Illinois Marching Online
Sign in to follow this  
Dan Balash

Scores for 10/24

Honestly, it was late, I was tired. People had already mentioned the scores and such. I don't do reviews because I really don't know enough about the art to constitute one. Sorry I didn't complete my list last night. For future competitions, expect 8 observations for the most part.

Oh ok - glad that got cleared up because instead of just saying this - you kept deleting my posts when I had mentioned you liking Lincoln Ways more than some of the other schools............made me wonder...........

:)

Back to topic.............scores from ISU anyone?

My big thing this year was that I really wasn't a fan of any of the shows but Park's. I thought Marian's drill was insanely dull. Prospect's show just didn't interest me. LWE's show was just a bit over the top and wasn't performed as well as I remember them. LWN's show also just didn't interest me. I somewhat enjoyed NN's show, but they really could use some harder drill and music. I just felt like a lot of the bands were better than the shows they were given. It wasn't as spectacular a night as I was expecting it to be. Lots of great things, don't get me wrong, but I expected a lot more.
I enjoyed Lake Park, they brought some different music and actions to the table, and I always enjoy that. But that's just me.

i see where you are coming from with the harder drill and music. And I don't know if this is how it works, but i think executing harder drill and music almost equally well as someone who executes drill and music that's WAY easier constitutes the band who pushes the envelope scoring higher. I mean I think it reads somewhere in the judging description in the program that difficulty level is taken into account, but I'm gonna go with no, it wasn't...

Lockport got a gift. I'd say there's about 4-5 bands (Morton, Limestone, DGS, Warren Township, etc.) who would have easily made a top 10 score had they had the last spot on the day. The fact that Morton didn't score in the top 10 in prelims is not only laughable, but a pretty strong indictment of the disadvantages 1A-3A groups (not named Marian Catholic) have at ISU.

I'm very proud of Bloomington. I think they earned it this year, and hats off to them.

Still waiting on prelims scores, but I'm betting that the judges really pumped up scores in 5A and 6A.

The fact that Morton didn't score in the top 10 in prelims is not only laughable, but a pretty strong indictment of the disadvantages 1A-3A groups (not named Marian Catholic) have at ISU.

100% agreed. Morton, I believe, should have been scored higher and in the Top 10. I thought the judges at finals were able to get it a little more accurate, in my opinon, with regards to Morton's placement (although I still thought maybe a little higher).

Morton was pretty good this year. Apparently, from resources, I heard they lost overall to DGS. But of course, since in top class scores, they go to finals. I also want to say I was shocked by LWE placement on finals. They did a great job. I enjoyed NN show. I had to say I focused more on the silent story then the band, ha. Congrats to lockport and Bloomington and LWC who few thought would not make it, great job. Are they going to post reviews on this site like so at Lake Park?

Morton was pretty good this year. Apparently, from resources, I heard they lost overall to DGS. But of course, since in top class scores, they go to finals. I also want to say I was shocked by LWE placement on finals. They did a great job. I enjoyed NN show. I had to say I focused more on the silent story then the band, ha. Congrats to lockport and Bloomington and LWC who few thought would not make it, great job. Are they going to post reviews on this site like so at Lake Park?
Dan took notes...how long it takes him to type them out and post them is anyone's guess

Morton was pretty good this year. Apparently, from resources, I heard they lost overall to DGS. But of course, since in top class scores, they go to finals.

I agree with Robes when he said "but I'm betting that the judges really pumped up scores in 5A and 6A."

So in prelims, I think that inflation was worse than it's been in recent years. But justice was served in finals, so I'm not so concerned about it.

I mostly agree with the finals placements from 12th-7th. It was nice to see Morton's apparent large jump from prelims to finals, although that could just be a result of the different panels. Congrats to Bloomington for their run in finals, as well as to Eureka, whose show I did not see much of but I know was very special to them. It would've been cool to see Morton finally overtake VJA, but oh well. Both performed very well.

It's difficult to express my frustration with 6th-4th. LWN's show didn't really impress me (I thought it dragged on after a point, and covering the field in beige is not very appealing to the eye) but it was performed very well, and the musical selection was very good. I unfortunately did not see LWE, so I can't attest to whether LWN has really surpassed them or not. But I can say pretty confidently that NN has not surpassed either. During their show, I made a conscious effort to not watch the performers in the front and actually watch the marching band. What I saw was forms that consistently did not hit, very little actual marching (bouncy walking is cute, but not marching), and music that, without the performers to supplement it, was pretty uninteresting. This group does have high level of crowd appeal, and all together with the performers it is an entertaining show, but from a marching band standpoint (I'm fairly certain we were at a marching band competition) the show just does not stack up to LWE and LWN. I am disappointed by this result.

