Illinois Marching Online
Sign in to follow this  
bandsax1093

ISU reviews

Eureka -- Powerful ensemble sound for a band of their size. Individual marching technique needs improvement, especially in such a small group; every individual issue sticks out more. Solid performance otherwise and certainly was not the 14th place band there. Deserved 12-13th, as they placed.

United Township -- Band still plays well, but visual book was just functional like many other bands in finals. Nothing stood out. Somewhat impactful ending.

Lincoln-Way West -- One of the better show concepts of the evening, executed admirably well. Should improve with more numbers.

Warren Township-- Massive number of marchers; biggest of the field. Very lacking visual book. Too many people on the field; everything seemed cramped. If your book isn't all that demanding, technique needs to be near-perfect. It wasn't, but at least the musical performance here was good. Guard supplemented well.

Lockport Township - Top 7 playing group but 12-15 design. If LT can enhance their visual programming, real good chance to move up in the coming years.

Plainfield North -- Of all the first seven, these guys had the most complete package. Very surprised, as I personally had not known them to be as balanced before. There is a healthy mix of performance demand and execution that gives this program a higher ceiling to reach for than other programs. Certainly deserving of 8th this year.

Morton -- All-around solid performance; storyline bleeds with effectiveness to me most at the end. Body parts noted. Probably needs more dynamicism. More of an edge.

Prospect -- What makes Prospect good also holds them back. This is a solid, very fundamentally-sound band, except that the show lacks in overall demand...to the point that I do not feel that the visual, and sometimes, musical boundaries are being pushed. I've been watching them for some time and you know what you're going to get. And that's why things never change competitively with them. There is no ascent or descent; just consistency. Have to respect that but would like to see something different. More risk.

Naperville North -- Not a huge fan of this style, but they pull it off extremely well. Solid auxiliary contributions throughout. Judging this show within its own prism, it's hard to place them lower..but at the same time hard to place them much higher. Musicianship is quite good, individual and ensemble marching is fine. I would be interested to see how this band would do without a halftime entertainment show as their competitive show.

Lincoln-Way North- Would like to see them get rid of the tarps, etc., but this a band on the rise without a doubt. Body parts noted. Better than most in individual contributiion, minus a few stragglers visually. Guard was one of the strongest of the evening. Good job.

Lake Park -- Not a fan of the concept; don't understand what they're trying to get at here, but this show, like Prospect, is good enough to make a serious challenge for finals at most competitions, but is not enough to give the group an inside shot if performed great. Most effective spots are the opening sequence which is very good and limited guard features. I miss the old Lake Park, even though this band still plays smoothly and marches well enough to offset some doubt. You can only perform what you're given.

Lincoln-Way East -- Effective opening , some nice moments visually- demand noted. Show flows reasonably well, but lags at times. Make sure that set-to-set movement is consistent with where you end up. There's a lot to like here, but enough to make me scratch my head as well.

Marian Catholic -- Haven't heard of a show concept quite like this one before and this is an extremely strong visual presentation, but musically I cannot follow where this is headed --no pun intended. Maybe that's the point. Some very strong moments, very demanding music book, voiceovers most effective in understanding the direction of the show, but they may be hurt later in Music GE because this is almost impossible to tie together. In spite of this, overall program should challenge for a national championship again in a few weeks.

I wouldn't make many changes to the overall placements. I think the panel has this right. I wouldn't have Plainfield North over Morton, just as I wouldn't have Morton over Lincoln-Way North. The only argument potentially is having Morton over Naperville North or Lincoln-Way East over Lake Park. But as we see with the scoring spread, the 2-4 bands are virtually performing on the same level, so it should be an interesting upcoming few weeks to see where they all end.

Congratulations to all.

Eureka -- Powerful ensemble sound for a band of their size. Individual marching technique needs improvement, especially in such a small group; every individual issue sticks out more. Solid performance otherwise and certainly was not the 14th place band there. Deserved 12-13th, as they placed.

United Township -- Band still plays well, but visual book was just functional like many other bands in finals. Nothing stood out. Somewhat impactful ending.

Lincoln-Way West -- One of the better show concepts of the evening, executed admirably well. Should improve with more numbers.

