Illinois Marching Online
Sign in to follow this  
Dan Balash

Scores for 10/17

On another note, I was thoroughly impressed with Hersey. I was a little surprised that Prospect won. They had a good show, but in my humble opinion, Hersey outperformed. Another distracting aspect were the shirtless "men" with Pontiac painted on their chest. If those were my students, they would have had their parents called to come pick them up.

It's only showing some school spirit. I hate looking around and seeing bands leaving early, not cheering for other bands, or heck, not even cheering that much for their own. It was nice to see some more schools with some spirit this year, especially since a freshman guy in my band started that stadium-wide wave. ;)

I also didn't like the whole wedding thing either--I mean, did anyone? As a band member, I felt extremely inferior. I mean I know a wedding is a couple's "special day" and all, but how about planning a little better? The music was extremely distracting during some of the class A band field performances. I didn't like how everything felt so rushed this year, especially since our field performance was at 7:43 AM...

Well, some of us cannot overly cheer because we "have to hold ourselves to a higher standard." Go figure. Personally, I'd love to wave and scream my head off, but I can't. :'(
Wow... I would hate to be in a totally serious band. We're serious enough to get the job done, but there's always time for some fun. ;)

Quoting limited to 3 levels deep

Well, some of us cannot overly cheer because we "have to hold ourselves to a higher standard." Go figure. Personally, I'd love to wave and scream my head off, but I can't. :'(
Wow... I would hate to be in a totally serious band. We're serious enough to get the job done, but there's always time for some fun. ;)
It's not so much a matter of seriousness as it is a matter of preference. Some bands think remaining quiet during their receiving awards as a sign of professionalism. Some people figure "Act like you've been there" mentality. For most I imagine it is simply out of respect for the other bands and the host institution.

Quoting limited to 3 levels deepWell, some of us cannot overly cheer because we "have to hold ourselves to a higher standard." Go figure. Personally, I'd love to wave and scream my head off, but I can't. :'(

It's not so much a matter of seriousness as it is a matter of preference. Some bands think remaining quiet during their receiving awards as a sign of professionalism. Some people figure "Act like you've been there" mentality. For most I imagine it is simply out of respect for the other bands and the host institution.
I remember being in band in High School, and when a school didn't cheer for their accomplishments, it felt to me as if they were stuck up. I still sort of feel this way, as they ARE teenagers out there, who deserve to celebrate the things they do. Save the somber faces for the real world when you have to get up at 5AM. Now don't get me wrong, I understand the "professionalism", but like I said... kids should be kids.

Quoting limited to 3 levels deepWell, some of us cannot overly cheer because we "have to hold ourselves to a higher standard." Go figure. Personally, I'd love to wave and scream my head off, but I can't. :'(

I remember being in band in High School, and when a school didn't cheer for their accomplishments, it felt to me as if they were stuck up. I still sort of feel this way, as they ARE teenagers out there, who deserve to celebrate the things they do. Save the somber faces for the real world when you have to get up at 5AM. Now don't get me wrong, I understand the "professionalism", but like I said... kids should be kids.
Amen! We're just spiritive, I mean we aren't harming anyone by cheering and having fun. Our director encourages us to cheer for other bands and wish them luck as well, and we do just that.

Said it once, will say it again: The U of I show is treated like a dog and pony show for the little bandos by the Marching Illini. It's not taken seriously and the philosophy driving MI is so different from a competitive unit that you simply can't be surprised at the lack of quality. Directors reading this should avoid the U of I competition, in my opinion (having marched in the organization for two years). It's a different experience which fails to cater to competitive marching band.

This is the first time I've been legitimately concerned about LWC not making finals. And next Saturday will be a sad (k)night without them. Perhaps after this, the school itself will be motivated to make some internal changes.

Also, who counted us out in 2005? That was the strongest MK group since 2001. Now, if someone had said 2003, there'd be a different story...:P

We never cheered for ourselves because it's classless and unprofessional. Celebrate yourself in private, if you feel the need to validate your own successes. There is no need to do so in front of everyone. I found the groups that did cheer for their own accomplishments to be stuck-up and egotistical. Accept success with humility, not with obnoxious cheers.