*braces for impact from NNHSax*

3rd-1st are pretty agreeable to me. Marian's show is alright, but it doesn't hold attention musically. Lake Park's show has been a favorite of mine since early in the season. I love the legitimate GE they get from the drumming on wooden boxes. I suppose that I would have placed them above Marian, but it's pretty much a toss-up. Prospect's show was very clean, and it looked like they had a great time performing it. I wish I had been paying attention to the color-changing girl behind the umbrellas! I was a at a good angle to witness the miracle :P

Overall, ISU this year was interesting. Either we're going to see some shifts of power in the IL marching scene in coming years, or the judging was wacky. I guess we'll see!

I think you are missing the point of what some posters are trying to say. In prelims Morton very well may have been behind DGS....however, based on their finals placement they demonstrated that they should have been a top 10 in the first place. Basically, they think had Morton performed in a 5A or 6A time slot they would have been top 10 in prelims and none of us would be having this conversation.

I would have to completely agree with this sentiment. This doesn't take away from what DGS or anybody else did in prelims. It just shows some of the flaws in how the contest is set up from a logistics standpoint.

1A through 3A are at a disadvantage in general. We don't have a climate controlled environment like the dome for Indiana State Finals. So when you try to judge throughout a day across classes when the weather was vastly better for all the 4A-6A bands, it is almost impossible to compare. The judges try to take that into account, but it can be difficult.

For the record, I do think DGS should have been one of the finalists.

This is also why I think some states don't do a judge across all the classes sort of contest. I personally like it here at ISU. It is fun to pit the big schools agains the smaller etc. If you just judge across 1 class at a time to award a class title however, the conditions are going to be reasonably similar for those groups.

Basically, I don't think those who "beat" said earlier bands can read to much into it, but enjoy that particular result for what it is. However, the finals results should make some people do a double take as to the number management throughout the day. Essentially....if a group late in the day was a top ten ahead of DGS and then say Morton beat that band in Finals, it suggests where DGS might have fallen had they also been in finals...just a thought.

For the record, I think DGS should have made finals.

Basically, I don't think those who "beat" said earlier bands can read to much into it, but enjoy that particular result for what it is. However, the finals results should make some people do a double take as to the number management throughout the day. Essentially....if a group late in the day was a top ten ahead of DGS and then say Morton beat that band in Finals, it suggests where DGS might have fallen had they also been in finals...just a though.

There's only 3 bands who fit the criteria you speak of. However - your point is accurate.

If you thought DGS should have made finals - who would you have had out?

So in prelims, I think that inflation was worse than it's been in recent years. But justice was served in finals, so I'm not so concerned about it.

?? That's a pretty vague statement.

What I meant was the apparent spread of scores, just by looking at placements, was particularly wide. But again, this could have been a result of poor weather for early classes.

"Justice is served" is a bit harsh. I meant essentially that the placement of finals bands was more indicative of how those bands performed, not of what order they performed.

Will there be videos posted of the prelims and finals this year? (I was stuck in the side bleachers for 5A and 6A and my band didn't stay for finals, so a lot of the shows, especially NN, were lost on me) Also, does anyone know when we could expect recaps and such?

I mostly agree with the finals placements from 12th-7th. It was nice to see Morton's apparent large jump from prelims to finals, although that could just be a result of the different panels. Congrats to Bloomington for their run in finals, as well as to Eureka, whose show I did not see much of but I know was very special to them. It would've been cool to see Morton finally overtake VJA, but oh well. Both performed very well.

It's difficult to express my frustration with 6th-4th. LWN's show didn't really impress me (I thought it dragged on after a point, and covering the field in beige is not very appealing to the eye) but it was performed very well, and the musical selection was very good. I unfortunately did not see LWE, so I can't attest to whether LWN has really surpassed them or not. But I can say pretty confidently that NN has not surpassed either. During their show, I made a conscious effort to not watch the performers in the front and actually watch the marching band. What I saw was forms that consistently did not hit, very little actual marching (bouncy walking is cute, but not marching), and music that, without the performers to supplement it, was pretty uninteresting. This group does have high level of crowd appeal, and all together with the performers it is an entertaining show, but from a marching band standpoint (I'm fairly certain we were at a marching band competition) the show just does not stack up to LWE and LWN. I am disappointed by this result.

