Illinois Marching Online
Sign in to follow this  
Dan Balash

Scores for 10/16

Post them when you have them!

Side note: Most (if not all) of the staff will be at shows today, or teaching their bands. I will be at ISSMA Regionals in Chesterton, IN, Mark will be U of I. Please be on good behavior, as I expect a good amount of new users to join today.

That being said: Good luck to all the bands!

What a momentous day in Illinois Marching Band history--new format at last. Will be very interesting to see how the day goes. Appreciate what appears to be increased effort by Illinois Bands to make this a more meaningful contest vs a fun day. Hope they can continue to step it up and make a state championship out of this because they have the superior physical venue over ISU in my opinion (better stadium/no highway right behind it with traffic & sirens). Now if they can just woo the great caliber of competition to Champaign...

Excited to see how everything works out--good luck to all and thank you University of Illinois Bands!!

U of I Placements

Class 1A

1. Tri-Valley (Music)

2. Watseka (Visual)

3. Blue Ridge

Class 2A

1. Eureka (Music)

2. Prairie Central (Visual)

3. Macomb

Class 3A

1. Morton (Music, Visual)

2. Pontiac

3. Dunlap

Class 4A

1. Bloomington (Music)

2. Lincoln-Way West (Visual)

3. Washington

Class 5A

1. Prospect (Music, Visual)

2. John Hersey

3. Normal West

Class 6A

1. Waubonsie Valley (Visual)

2. Downers Grove South (Music)

3. Neuque Valley

1A-3A Grand Champion: Morton

4A-6A Grand Champion: Prospect

Congratz to all of the bands today. It was an AMAZING day to be at a marching band competition!

Excellent, excellent work, Morton. Whether it was from pride or from the emotion you put out there on the field (or both), I began to tear up a bit during your show. You make me proud to be an alum!

And congrats to every band who competed at U of I today! It was good to see a new system finally put into practice.

A lot of great shows today at U of I.

Of course, Morton and Prospect both threw down. A lot of fun to watch. I was also really impressed by DGS. I thought their show was interesting and well executed. Waubonsie and Hersey were also very excellent, as predicted. But I really enjoyed every show I watched today. Makes me miss the ol' activity.

Unfortunately, there was a school sitting next to me throughout the 5A-6A bands. No need to name them. But they remained very loud and obnoxious throughout the performances, despite being politely asked to quiet down from various audience members around them. Once again, behavior: Big problem, easily solved. Respect your program. Respect everyone else's programs.

A lot of great shows today at U of I.

Of course, Morton and Prospect both threw down. A lot of fun to watch. I was also really impressed by DGS. I thought their show was interesting and well executed. Waubonsie and Hersey were also very excellent, as predicted. But I really enjoyed every show I watched today. Makes me miss the ol' activity.

Unfortunately, there was a school sitting next to me throughout the 5A-6A bands. No need to name them. But they remained very loud and obnoxious throughout the performances, despite being politely asked to quiet down from various audience members around them. Once again, behavior: Big problem, easily solved. Respect your program. Respect everyone else's programs.

I recommend a quick email to the band's director. Many times a director will not sit with the students. I bet that the director will appreciate you letting them know about the issue. They can't fix a problem unless they know it exists.

BOA St. Louis Results

A

3rd place: Odessa

2nd place: LaRue

1st place: Murphysboro

Music: Murphysboro

Visual: Odessa

GE: Murphysboro

AA

3rd place: Bellevue East

2nd place: Bellbrook

1st place: Irondale

Music: Bellbrook

Visual: Irondale

GE: Irondale

AAA

3rd place: Alan C Pope

2nd place: Birdville

1st place: Rosemount

Music: Birdville

Visual: Rosemount

GE: Rosemount

AAAA

3rd place: Union

2nd place: Carmel

1st place: Broken Arrow

Music: Broken Arrow

Visual: Broken Arrow

GE: Broken Arrow

1- 85.15 Broken Arrow

2- 83.85 Carmel

3- 83.00 Union

4- 79.35 PCEP

5- 77.75 Rosemount

6- 77.35 Owasso

7- 76.05 Birdville

8- 74.65 Alan C Pope

9- 73.05 O'Fallon

10- 73.00 Blue Springs

11- 72.00 Kickapoo

12- 71.70 Irondale

13- 70.80 Bellbrook

14- 69.80 Edmund Memorial

Music- Broken Arrow/Carmel

Visual- Union

GE- Broken Arrow

Fan Favorite- Broken Arrow/Owasso

Great job Murphysboro! First band on, and you win the class over some pretty good competition.

Shelbyville Ram Band Festival

Parade Results

---Class C/D

1) Pana (mus)

2) Oblong (perc, aux)

3) Heritage

Okaw Valley (DM)

---Class B

1) Atwood-Hammond (mus, aux)

2) Ridgeview (perc)

3) Rantoul (DM)

---Class A

1) Urbana (mus)

2) Mattoon (perc, aux)

3) Carterville

Unity (DM)

---Class AA

1) Monticello (perc)

2) Rochester (mus, DM, aux)

Field Show

---Class C/D

1) Okaw Valley (mus, DM)

2) Georgetown-Ridge Farm (aux, perc)

3) Heritage

---Class B

1) Atwood-Hammond (all caps)

2) Rantoul

3) Ridgeview

---Class A

1) Mattoon (music, perc, aux)

2) Carterville

3) Urbana

Unity (DM)

---Class AA

1) Monticello (all caps)

2) Rochester

Grand Champion - Monticello

I hate to be a complainer, but I'm sure I'm not alone in this. Can anyone explain why a competition of this size and hype changed to not awarding captions? The way I see it, if bands are paying that much money to attend, there should be more awards handed out. This year, only 18 bands were given awards, out of 46. The fact that there didn't appear to be a percussion, auxiliary, or drum major judge as there is in every other competition is odd, and quite frankly, dumb. This competition went from handing out top 3 in captions and overall for every class in field AND parade, to handing out 20 awards overall. I assume that there will be bands that will not come back of that. Just my thoughts, like them or leave them.