Warren Township-- Massive number of marchers; biggest of the field. Very lacking visual book. Too many people on the field; everything seemed cramped. If your book isn't all that demanding, technique needs to be near-perfect. It wasn't, but at least the musical performance here was good. Guard supplemented well.

Lockport Township - Top 7 playing group but 12-15 design. If LT can enhance their visual programming, real good chance to move up in the coming years.

Plainfield North -- Of all the first seven, these guys had the most complete package. Very surprised, as I personally had not known them to be as balanced before. There is a healthy mix of performance demand and execution that gives this program a higher ceiling to reach for than other programs. Certainly deserving of 8th this year.

Morton -- All-around solid performance; storyline bleeds with effectiveness to me most at the end. Body parts noted. Probably needs more dynamicism. More of an edge.

Prospect -- What makes Prospect good also holds them back. This is a solid, very fundamentally-sound band, except that the show lacks in overall demand...to the point that I do not feel that the visual, and sometimes, musical boundaries are being pushed. I've been watching them for some time and you know what you're going to get. And that's why things never change competitively with them. There is no ascent or descent; just consistency. Have to respect that but would like to see something different. More risk.

Naperville North -- Not a huge fan of this style, but they pull it off extremely well. Solid auxiliary contributions throughout. Judging this show within its own prism, it's hard to place them lower..but at the same time hard to place them much higher. Musicianship is quite good, individual and ensemble marching is fine. I would be interested to see how this band would do without a halftime entertainment show as their competitive show.

Lincoln-Way North- Would like to see them get rid of the tarps, etc., but this a band on the rise without a doubt. Body parts noted. Better than most in individual contributiion, minus a few stragglers visually. Guard was one of the strongest of the evening. Good job.

Lake Park -- Not a fan of the concept; don't understand what they're trying to get at here, but this show, like Prospect, is good enough to make a serious challenge for finals at most competitions, but is not enough to give the group an inside shot if performed great. Most effective spots are the opening sequence which is very good and limited guard features. I miss the old Lake Park, even though this band still plays smoothly and marches well enough to offset some doubt. You can only perform what you're given.

Lincoln-Way East -- Effective opening , some nice moments visually- demand noted. Show flows reasonably well, but lags at times. Make sure that set-to-set movement is consistent with where you end up. There's a lot to like here, but enough to make me scratch my head as well.

Marian Catholic -- Haven't heard of a show concept quite like this one before and this is an extremely strong visual presentation, but musically I cannot follow where this is headed --no pun intended. Maybe that's the point. Some very strong moments, very demanding music book, voiceovers most effective in understanding the direction of the show, but they may be hurt later in Music GE because this is almost impossible to tie together. In spite of this, overall program should challenge for a national championship again in a few weeks.

I wouldn't make many changes to the overall placements. I think the panel has this right. I wouldn't have Plainfield North over Morton, just as I wouldn't have Morton over Lincoln-Way North. The only argument potentially is having Morton over Naperville North or Lincoln-Way East over Lake Park. But as we see with the scoring spread, the 2-4 bands are virtually performing on the same level, so it should be an interesting upcoming few weeks to see where they all end.

Congratulations to all.

I don't think anyone in their right mind would suggest plainfield over Morton....and the scores werent that close either.

Congratulations to all.

I don't think anyone in their right mind would suggest plainfield over Morton....and the scores werent that close either.
Now I'm pretty sure WKNDFGT was simply suggesting that there were only two places where placements could have been switched.

I'm not saying this to start any kind of arguement, but as a long time marching band fan I need to get this off my chest.

L-W North enough already. Wonderful music, well marched but is all the stuff necessary? Marian Catholic is too far out there for me. Not sure I would have chosen them to win. Really enjoyed L-W East and Lake Park. Morton, your show was wonderful. You get better every year. It was a great finals. The weather couldn't have been nicer. Those who are complaining about who got into finals, you can't really blame the system. The judges score subjectively and there isn't much that can be done to change that.