3rd-1st are pretty agreeable to me. Marian's show is alright, but it doesn't hold attention musically. Lake Park's show has been a favorite of mine since early in the season. I love the legitimate GE they get from the drumming on wooden boxes. I suppose that I would have placed them above Marian, but it's pretty much a toss-up. Prospect's show was very clean, and it looked like they had a great time performing it. I wish I had been paying attention to the color-changing girl behind the umbrellas! I was a at a good angle to witness the miracle :P

Overall, ISU this year was interesting. Either we're going to see some shifts of power in the IL marching scene in coming years, or the judging was wacky. I guess we'll see!

if I'm being brutally honest, which I am, in my opinion NN didn't surpass LWE, Morton, or VJA. (being brutally honest does NOT mean attacking) the quoted post above is correct about forms not hitting [with VERY little marching overall] I saw some sloppy step offs too. There is no opinions when it comes to sloppy marching. We can discuss all day about what level a show actually is, and never get a definitive answer, but sloppy is sloppy and you can't deny it.

Basically, I don't think those who "beat" said earlier bands can read to much into it, but enjoy that particular result for what it is. However, the finals results should make some people do a double take as to the number management throughout the day. Essentially....if a group late in the day was a top ten ahead of DGS and then say Morton beat that band in Finals, it suggests where DGS might have fallen had they also been in finals...just a though.

There's only 3 bands who fit the criteria you speak of. However - your point is accurate.

If you thought DGS should have made finals - who would you have had out?

Its a close call.

If DGS made finals, I'd have to say Bloomington would have been out. But thats just my opinion.

I sort of agree with you. I feel that Morton should have been in the Top 10 - and whoever was the 10th band in (don't know who yet - could have been Bloomington, or LWC, or Lockport really but right now just have to speculate Bloomington since they were 11th - we'll see when we get recaps) therefore would have been out. Not attacking any of them by ANY means...........just stating that had it gone the way of Morton in Top 10 - the fact is one less band would have been in finals.

Not an attack - just an opinion (and fact regarding # of bands in finals). I figure that's ok to share since others are sharing their opinions.

*hides in the dark corner*

There's a lot of Morton love on these boards.

I've never taken score inflation seriously, it seems kinda like a "Me Against the World"/Oakland Radiers paradox to me.

As long as my band makes it to Finals I knew we had a very good chance if we put all our efforts to have the best show of the day @ night.

I was cold as heck last night... but I was glad to see the finals from end to finish! I'm still not a fan of props but I certainly don't 'judge' each band, positively or negatively, if they have props or not. I judge each band as to how well they performed their music, their drills and their overall performance. I base my opinion according to the intricacy of their drills, the sound of their music, how both affected the entire show and if I were to take away the props, would the show still made a decent show? Did they 'deliver' the show? Of course, I heard a lot of wows and ughs in the stands, especially from those 'inexperienced' eyes and ears and I just shook my head. I was not surprised of the placement. Lake Park's show was awesome and I'm a big fan of their show this year. I had a slight indecision that they could possibly 'bump' Maria off first place but changed my mind seconds before the announcement. Whew! I'm totally confused by the other placements though. I can't wait to see the scores. For now, all I can say is that "Thank You" for a wonderful day. I'm so looking forward to watching the ISU finals dvd! And I'm also looking forward to watching upcoming band competition at BOAs.

Ironic, aren't these the same people that some of these people were excited about a more "accurate scoring because of BOA and DCI judges?"

but anyways, the whole point of NN's show is "silent movies" if you took away the movie, then the music won't make sense, if you took away the music

therefore (common sense people) music + silent movie = GE $$$

and not to mention it would DEFINITELY take a lot to impress the judges enough to tie NN and Lake Park

sadly, sometimes the acting DOES take away some of the drill when we want it, I think some people still are missing out on the drill, we didn't get any applause on our suicide block as we used to :[, oh well, it doesn't matter, the season's over, everyone just go follow Marian Catholic and LP and support and IL bands going to GN instead of complaining about how the BOA/DCI judges weren't acting very BOA/DCI-like

sadly, sometimes the acting DOES take away some of the drill when we want it, I think some people still are missing out on the drill, we didn't get any applause on our suicide block as we used to

what suicide block? describe this set for me. i'm interested. idk. maybe i did see it, because i peeled my eyes off the acting as much as I could. but do explain!

sadly, sometimes the acting DOES take away some of the drill when we want it, I think some people still are missing out on the drill, we didn't get any applause on our suicide block as we used to

what suicide block? describe this set for me. i'm interested. idk. maybe i did see it, because i peeled my eyes off the acting as much as I could. but do explain!

The suicide block is NN's signature move according to our director, because we do it every year and we are the only band that Ive seen do it.

Its when either 4 seperate blocks marching straight into eachother and come out perfectly the same or when a big block breaks into 4 different blocks.

Also congrats to all bands at ISU! I was impressed with all the bands that went! Great job!

Balash edit: Please don't post links to BOA videos.

For anyone who was at ISU:

What do you guys think Lake Park's chances are at GN?

Semi-finals for sure. I think close to finals but not quite in.

Agreed, they're definitely going to do better than they have in previous years. I'd say arround 20th-15th depending on how the rest of the season goes for them.