On another note, I was thoroughly impressed with Hersey. I was a little surprised that Prospect won. They had a good show, but in my humble opinion, Hersey outperformed. Another distracting aspect were the shirtless "men" with Pontiac painted on their chest. If those were my students, they would have had their parents called to come pick them up.

It's only showing some school spirit. I hate looking around and seeing bands leaving early, not cheering for other bands, or heck, not even cheering that much for their own. It was nice to see some more schools with some spirit this year, especially since a freshman guy in my band started that stadium-wide wave. ;)

I also didn't like the whole wedding thing either--I mean, did anyone? As a band member, I felt extremely inferior. I mean I know a wedding is a couple's "special day" and all, but how about planning a little better? The music was extremely distracting during some of the class A band field performances. I didn't like how everything felt so rushed this year, especially since our field performance was at 7:43 AM...

Our director always tells us not to get too excited, but I don't think he really minds that we scream, cheer, and dance anyway. :)

We never cheered for ourselves because it's classless and unprofessional. Celebrate yourself in private, if you feel the need to validate your own successes. There is no need to do so in front of everyone. I found the groups that did cheer for their own accomplishments to be stuck-up and egotistical. Accept success with humility, not with obnoxious cheers.
This statement, to me, appears stuck-up and egotistical. There is a difference between letting teenagers get excited for themselves and what they've done, and being egotistical about it. If they boo other bands, or don't cheer for those who do better than themselves, then I would agree with you... but I just don't see many (if any) bands doing this. They simply want to celebrate their own hard work, and doing it in front of others is hardly "classless".

This statement, to me, appears stuck-up and egotistical. There is a difference between letting teenagers get excited for themselves and what they've done, and being egotistical about it. If they boo other bands, or don't cheer for those who do better than themselves, then I would agree with you... but I just don't see many (if any) bands doing this. They simply want to celebrate their own hard work, and doing it in front of others is hardly "classless".
I was taught that applause and excitement is reserved for cheering other bands and to never boo another band. I was taught by the same basic principles MK06C09 was, and I don't find the LW's as stuck up in any way.

I don't think any band is stuck up whether they cheer or not cheer for themselves but let the kids be kids. Pro athletes ranging anywhere from 19-45 years old celebrate all there hard work and accomplishment and nobody criticizes them for being stuck up. These kids have spent there nights and weekends working on there shows and they should be happy and celebrate their accomplishments. As long as they don't disrespect other bands by cheering then it really shouldn't matter.

Celebrating a success is "classless and unprofessional"? Come on, now. That's a bit overboard, don't you think? Don't confuse celebrating with trash-talking or gloating - those are two different things. How can seriously tell everyone that is celebrating a success that they need to hold their celebration in until they are out of the public eye?

Does your approach apply to sports, as well?

Now, if we didn't cheer for OTHER bands, we'd have an issue. But I think we made a point to celebrate the success of all the groups in competition, regardless of our own placements. That's a pretty solid way to live life, actually. Celebrate the achievements of others and accept your own successes with humility. Perhaps "classless" was a bit harsh, though.

Celebrating a success is "classless and unprofessional"? Come on, now. That's a bit overboard, don't you think? Don't confuse celebrating with trash-talking or gloating - those are two different things. How can seriously tell everyone that is celebrating a success that they need to hold their celebration in until they are out of the public eye?

Exactly. It's not like my band puts other ones down, we cheer for ourselves to celebrate what we have accomplished, but we also applaud others for their hardwork. I can see where it would be classless if we were completely stuck-up and act "above others," but I don't think cheering is unprofessional. We've worked hard since the end of July, it's about time we celebrate that our work has finally paid off.

Now, if we didn't cheer for OTHER bands, we'd have an issue. But I think we made a point to celebrate the success of all the groups in competition, regardless of our own placements. That's a pretty solid way to live life, actually. Celebrate the achievements of others and accept your own successes with humility. Perhaps "classless" was a bit harsh, though.
Oh please...