Does anyone know what the music pieces were for Lockports show? (Specifically Opener). I know its music of Grainer, but specific pieces?
The show is inspired by Percy Grainger's "Lincolnshire Posy," the Irish Reel, "Molly on the Shore," the Irish Air, "Irish Tune from County Derry," the Traditional English Tune, "Shepherd's Hey," and Aaron Guidry's "Beyond Perimeters". Also, there's references to

Anyone have a youtube link to NN's halftime show? I'm curious.
I doubt its ever been recorded.

HOWEVER, we did not have a halftime show this year because there were only 3 home games.

But in the past, we have done an Indian Jones Raiders march, American Salute (compliation of american marches), we would have done battle hymn of the republic this year (its usually our parade tune with drill) and is like 5-7 mins. along with a Pom feature. Weve done star wars stuff. Famous cow boy music.

Its all general pep band stuff. Things the audience would regonize.

Anyone have a youtube link to NN's halftime show? I'm curious.
I doubt its ever been recorded.

But in the past, we have done an Indian Jones Raiders march, American Salute (compliation of american marches), we would have done battle hymn of the republic this year (its usually our parade tune with drill) and is like 5-7 mins. along with a Pom feature. Weve done star wars stuff. Famous cow boy music.

I'm really glad I re-read the last couple sentences. :$

My incredibly brief thoughts on some finals performances:

Eureka: Nice sound for their size

Warren: For as big as they were they were very quiet. Their size really limited their drill. Just too big in my opinion

Lockport: Was that show bought note-for-note from Ronald Reagan HS?

LWW: Loved the demand for such a small band. Well-deserved their finals placement

Plainfield North: Wow! The surprise of the evening. What a showing for their first time at ISU! Since when were these guys good? Kudos to you all.

Naperville North: I feel they're like the Cadets of Illinois Marching Band. A group with great potential plagued by poor show selection.

Morton: These guys are at the edge of taking it to the next level, and I believe they'll get there eventually. It took me a while to get into the show... I feel kind of left out because I haven't seen the movie. I tried to pick up as much as I could but it was difficult at times.

LWN: I'm glad they used the beige/gold pants this year. It gives them an identity apart from the other lincoln-ways that they so desperately need. As for the show, I wish they would have marched outside the 35 yard line... Still undetermined about whether I like Don Hill's music this time. Score wise, they blew everyone out of the water musically, although that wouldn't have been my opinion.

Prospect: My first time seeing this show this season. It's definitely different than past Prospect shows, but in a good way. I was kind of hoping for a little more both musically and visually, but they were good nonetheless.

LWE: Not going to lie, I had a big problem with replacing the tubas with a synth. I understand using synth on big hits to boost the sound of the band a little bit, but to replace them the entire show? Someone around me said that's cheating, but I will hold judgement until I hear their reason why. Anyways, I feel they tried to pack a little too much into this show. Conceptually it's packed with GE but I feel like I missed out on things at times. Execution is way up there and I loved the body work in the beginning. Love the uniforms, and nice job integrating the guard into the show. Hopefully they can improve between now and nats and don't peak too badly. This is probably the one show I want to see again

LP: It seems like for the past two years they've been taking a new direction in show design, both musically and visually. And it's working. It's about time the old Lake Park started emerging a perennial threat again. Visually they were very clean but I feel the music book was a bit bland, but that's not the students faults. I do wish however they would bring back that beautiful woodwind sound that has defined them over the years. I really enjoyed this show, and was expecting them to place lower than they did, until I saw them perform during finals. Great job.

Marian: Very clever. Very very clever. Personally this is another show that I would have to watch again to pick up on the things that I missed the first time. Execution wise, it's Marian. No need to say more in that respect. Well deserved title of State Champion. Did I see some conversing with Lake Park on the way out? Good to see that friendship is still going strong.

Warren: For as big as they were they were very quiet. Their size really limited their drill. Just too big in my opinion

LWW: Loved the demand for such a small band. Well-deserved their finals placement

Plainfield North: Wow! The surprise of the evening. What a showing for their first time at ISU! Since when were these guys good? Kudos to you all.

Naperville North: I feel they're like the Cadets of Illinois Marching Band. A group with great potential plagued by poor show selection.

Morton: These guys are at the edge of taking it to the next level, and I believe they'll get there eventually. It took me a while to get into the show... I feel kind of left out because I haven't seen the movie. I tried to pick up as much as I could but it was difficult at times.

