2A and 1001 you're in 3A.

You're right on both points.

ISU has gone completely to strict class placement. They used to go rougly by school size breaks at the 500's, but bands like Morton were in 3A because they were close to the cut-off, and bands like Normal West and Galesburg were in 4A because they were close. Last year they moved the misplaced 4A's down to 3A, and this year everyone is placed exact to the best of my knowledge. If you have 998 your in 2A and 1001 you're in 3A.

That sounds reasonable, but it doesn't explain why Herscher has moved up a class... according to the IHSA website, they have 706 students, fewer than over half of this year's 2A schools....

http://www.ihsa.org/school/schools/herscher.htm

Maybe Van Meter asked to be put in 3A, since Macomb, IVC and others make it an awfully tough class...and big too. Normal West and Lemont are great too, but who knows....I'm not sure why Herscher is there...they were listed as 2A on the original posting of ISU classes, but moved after the times were announced.

I think the main reason they did it was to even things out a bit as far as number of bands. 2A this year has a ton of bands, which didn't used to be there.

And IVC was 3A for a long time, all through the 90's they were 3A champs.

I think the main reason they did it was to even things out a bit as far as number of bands. 2A this year has a ton of bands, which didn't used to be there.

And IVC was 3A for a long time, all through the 90's they were 3A champs.

Except Morton, Metamora, Geneseo, and Pontiac are all larger schools than Herscher. Wouldn't it make sense for them to move up instead?

It could be that Herscher wanted to move up. I don't think they were happy with their finishes in '02 and '03 (especially '02).

Comparing scores are also hard to compare across classes if the judges aren't consistent. We know that even though they try, the bigger classes at comps like ISU get bigger scores than some of the smaller bands that play just as well or even better in some cases, just because they are big.

One thing for sure is that competition will be tight and we will all see some great bands and colorguards in all classes regardless of size!!

Scores go up as they day goes on. I'd love for them to do reverse order one year. Put 6A on at 7:30 am and see how they score. :P

It's very weird how they did classes this year, maybe Herscher did request to move up. Lemont has won 3A for a few years now, maybe they think they can take them?

Hey Quinn, long time no see. I am currently a teacher and instructor at herscher. to answer all your questions on why we are in 3A, we requested to move up to help ISU even class sizes out. It has nothing to do with getting away from IVC. We have a better show this year than we have in the past (extremely difficult and fast moving)....ask greg bimm! this weekend we will be at Wheaton North.....here's our schedule for the rest of the year:

Oct. 9: Olympia & Metamora

Oct. 16: ISU

OCT. 23: Lincoln Way Central

Nov: 5 & 6: BOA Grand Nat'ls

Chicagoland Marching Band Festival

Wheeling, IL

October 2, 2004

CLASS AAA

1 Lake Park

2 Lincoln-Way Central

3 Waubonsie Valley

Music - Lake Park

Percussion - Lake Park

Auxiliary - Lake Park

Drum Major - Lake Park

GRAND CHAMPION - Lake Park

Class AA

1 Naperville North

2 Glenbrook North

3 Lockport

Music Naperville North

Percussion - Naperville North

Auxilary - Glenbrook North

Drum Majors - Glenbrook North

Class A

1 Morton

2 Grant

Music - Morton

Percussion - Morton

Auxilary - Morton

Drum Majors - Grant

yeah 2A has been tough the last 2 years.....extremely tough. In '02 the class had Murphysboror.....an EXTREMELY good band. We (IVC) beat them by only .1 of a point. Last year in '03 there were a ton of great bands but we played one of our best shows of the year and ended up defeating other bands by around 5 points.....first time in YEARS that a score gap was that big. This year it seems like ISU is going to be just as tough or even worse. We shall see though...good luck to the other bands.