^o)

Exactly. It's not like my band puts other ones down, we cheer for ourselves to celebrate what we have accomplished, but we also applaud others for their hardwork. I can see where it would be classless if we were completely stuck-up and act "above others," but I don't think cheering is unprofessional. We've worked hard since the end of July, it's about time we celebrate that our work has finally paid off.
After much thought, I have come to the conclusion that the reason why my band in high school never cheered during awards was because my high school didn't put much value into awards at all. When we got out of a performance with no one really around, we definitely cheered out of the excitement for the product on the field. We never cheered "Oh my! We're going to get an award!", it was always enthusiasm for the show. In other words, we never cheered for our awards, but you always cheer for others, because they deserve to know that their show was good enough to deserve a round of applause.

So to reply to the original comment about not cheering as arrogant: It wasn't that we weren't satisfied or that we were too good for the award, but we already were excited about the product we put out on the field.

Quoting limited to 3 levels deep

After much thought, I have come to the conclusion that the reason why my band in high school never cheered during awards was because my high school didn't put much value into awards at all. When we got out of a performance with no one really around, we definitely cheered out of the excitement for the product on the field. We never cheered "Oh my! We're going to get an award!", it was always enthusiasm for the show. In other words, we never cheered for our awards, but you always cheer for others, because they deserve to know that their show was good enough to deserve a round of applause.

So to reply to the original comment about not cheering as arrogant: It wasn't that we weren't satisfied or that we were too good for the award, but we already were excited about the product we put out on the field.

I agree, I believe it is about your band and feeling the sense of accomplishment on what you have put on the field, however in the awards ceremony I personally think that it is about giving others credit for their own accomplishments.

Other bands deserve the applause, and I guess my Alumni band was just taught to applaud for every other band but our own, because they all deserved it. I mean I guess it is fun to applaud yourself, (pat yourself on the back), and feel the great work you have done.

I have had a bad experience with unprofessional behavior before, and I will not mention the name of the band, the competition, or the year it happened, however it really made the image of that band very negative to me.

Ok so there was one time at one of the competitions that we went to where we came in 2nd in class AAA and 2nd overall, and we applauded the grand champion, and everyone else, and afterwards, the colorguard director and a few students came over and said some things like "oh yea we are the best, we beat you!...ect." Which whatever, we really didn't care about it, however they were like, "We will beat you losers again next week" That was because we had a competion with the band, who I will not say, next weekend.

So the next weekend competition came and we ended up winning, and beating them. Now our bands were right after eachother in the competition and so we stood next to them in the award ceremony, and when they announced the grand champion award they did not even applaud us at all, they just stared at us like we were inferior to them.

To me that is very unprofessional, and it was very unclassy, however we did not do the same thing back to them what they did to us the week before, we just genuinely congratulated them on their trophy and headed back to the bus.

I don't know about you all, but I think it was a pretty sad thing for them to do

I have had a bad experience with unprofessional behavior before, and I will not mention the name of the band, the competition, or the year it happened, however it really made the image of that band very negative to me.

Ok so there was one time at one of the competitions that we went to where we came in 2nd in class AAA and 2nd overall, and we applauded the grand champion, and everyone else, and afterwards, the colorguard director and a few students came over and said some things like "oh yea we are the best, we beat you!...ect." Which whatever, we really didn't care about it, however they were like, "We will beat you losers again next week" That was because we had a competion with the band, who I will not say, next weekend.

So the next weekend competition came and we ended up winning, and beating them. Now our bands were right after eachother in the competition and so we stood next to them in the award ceremony, and when they announced the grand champion award they did not even applaud us at all, they just stared at us like we were inferior to them.

To me that is very unprofessional, and it was very unclassy, however we did not do the same thing back to them what they did to us the week before, we just genuinely congratulated them on their trophy and headed back to the bus.

I don't know about you all, but I think it was a pretty sad thing for them to do

I agree, that's poor sportsmanship.