LWN: I'm glad they used the beige/gold pants this year. It gives them an identity apart from the other lincoln-ways that they so desperately need. As for the show, I wish they would have marched outside the 35 yard line... Still undetermined about whether I like Don Hill's music this time. Score wise, they blew everyone out of the water musically, although that wouldn't have been my opinion.

Prospect: My first time seeing this show this season. It's definitely different than past Prospect shows, but in a good way. I was kind of hoping for a little more both musically and visually, but they were good nonetheless.

LWE: Not going to lie, I had a big problem with replacing the tubas with a synth. I understand using synth on big hits to boost the sound of the band a little bit, but to replace them the entire show? Someone around me said that's cheating, but I will hold judgement until I hear their reason why. Anyways, I feel they tried to pack a little too much into this show. Conceptually it's packed with GE but I feel like I missed out on things at times. Execution is way up there and I loved the body work in the beginning. Love the uniforms, and nice job integrating the guard into the show. Hopefully they can improve between now and nats and don't peak too badly. This is probably the one show I want to see again

LP: It seems like for the past two years they've been taking a new direction in show design, both musically and visually. And it's working. It's about time the old Lake Park started emerging a perennial threat again. Visually they were very clean but I feel the music book was a bit bland, but that's not the students faults. I do wish however they would bring back that beautiful woodwind sound that has defined them over the years. I really enjoyed this show, and was expecting them to place lower than they did, until I saw them perform during finals. Great job.

Marian: Very clever. Very very clever. Personally this is another show that I would have to watch again to pick up on the things that I missed the first time. Execution wise, it's Marian. No need to say more in that respect. Well deserved title of State Champion. Did I see some conversing with Lake Park on the way out? Good to see that friendship is still going strong.

Mostly agree with you thoughts....but Marian scored to high. Should they have been top 2 or 3, sure. Should they have won by 5 points...no a chance. They are consistently a band that magically gets credit when achievement still is not there. Will the a achieve by grand nats? I will assume so. Were they achieving on Saturday? No.

High individual marching and vis ensemble....I really wonder if the judges were still watching when they performed.

Sorry, but no one is ever honest on here about this, but everyone sees it.

Mostly agree with you thoughts....but Marian scored to high. Should they have been top 2 or 3, sure. Should they have won by 5 points...no a chance. They are consistently a band that magically gets credit when achievement still is not there. Will the a achieve by grand nats? I will assume so. Were they achieving on Saturday? No.

High individual marching and vis ensemble....I really wonder if the judges were still watching when they performed.

Sorry, but no one is ever honest on here about this, but everyone sees it.

Obviously, Marian Catholic had a show design and visual continuity that set it apart from the field. Judging from the prelims and finals recaps, they bested the competition in that important area by a longshot.

I was somewhat surprised to see the spread, but then I had to consider the other four bands. Was Marian Catholic complete? Looked like they were. Was Lincoln-Way East better? Not in my opinion. Was Lake Park better? Not quite, though their design was in the top 3. Was Prospect? No.

Technically, I could find better individual musicians and visual technique, but as far as an overall package (performance demand+execution+design), they were clearly playing on a higher level.

Marian won because of demand and the fact that they executed well enough by comparison--contributing to their stranglehold on GE. In three weeks, my best guess is they'll best any Illinois band by 8-10 points anyway.

Maybe this makes me sound like a hater, but I did not see much with Lake Park or Prospect that would push them above Marian even in October. Lincoln-Way East had the potential with the type of show they were performing, but again you perform what you're given and Marian was complete.

And give them a break... they did perform last. It's not like they set an incredibly high score by themselves performing 8th.

The music continuity is heavily influenced by their visual program, but I was surprised they scored as well as they did in Music GE. Just me though.

Obviously, Marian Catholic had a show design and visual continuity that set it apart from the field. Judging from the prelims and finals recaps, they bested the competition in that important area by a longshot.

I was somewhat surprised to see the spread, but then I had to consider the other four bands. Was Marian Catholic complete? Looked like they were. Was Lincoln-Way East better? Not in my opinion. Was Lake Park better? Not quite, though their design was in the top 3. Was Prospect? No.

