Illinois Marching Online
Sign in to follow this  
NoLoveJustSax

Some questions about Scores

So, I have some questions about how the sections of the score work?

First, what is the difference between "Performance: Ensemble" and "General Effect"?

Second, exactly which judges are on the field? I know the individual performance are, but other than that I don't know.

Third, how does the winds caption work? Is that a separate judge?

Thanks, anyone who answers. :)

So, I have some questions about how the sections of the score work?

First, what is the difference between "Performance: Ensemble" and "General Effect"?

Second, exactly which judges are on the field? I know the individual performance are, but other than that I don't know.

Third, how does the winds caption work? Is that a separate judge?

Thanks, anyone who answers. :)

1. Performance: ensemble typically has to do more with the full band's performance of your music book. Dynamics, balance, blend, phrasing - all the basic things that bands need to do to have a good sound and performance

General effect deals with the overall impact of your music performance. Emotional content and connection with the audience, style and the actual musical construction of the show are taken into account in this category.

So, a band can perform their music book flawlessly, get a very good performance score, but not receive a very good general effect score. Or, a band may have a sub-par performance of their music, but have a good impact with the judges in terms of GE

2. Typically, the individual visual judge, the individual music judge, drum major judge and percussion judge are on the field. Some contests have all the judges in the box, while others might have more on the field.

3. The vast majority of contests use some formula/combination of the music/visual/GE scores to determine placement, while the guard, percussion and DM judges are completely separate categories. Thus, a band may win every caption, yet not place in their class. Or, a band may win no captions and finish first in their class. If a contest awards a winds caption, it's usually a simple average or combination of the music judges scores.

So, the general effect has more to do with the show itself, while ensemble has to do with how well it's done?

And how does that work for visuals? Are they both how it looks, or what is the difference?

Simply put, yes. Performance (whether visual or music) has to do with the technical performance. How well did you play and march as a group. GE is more about the style, impact, and whether your show (whether visual or music) is constructed and presented well. Little things like horn flashes, visuals, movement and transistions come into play in the GE category. Colorguard is also a huge part of the visual GE scores.

So, the general effect has more to do with the show itself, while ensemble has to do with how well it's done?

And how does that work for visuals? Are they both how it looks, or what is the difference?

GE scores are approximately 1/2 about the design and 1/2 about the performance

By the way, I caught UT's show at Metamora and thought it was fantastic. I saw it from the side, so I didnt' get the full effect, but I was impressed!
Thank you :D .... I'm really not a huge fan of our show this year, but what do I know? :huh: