Illinois Marching Online
Sign in to follow this  
moverholt

2009 ILMarching Bands of the Year

So it is that time of year again where we host our Bands of the Year ballot for the state. We take all of the bands in Illinois and divide them into 4 divisions based on school enrollment as defined by the IHSA. The only exception to this rule, is if a band made Grand National Semi-Finals the previous year, they are automatically in Division 1 this year.

We have one difference this year as opposed to all the previous years. In previous years, the bands on the ballot would be only the bands that attended either ISU, UofI, or Grand Nationals. We read the comments on this system last year by the community, and concluded to do it a little different this year. So we have worked very hard to have every band that has competed in Illinois this year in our database. So now, our ballot is our entire band database, which if my count is correct, is just north of 200 bands.

Voting is already underway by secret ballot by our judges. Judges can either be current Illinois directors or qualified band staff, Illinois Marching Staff, or Judges who have judged in Illinois this year. If you believe you meet these criteria to vote, email dan or myself and we will get you setup to vote.

For everyone else, you may access the ballot from: http://ilmarching.com/botycommunity.php. This ballot looks exactly like the actual voters ballot, except you do not have the option to submit your vote. So...what does everyone think? Use the ballot and share your opinions on who you think should be this years Bands of the Year!

Post your thoughts below about who you think are the 2009 Illinois Bands of the Year in each class!

Division I-10 bands

Division 2-8 bands

Division 3-6 bands

Division 4-4 bands

Div. 1:(random order) Marian Catholic, Lake Park, Lincon Way East, Lincon Way North, Prospect, Naperville North, Downers Grove South, Victor J. Andrew, John Hershey, then Warren Township OR United Township.

Div 2:(random order) Bloomington, Morton, Limestone, Effingham, Pontiac, Normal West, Lincon Way West, and One more...i cant think of right now.

Now that the season is over, here's my bands of the year:

Div. I

1. Marian Catholic

2. Lake Park

3. Prospect

4. O'Fallon

5. Lincoln-Way East

6. Lincoln-Way North

7. Victor J. Andrew

8. John Hersey

9. Downers Grove South

10. Wheeling

Div. II

1. Morton

2. Bloomington

3. Limestone

4. Washington

5. Lincoln-Way West

6. Normal West

7. Lemont

8. Mahomet Seymour

Div. III

1. Eureka

2. Macomb

3. U-High

4. IVC

not sure on Div 4.

Now that results are posted, how about listing the 22 people that got a vote?
What difference does it make who voted at this point? For the most part the results seem reasonable. Sure everybody might have a slightly different opinion, but that is why 22 people voted.

Div I

Marian Catholic

Lake Park

Prospect

Lincoln-Way North

Lincoln-Way East

Lockport

Downers Grove South

Victor J Andrew

O'Fallon

John Hersey

Div II

Morton

Bloomington

Limestone

Lincoln Way-West

Normal West

Washington

United Township

Lemont

Div III

Eureka

U-High

Macomb

IVC

Prairie Central

Murphysboro

Div IV

PBL

ROWVA

Altwood-Hammond

Tri-Valley

What difference does it make who voted at this point? For the most part the results seem reasonable. Sure everybody might have a slightly different opinion, but that is why 22 people voted.

I only asked WHO voted, not who voted and how. I'm not agreeing or disagreeing with the placements-- just curious to see the diversity of who's qualified to make such decisions.

directors, judges and our staff members... all people that have watched enough band to make a qualified decision. In fact, I'm willing to bet that our staff on the board watched more shows this year than most directors.

I only asked WHO voted, not who voted and how. I'm not agreeing or disagreeing with the placements-- just curious to see the diversity of who's qualified to make such decisions.
As a rule we keep voters totally anonymous. That is who they are and who they voted for.

O'Fallon was WAYYYY underrated by the panel. They almost made BOA semi's for goodness sake, and the voters had them behind Naperville North, VJA, Lincoln-Way Central and Hersey? I could see maybe an argument for LWE and LWN, but please...

Lame.

O'Fallon was WAYYYY underrated by the panel. They almost made BOA semi's for goodness sake, and the voters had them behind Naperville North, VJA, Lincoln-Way Central and Hersey? I could see maybe an argument for LWE and LWN, but please...

Lame.

Agreed!

Lame.

I'll agree.

We had 10 people vote for O'Fallon. No one had them higher than 5th.

Lame.

I'll agree.

We had 10 people vote for O'Fallon. No one had them higher than 5th.

I was a little surprised by where they placed in there as well... although I would have been far more surprised had they not been on the list.

I think the reason O'Fallon is so underrated is because they never come to Chicago shows or ISU. Since this forum usually ends up directed towards central and northern competitions, O'Fallon never gets any of the spotlight. Of course, I do agree that they are an amazing band.

I think the reason O'Fallon is so underrated is because they never come to Chicago shows or ISU. Since this forum usually ends up directed towards central and northern competitions, O'Fallon never gets any of the spotlight. Of course, I do agree that they are an amazing band.
Another example of the needs for this site... exposure and coverage across the state. At the same time, those who voted should have been aware of what was happening at O'Fallon this year. Even before Grand Nationals they were having a great season.

Another example of why we need a state-run system......