Technically, I could find better individual musicians and visual technique, but as far as an overall package (performance demand+execution+design), they were clearly playing on a higher level.

Marian won because of demand and the fact that they executed well enough by comparison--contributing to their stranglehold on GE. In three weeks, my best guess is they'll best any Illinois band by 8-10 points anyway.

Maybe this makes me sound like a hater, but I did not see much with Lake Park or Prospect that would push them above Marian even in October. Lincoln-Way East had the potential with the type of show they were performing, but again you perform what you're given and Marian was complete.

And give them a break... they did perform last. It's not like they set an incredibly high score by themselves performing 8th.

The music continuity is heavily influenced by their visual program, but I was surprised they scored as well as they did in Music GE. Just me though.

Again, a lot of words to say "I really don't know what I'm talking about".

Does Marian create a VERY demanding visual package and musical package? Absolutely, and unquestionably unparallelled in Illinois.

However, people I VERY MUCH TRUST told me that Saturday night they looked like an absolute mess...ridiculously dirty from a marching standpoint.

So, my question is...if you sound amazing, have a great colorguard and visual "intent", yet march like a junior high band...do you deserve to win ISU? There's two words in the activity, and one of them is MARCHING.

No question in 3 weeks they will be cleaner and have a lot of those issues taken care of...that's a given. Nobody closes the last 3 weeks like MC...but ISU was Saturday..not three weeks from now.

Well let's start by saying WOW to Plainfield and Morton. I was very impressed with both bands and thought they should've placed/scored higher, especially Morton. What a great show, good job! Also impressed with LWW's show for being such a small band and doing it without a drum major up front. As for the other Lincoln Ways, North's props were too distracting for me :-\ I frequently find myself really wanting to enjoy a Lincoln Way show (North or East in particular) and then the parents' shouting takes away from it. I mean there's nothing wrong with cheering, I do it, but I feel like at times it's a bit too much of it.

In any case, very impressed with Lake Park edging out Prospect and LWE for 2nd, and I thought they should all have been placed a bit closer to Marian. First Marian show in a long time that I've watched and actually gotten pretty into. Usually I just feel like it's ridiculously clean and well played yet bland. I can't wait to see how Lake Park improves their show at BOA. Good job all around! I just wish it hadn't rained so I could've gotten home a bit earlier...

Does Marian create a VERY demanding visual package and musical package? Absolutely, and unquestionably unparallelled in Illinois.

However, people I VERY MUCH TRUST told me that Saturday night they looked like an absolute mess...ridiculously dirty from a marching standpoint.

So, my question is...if you sound amazing, have a great colorguard and visual "intent", yet march like a junior high band...do you deserve to win ISU? There's two words in the activity, and one of them is MARCHING.

No question in 3 weeks they will be cleaner and have a lot of those issues taken care of...that's a given. Nobody closes the last 3 weeks like MC...but ISU was Saturday..not three weeks from now.

I am entitled to my opinion and am sure that there were cleaner groups there, but cannot discount the overall package as being superior. Comparing their marching technique, by indirect or direct implication, to a junior high band shows an extreme lack of knowledge on your part. Actually, comparing most, if not all, the bands at ISU to junior high bands would be somewhat demeaning.

They scored an 86.00 and while that is only relative to the competition, it is clear that there is much to build on in the coming weeks. I felt that the Top 5 bands were very good in their own ways, but that it is hard to make the case for any of the other four to top MC in spite of any bugs in their system.

Again, I am entitled to my opinion and it appears you were not at the show, so pipe down. You have nothing to say because you apparently were not there.

I frequently find myself really wanting to enjoy a Lincoln Way show (North or East in particular) and then the parents' shouting takes away from it. I mean there's nothing wrong with cheering, I do it, but I feel like at times it's a bit too much of it.

