2. NN - 79.85

3. DGS - 74.95

4. Lockport - 73.80

5. Warren Township - 73.35

6. Waubonsie Valley - 71.15

7. Naperville Central - 69.95

8. Glenbrook South - 67.30

9. Joliet West - 66.05

I'm surprised by a few things from the prelims scores.

NN so close to LP?

LWW so close to Morton?

So many 74's and 75's in 2a-4a? And all of those bands so close to Morton?

Question regarding what we noticed happening during finals at ISU yesterday: Are directors allowed to actually "direct" their bands during the competition? I thought it was strange to see two bands in finals last night where the director was actually directing the band's performance. One was down on the ground in front ot the large D-M stand using white gloves and directing the entire music on the field, or perhaps directing the DMs. He was standing in such a way that he was trying to hide from the audience (or perhaps the judges up in the box), but obviously could be seen by the field judges.

The other one we noticed was actually standing about 10 feet from the student who was responsible for playing the audio effects for M-C, flipping through a multi-page folder with script/music and calling the cues for when to play them. That student never looked at the D-majors, just the director. If those audio bits get played at the WRONG time, the entire effect of their show is different.

Just thought both of those were rather strange; seems like there should be some kind of D-Q or serious point reduction for that. I don't know what the rules are on this. Can someone explain? Has this been done in years past and we just haven't noticed?

This was a topic in the director's-only forum on here last season. Unless the rules explicitly prohibit it, it is completely legal. I believe it becomes a legit 'problem' if the director crosses the white line into the field area, but otherwise, nothing can be done. I don't approve of it, and I think there comes a point where you have to turn them loose and let it happen. However, each director sees their own role and the role of their student-leaders differently.
OK, thanks. I guess it is possible then that some of the scores might get inflated for "reasons" other than judging or performance order. Personally, the performance of the schools that do this suddenly seems less impressive for me.

From one fan's perspective: If your students are that good musically (and it strikes me that MOST are), they don't need this assistance during the performance. Take the training wheels off; let the DM's take control; and let the band do their thing. If the music book or drill is so difficult that the director needs to be involved directing during the performance, the drill and/or music should be adjusted to the skill levels of the band.

Simply one opinion.

ISU Prelims Scores

Class 1A

1. Eurkea - 64.95

2. University - 62.00

3. IVC - 61.70

4. Monticello - 58.85

5. Herscher - 57.15

6. Watseka - 55.85

Class 2A

1. Morton - 75.95

2. LWW - 75.75

3. Limestone - 70.85

4. Geneseo - 67.15

5. Metamora - 66.65

6. Marengo - 59.40

Class 3A

1. Marian Catholic - 84.50

2. Bloomington - 75.45

3. Rock Island - 68.35

4. Lemont - 68.15

5. Antioch - 61.05

6. Kaneland - 59.85

Class 4A

1. LWN - 82.85

2. UT - 75.80

3. Plainfield North - 75.65

4. Romeoville - 74.95

5. Normal West - 74.30

6. Wheeling - 71.60

7. Argo - 61.40

Class 5A

1. LWE - 79.35

2. Prospect - 78.75

3. VJA - 72.70

4. LWC - 72.00

5. Wheaton North - 64.00

6. WWS - 63.00

Class 6A

1. Lake Park - 80.20

2. NN - 79.85

3. DGS - 74.95

4. Lockport - 73.80

9. Joliet West - 66.05

NN so close to LP?

LWW so close to Morton?

I think finals cleared that up....it wasn't that close there.

ISU Prelims Scores

Class 1A

1. Eurkea - 64.95

2. University - 62.00

3. IVC - 61.70

4. Monticello - 58.85

5. Herscher - 57.15

6. Watseka - 55.85

Class 2A

1. Morton - 75.95

2. LWW - 75.75

3. Limestone - 70.85

4. Geneseo - 67.15

5. Metamora - 66.65

6. Marengo - 59.40

Class 3A

1. Marian Catholic - 84.50

2. Bloomington - 75.45

3. Rock Island - 68.35

4. Lemont - 68.15

5. Antioch - 61.05

6. Kaneland - 59.85

Class 4A

1. LWN - 82.85

2. UT - 75.80

3. Plainfield North - 75.65

4. Romeoville - 74.95

5. Normal West - 74.30

6. Wheeling - 71.60

7. Argo - 61.40

Class 5A

1. LWE - 79.35

2. Prospect - 78.75

3. VJA - 72.70

4. LWC - 72.00

5. Wheaton North - 64.00

6. WWS - 63.00

Class 6A

1. Lake Park - 80.20

2. NN - 79.85

3. DGS - 74.95

4. Lockport - 73.80

9. Joliet West - 66.05

Wow. Wasn't expecting 2A and 6A to be so close...that could've been crazy...

ISU Prelims Scores

NN so close to LP?

LWW so close to Morton?

Let me summarize: if Morton scores a few tenths lower and Bloomington scores a few tenths higher, then Blomington makes finals and Morton DOES NOT MAKE FINALS. When the scores are that tight, it could have gone either way. All I'm saying is that the new rules on who makes finals didn't seems to improve on the "Morton almost didn't make finals" front.

Quoting limited to 3 levels deepISU Prelims Scores

Let me summarize: if Morton scores a few tenths lower and Bloomington scores a few tenths higher, then Blomington makes finals and Morton DOES NOT MAKE FINALS. When the scores are that tight, it could have gone either way. All I'm saying is that the new rules on who makes finals didn't seems to improve on the "Morton almost didn't make finals" front.
I agree...I'm saying shouldn't have been close to begin with. They showed they were clearly top 3 for small classes in finals.

Anyone feel like the new system is almost worse than the previous? Personally, I think we should have the same panel for all of prelims...

I don't think this did the fans justice. For one, Warren didn't belong in finals, and the finals fans were cheated of seeing the VJA or WV that should have been there...

Just my opinion, but I think the new system did more damage than good.

Anyone feel like the new system is almost worse than the previous? Personally, I think we should have the same panel for all of prelims...

I don't think this did the fans justice. For one, Warren didn't belong in finals, and the finals fans were cheated of seeing the VJA or WV that should have been there...

The new system isn't why Warren made finals...crappy judging is why.

The new system isn't why Warren made finals...crappy judging is why.
I cant make any comments on how "right" or "wrong" the judges were on saturday but, yes, the new system had nothing to do with VJA or WV not making finals, or Warren making finals. If anything the judges should have been fresher, only judging the 18 or so bands in prelims.

Quoting limited to 3 levels deepISU Finals Placements

Prospect is going to BOA, they are going to the Super Regionals in Atlanta, Georgia
I more meant Grand Nationals...I should have specified.
Grand Nationals? I don't know if they ever considered it.

Man there is a lot of whining going on this year...

Anyways, I had a chance to see a couple of bands this year. And it was alot of fun. I think the rain delay just made the day more interesting! (sorry for the bands who had to perform when it was pouring.)

But I saw Normal West, VJA, UT twice, Eureka, Prospect, LWW, Warren, and Marian.

You can tell these bands worked really hard.

Marian was pretty mind blowing. And the concept was interesting. Nice to see them trying to be funny at some parts.

VJA had great music and a great show. I definetly liked their show. In regards to their placing, I doubt they are worried about it. You guys are making mountains out of mole hills - worry about yourself.

I think Prospect may have had an issue with Maxing out their show too early in the season. I think they are capable of doing a much more complex show. But either way I loved it. Clair de lune was beautiful.

Eureka always seems to amaze me. I saw them last year and this year. Their drill always seems to be squeaky clean at ISU and they definetly play their hearts out.

I had a band angle for Normal west so I couldnt fully enjoy their show. I realized they played the same song as UT.

UT was interesting. But I was kinda confused about their show, it seemed kinda dark but then it had words like BELIEVE and TRUST and HOPE. But I did get the pleasure of seeing them play twice.

Warren's band was interesting. Of course its hard to get all of them clean. But they played their best and improved alot since the LW invite. They should change the way they tune. Like use mirco sections and tune that way? They werent very in tune during their finals performance.

LWW was a stunner. I did however have a feeling they would make finals. But no one else predicted they would. Their show could go without the temples I think. I didnt understand the purpose of those. But again, a small band who marched and played their hearts out.

So yeah. Thats how I felt about what I saw. Fun day and a great senior year season.

As for everyone else - stop complaining, its annoying. It is what it is and just enjoy what happened.

I think it is really crappy to have 2 competitions in 1. 2 sets of judges? 1-4a might as well have been a different competition than 5-6a. that's not what a state competition should be about. The judging system will never be perfect, there will always be flaws, especially in specific judges, but all the bands should be competing against each other under the same set of eyes, because it's all relative. Don't include bands in finals just because you want to change up who gets in and add smaller programs. Not to say that any of them did BAD by any means, some were quite good. But it really changes the definition of a STATE competition.

Overall, what do you think kept bloomington out of finals, overall they placed 11th in prelims, under the old system they are in finals. I dont see how UT beat them., thoughts please
Didnt see either band. My answer: unlucky. When it's that close, you're just unlucky if you're the first below the cut. Can't really do anything about it. Out of your control. Don't let this disappointment define your season.

I had a band angle for Normal west so I couldnt fully enjoy their show. I realized they played the same song as UT.

'Angels in the Architecture' by Frank Ticheli..Lake Park also played parts of it. (It is one of my new favorite songs :) )

Overall, what do you think kept bloomington out of finals, overall they placed 11th in prelims, under the old system they are in finals. I dont see how UT beat them., thoughts please
Music performance and General Effect kept them out. UT was .85 up on Bloomington in music, and .6 up in GE. Bloomington had the advantage in visual, with a 1.1 advantage.

Well there were different judging panels so I don't think you can realistically compare 1-4A bands with 5-6A bands. and while I didn't see UT or Bloomington perform, when it's that close you can never really know exactly why one band beat another. if it makes you feel better you can say it's because Bloomington played right after MC while UT was the last 4A band to perform, so bloomington's scores were deflated and UT's were inflated. but that would be demeaning to the work that UT put in. Honestly with scores that close it's almost statistically insignificant, because different judge's small preferences start to play a big role when bands are that evenly matched. it sucks but hey, marching band's subjective, you're not gonna get a better system

As for everyone else - stop complaining, its annoying. It is what it is and just enjoy what happened.

Everyone should listen to this guy. I mean, he's from Naperville North, and if anybody knows annoying, it would someone from that program.

Quck question about the finals order at ISU last ight; I'm guessing it wasn't random draw (I thought I read on here earlier this year that it was going to be done that way)?

The chances of the lowest scoring band in prelims going first and the highest scoring band from prelims going last via a random draw seem statistically impossible. So, I'm presuming it was from lowest to highest for the finals order?

Dan, Mark, or other Admins: I'm guessing you know the answer. Just wondering....

Saw something interesting yesterday. While it was pouring rain in prelims and some bands were getting soaked in warm up or waiting it out on their buses, Marian was allowed to use the ISU fieldhouse for full warm up and practiced their during the delay while everyone else sat. Any comments on that.