On another note, Prospect was very good, as always, but did anyone else think they looked a lot smaller than usual? I wish I could have seen Morton as well but I guess I'll have to just rely on youtube videos for their show...

I hate to be a complainer, but I'm sure I'm not alone in this. Can anyone explain why a competition of this size and hype changed to not awarding captions? The way I see it, if bands are paying that much money to attend, there should be more awards handed out. This year, only 18 bands were given awards, out of 46. The fact that there didn't appear to be a percussion, auxiliary, or drum major judge as there is in every other competition is odd, and quite frankly, dumb. This competition went from handing out top 3 in captions and overall for every class in field AND parade, to handing out 20 awards overall. I assume that there will be bands that will not come back of that. Just my thoughts, like them or leave them.

On another note, Prospect was very good, as always, but did anyone else think they looked a lot smaller than usual? I wish I could have seen Morton as well but I guess I'll have to just rely on youtube videos for their show...

There were actually 32 awards. The visual and music awards were monetary and not a trophy. Good idea! I agree that it would have been nice to have a percussion award. Overall a great day for marching band.

That doesn't change the fact that only 18 different bands were awarded something. Probably the best guard that I saw in 5A or 6A wasn't one of the winning bands, so therefore went home empty-handed. Oh well! :(

That doesn't change the fact that only 18 different bands were awarded something. Probably the best guard that I saw in 5A or 6A wasn't one of the winning bands, so therefore went home empty-handed. Oh well! :(
As a director, I have to say I was a little surprised to see that there were no percussion or guard caption awards. However, after listening to the judges tapes last night, I would have to say the trade off was well worth it. The change in judging sheets and procedures actually resulted in our band receiving constructive and applicable critiques instead of the mess of random and haphazard comments under the old system.

And, the idea of giving merchandise or certificates for best music and best visual in each class was rather nice. Something a band can actually use instead of just placing it on a shelf.

Finally, like I tell my students before each performance, if you are relying on pieces of plastic to give value to your performance every time out, you are going to be disappointed more times than not. A good reception from your audience, positive comments from the judges, and the feeling knowing that you gave your best performance are the best ways to evaluate your performance - regardless of whether your band's name is called or not.

As a director, I have to say I was a little surprised to see that there were no percussion or guard caption awards. However, after listening to the judges tapes last night, I would have to say the trade off was well worth it. The change in judging sheets and procedures actually resulted in our band receiving constructive and applicable critiques instead of the mess of random and haphazard comments under the old system.

And, the idea of giving merchandise or certificates for best music and best visual in each class was rather nice. Something a band can actually use instead of just placing it on a shelf.

Finally, like I tell my students before each performance, if you are relying on pieces of plastic to give value to your performance every time out, you are going to be disappointed more times than not. A good reception from your audience, positive comments from the judges, and the feeling knowing that you gave your best performance are the best ways to evaluate your performance - regardless of whether your band's name is called or not.

Seems like this is a big step in the right direction for the U of I competition. Next step: open up the old pocket books and get a full slate of judges, which almost every other competition, no matter how small, manages to have. Having visual and music field judges is great, but visual and music ensemble judges are an important bridge between the field and GE captions. Guard and percussion captions, while not as critical, are something that have come to be expected at most competitions. I'm sure that they can find qualified judges to cover all of this, so hopefully they just do it next year. Personally, I cake do without drum major judging and awards.

I'm not saying awards are the only important factor in a competition, but recognition for hard work is. This is where I feel the contest lacked. Overall though, comments on tapes were either constructive or complimentary. My complaint was that as much money as they make off of the bands, and by cutting the parade, thus eliminating those awards, they surely could have afforded awarding captions to give more bands some recognition. :)

I'm not sure where to place this, as I'm new to this board. But I would like your results to be shown for Class 3A, that the Mahomet-Seymour Marching Bulldogs received FOURTH PLACE not EIGHTH as you reported.

Also, this competition has become very BOA. This is no longer a TRUE marching band competition. And I agree that it is disappointing not to give out guard and percussion awards anymore. I especially miss the parade portion of the competition.

I'm not sure where to place this, as I'm new to this board. But I would like your results to be shown for Class 3A, that the Mahomet-Seymour Marching Bulldogs received FOURTH PLACE not EIGHTH as you reported.

Also, this competition has become very BOA. This is no longer a TRUE marching band competition. And I agree that it is disappointing not to give out guard and percussion awards anymore. I especially miss the parade portion of the competition.

The scores on the main site are incomplete. Here is how they are displayed:

Since we only were given placements of 1, 2, and 3 at awards...those bands have their respective placements next to them. i.e. 1) Morton 2) Pontiac 3) Dunlap

The rest of the bands in the class...we do not know where they placed in the class. So they do NOT have a number next to them. The remaining bands are then listen in alphabetical order.

As soon as we get a hold of some recaps...we will put scores instead of placements next to each band...and then they will be in the correct order...

So worry not!!

I believe the rest of the participants were in alphabetical order not placement order. Some of us like BOA, so we are happy with the changes.