You're not the only one...we have some "enthusiastic" alumni who seemingly don't know how to react as observers of a show after years as performers...some of the parents have wondered about this and discussed it in detail, and eventually we just chalk it up to the kids being truly excited about watching their former band mates and perhaps going over the top in their support. The LW schools do seem to attract a large number of alums to ISU. I know my son enjoys catching up with old friends for that one weekend each October! :wub:

I am entitled to my opinion and am sure that there were cleaner groups there, but cannot discount the overall package as being superior. Comparing their marching technique, by indirect or direct implication, to a junior high band shows an extreme lack of knowledge on your part. Actually, comparing most, if not all, the bands at ISU to junior high bands would be somewhat demeaning.

They scored an 86.00 and while that is only relative to the competition, it is clear that there is much to build on in the coming weeks. I felt that the Top 5 bands were very good in their own ways, but that it is hard to make the case for any of the other four to top MC in spite of any bugs in their system.

Again, I am entitled to my opinion and it appears you were not at the show, so pipe down. You have nothing to say because you apparently were not there.

So what you're saying is that were way cleaner groups there, and you're agreeing with my point.

Thanks.

I'll comment on whatever I want to comment on. If you don't like it (or don't view my comments as valid), don't respond. It's JUST that simple.

I'm still waiting for your explanation of my "bias towards many Chicago bands" in the other thread. Should I expect that any time soon?

I frequently find myself really wanting to enjoy a Lincoln Way show (North or East in particular) and then the parents' shouting takes away from it. I mean there's nothing wrong with cheering, I do it, but I feel like at times it's a bit too much of it.

You're not the only one...we have some "enthusiastic" alumni who seemingly don't know how to react as observers of a show after years as performers...some of the parents have wondered about this and discussed it in detail, and eventually we just chalk it up to the kids being truly excited about watching their former band mates and perhaps going over the top in their support. The LW schools do seem to attract a large number of alums to ISU. I know my son enjoys catching up with old friends for that one weekend each October! :wub:
When NN went to the Ypsilanti Regional in MI last year, we had the pleasure of watching LWN perform. And we sat by a band parent who had a tea kettle with a bell shouting "ITS GOOD TO BE GOLD". It has literally become our own cheer now.

I have noticed this cheering thing before. It was when I was sitting by some band moms during LWC show in 07 though. They were yelling everytime they played a phrase right.

I think clapping would suffice, idk if yelling or screaming is exactly the right way to do it.

Just some thoughts from a newbee guard mom. I enjoyed something in every performance on Saturday. I don't understand the judging and scoring so forgive my ignorance on that. I saw programs that looked and sounded really good to me (Lake Park and Lincolnway North). I saw programs that entertained me (Marian Catholic and Naperville North). I saw programs that had so much heart I was touched (Argo, United Township, Morton, Plainfield North). I heard powerful performances (Prospect). Everyone had something I enjoyed watching or listening to. I did notice that Marian guard did not wear their uniforms or use their show flags for their preliminary performance. It felt a little disrespectful to the other bands that were out there playing and marching their hearts out. I also noticed that Marian's guard dropped their equiptment more then any of the other bands in the top 5. There was one chair that never made it on the field in finals. It just seemed as though they "phoned it in". It is sad that we didn't really get to see how awesome they are. Lincolnway North's guard blew my mind. Wow. I sat near a group of their fans that were genuinely cheering for every band, which was nice, but they went crazy when their band entered the field. It is nice to see parents so excited and involved, but the screaming and whistling seemed extreme. I didn't mind the tea kettle guy, because I didn't hear him during any performances. I wish I could have even SEEN the band when Naperville North was on the field, but I couldn't take my eyes off the clowns. Did the clown with the knife freak out anyone else? I am glad the Naperville North fans didn't dress like clowns. I would have had to leave. I won't coment on Lincolnway East other than to say I think the leadership may be misguided. Several of the parents from my child's school walked past a group meeting of that band and we overheard one of the leaders telling the band to beat another school (which happened to be my child's school). In my opinion, if you can't feel successful or good about your performance unless you crush someone else, you are missing the boat. At first I was mad about it. Now I am just sad for the kids that are getting the message that the score or the trophy is what this is all about. We made finals and were glad to have the opportunity to give another performance. We did well in terms of scoring, but more importantly we were happy with our performance. Again, please forgive my inexperience. Are the reflections of a novice even a little bit interesting to those of you that are clearly more expereinced?