Illinois Marching Online
Sign in to follow this  
briar62

Bands

Let's see what I can come up with on the fly right now....

Newton has a new look of sorts this year, what with a new director and assistant director. It's probably too early to tell how competitive they will be in the area, which is probably the case with any band going through a director change. Hometown alumnus bias tells me they'll be all right though. :P:D

As for the other bands...I'd have to look through my things. I know Carlyle has a new band director, but not much else about the area bands at the moment.

Don't know much about Newton's new directors but looking foward to the change and looking to see what goes on with this shrinking school system. I never hear anything about Dieterich High School they don't march a field show but their school system is growing and so may the offerings there.

Yeah. The fact that they never field a field show might be because they have no football team. I know it's possible to do a field show without a football team, of course, but they might have just never felt the need to do more than parades and concerts. Money could be an issue too, especially now. :/

Okay, here's who we have up this week in competition from So. IL:

Wesclin; Highland; Granite City; Alton; Belleville East; Mater Dei; Salem; Newton; Effingham; Triad; Carbondale; Marion; Edwardsville.

Out of that baker's dozen, Edwardsville and Belleville East could probably be placed on top. If you go by predictions, Effingham should be strong, but I don't know much about their show this year. Otherwise, bands to look out for, in my opinion, would be Granite City, Alton, Triad, and Marion, but honestly, everybody is on the radar at this point.