However, I don't think LWC is completely clean in this department. I won't go into the details (so don't PM asking either, unless you are an LWC grad), but suffice it to say I've heard a story which (if true) portrays LWC in an unclassy light as far as how they reacted when beaten. I'm not saying this to get into a gigantic fight, but I think some LWC people here are trying to make it sound like their program is flawless in this regard, and I don't think they (or anybody) is.

Truth be told, I think LWC's philosophy is an ok one...any philosophy that focuses on showing support for other bands is a good one. And I think celebration is ok, as long as you aren't taking it over the line like the colorguard director in DkMajor's description obviously did.

Yeah, that was rude of them to do that. I can see where it would leave a lasting impression, especially when it was multiple people to start with and then later the whole band not giving you credit. What can be almost equally annoying is when there are 1 or 2 people who make a bad name for their group, happens sometimes on this website. That's disgusting to me because you have 98% respectful classy band members and they get a bad name because of 2% of the people decide to act like arrogant jerks.

I say: if you don't like a band, fine whatever, but just show them appreciation for their hard work.

and watch what you say off the field around others and on the internet.

Announcement was clearly that Hersey won the Governors trophy at U of I--had a huge leap over everyone in the parade category. And congrats to them. I know they worked very hard this year.

Thought Prospect put on a very clean and winning show--have tons of pix that I reviewed after seeing a previous comment--and disagree--very nice field show. Predict they will hold up well at ISU. Wish that Hersey and Macomb were also going so that they, along with Prospect, could be compared using a more normal BOA type scoring system which also includes field judges.

Congrats in order for Macomb too. WOW!!! Did anyone else notice that they actually ranked first overall with both the highest field score (91.6) and the highest combined total (364.95) (vs Hersey's 89 field/363 total) Even though they are class B, they really got a higher score than anyone, so my hat is off to them!

The whole awards portion of the show was horribly rushed because they were behind schedule for the "big wedding" that was planned for the same day using the stadium. Frankly, it was very sad that the kids were given such treatment after dedicating so much. Hope the school rethinks their booking policy. Bride and groom taking pictures on the field while a band was performing--are you kidding?! How distracting is that? There was some really loud rock music blaring nearby the field that totally overshadowed the bands' quieter interludes--that went on for many performances. Suggest getting security on that pronto next time.

It appeared that the band students and families were second class citizens yesterday--the announcer actually told the drum majors to "Come ON!" to get to the line up faster, even though they were standing waiting to be told. Then the Illini drum majors had to run to try to pass out the trophies to keep up with the speedy announcer--I thought they might pass out too! It probably isn't the U of I band depts fault that this wedding was booked, but I hope they can have enough influence to prevent this type of fiasco again in the future.

That comparison cannot be made. It is a different panel of judges, and the bands are not being judges across all the classes during the day.
That comparison cannot be made. It is a different panel of judges, and the bands are not being judges across all the classes during the day.

For field show, no, but the parade judges actually stayed the same all day.

If memory serves, DM/Aux stays same too, but I may very well be wrong.

I too have gotta say.....Wow Macomb. You outparaded Prospect! 2nd in the state!!!!! That's amazing. Welcome back to the top.

I too have gotta say.....Wow Macomb. You outparaded Prospect! 2nd in the state!!!!! That's amazing. Welcome back to the top.

I'm pretty sure Prospect could care less. After all...it's freaking parading.

They very well might not, but for a band that has big sponsorship and a really high standard to be beat by a small band with little money, but an equally high standard, must mean a lot to Macomb.
Again...it's just parading. Nothing to see here.

Why are you so keen on making it sound like its not a big deal? It comes off as sounding defensive.
In my oppinion, there are two kinds of bands: parade bands and field bands. There are very few who exicute both well, but there are a some. Many field bands don't place the importance on parade that they should and, something as seemingly easy as parade, becomes thier weak point. That concept works both ways. For those who dedicate themselves to their field show, it is so much more rewarding. --Not to say that parade can't be rewarding as well but you're only getting music with parade whereas you get forms in field competition as well.