Illinois Marching Online
Sign in to follow this  
Dan Balash

Scores for 10/17

Okay......Prospect is usually a band that does both extremely well...and seeing their drill, I can see major drop in their dedication. Lots of lack of cover/guide and lots of bad spacing. The drill itself was amazing, as it always is, but their execution was lower than usual. The thing is though....with parade, you can really show precision at U of I. The judges see foot phasing and out of step marchers much easier, whereas that can be harder to notice on the field (due solely to the fact that the judging press box is so very high).

Also, if you didn't realize, Macomb won by 15 pts or so in B/C/D, showing a great dedication to both parade and field.

Why are you so keen on making it sound like its not a big deal? It comes off as sounding defensive.
Because it's not a big deal. It's a parade.

That's not defensive...that's reality. If you want to act like it's a big deal, that's fine, but I think marching in a straight line down a street for half a block is about the least accurate way you can tell if a marching band has skill or not.

Why are you so keen on making it sound like its not a big deal? It comes off as sounding defensive.
Because it's not a big deal. It's a parade.

That's not defensive...that's reality. If you want to act like it's a big deal, that's fine, but I think marching in a straight line down a street for half a block is about the least accurate way you can tell if a marching band has skill or not.

It's purely to see the basic marching technique of the band. Look at it this way: when you are marching around the field at 180-some odd beats a minute with visuals and music, you're probably going to be a bit sidetracked from the very most basics of marching. Sure, you'll notice if it's extreemly unclean, but for the most part, there are other things to look at. Marching parades highlights the more little details of basic marching. While my band doesn't particularly place high importance on it, it can still say something about a band and how well they can march.

because there is a good portion of merit to both sides of this....we are now moving on

Anyone else REALLY happy that Hersey won?? Much better execution than Prospect this year.

I think everyone likes an underdog, but I wouldn't say that I'm "REALLY happy" about the results. Not to beat a dead horse, but you really have to take the system that is used to determine the final results. It's also unfortunate to see a program that has less variety, less creativity, less demand, and an overall smaller level of sophistication to the program end up on top. It's not much different than seeing a program like Dunlap end up where they did previously. *shrug*

It's also unfortunate to see a program that has less variety, less creativity, less demand, and an overall smaller level of sophistication to the program end up on top.

But it's not about that, it's about the execution. I can't really comment on either of the shows because I was warming up during both Hersey and Prospect, but your post says nothing about execution, which I can comment on. Maybe Prospect did have a more demanding program, but if Hersey executed it better, then does that really matter? You're not judged on how cool your show is, you're judged on how well you execute it.

It's also unfortunate to see a program that has less variety, less creativity, less demand, and an overall smaller level of sophistication to the program end up on top.

But it's not about that, it's about the execution. I can't really comment on either of the shows because I was warming up during both Hersey and Prospect, but your post says nothing about execution, which I can comment on. Maybe Prospect did have a more demanding program, but if Hersey executed it better, then does that really matter? You're not judged on how cool your show is, you're judged on how well you execute it.

Actually, it is about BOTH. Well, maybe not so much at UofI, but in general it normally is. And you are right, my post was not complete without the mention of execution. The level of demand and the level of execution typically go hand in hand and it is impossible to consider one without the other as most judges sheets clearly state. Even if one would conclude that Prospect had some level of "dirt" in their field performance, the level of demand really could equate to a higher overall result in relation to a moderately well performed show with significantly less variety or demand.

BUT, I concede here since this is in regard to UofI...

At the same time I was responding to someone who had asked if people were "really happy" about the results. So, when you take someone's post and only quote part of it can sometimes take things out of context.

So I keep reading that Prospect had more demanding drill than Hersey. I fully feel that Hersey has extremley easy drill, which is easier to clean. I don't think they could handle the drill that prospect had this year. I also think that there is no way Prospect should have gotten such a low score in parade. Were they marching backward or something? A whole 8 points? Give me a break. Prospect puts in so much dedication and time and they fully deserved to win U of I this year.

And the Wedding... Please, you have got to be kidding me. And how rude do you have to be to go on the field while there is someone performing. How would they have liked it if a band started playing while they were saying their vows. Come on.

So I keep reading that Prospect had more demanding drill than Hersey. I fully feel that Hersey has extremley easy drill, which is easier to clean. I don't think they could handle the drill that prospect had this year. I also think that there is no way Prospect should have gotten such a low score in parade. Were they marching backward or something? A whole 8 points? Give me a break. Prospect puts in so much dedication and time and they fully deserved to win U of I this year.

And the Wedding... Please, you have got to be kidding me. And how rude do you have to be to go on the field while there is someone performing. How would they have liked it if a band started playing while they were saying their vows. Come on.

Even if one would conclude that Prospect had some level of "dirt" in their field performance, the level of demand really could equate to a higher overall result in relation to a moderately well performed show with significantly less variety or demand.

no matter what bands you compare, I agree. I'm not going to give and opinion about prospect and hersey. just liked the statement overall.

Because I am an idiot and completely forgot to post these 2 weeks ago...

Sandwich Field/Parade show:

Parade

Class C

1st Dwight

2nd Prophetstown

Class B

5th Rochelle

4th Marengo

3rd Plano

2nd Evergreen Park

1st Grayslake North

Class A

2nd Rolling Meadows

1st Yorkville

Field Show

Class C

1st Dwight (Music, Visual, Percussion, Drum Major)

2nd Prophetstown (Aux)

Class B

4th Marengo

3rd Evergreen Park

2nd Rochelle (Music, Visual, Aux)

1st Grayslake North (Perc, Drum Major)

Class A

5th= Eisenhower

4th= Brother Rice/St. Laurence (Drum Major)

3rd= Yorkville (Perc)

2nd= Rolling Meadows (Aux)

1st= T.F. South (Music, Visual, Drum Major)