Illinois Marching Online
Sign in to follow this  
briar62

SoIl

Never or rarely see anyone on here chatting up SoIl. that is the bands south of I-70. I find it disheartening that people just don't get excited. I know there are good bands such as O'Fallon, Edwardsville, Belleville East, Murphysboro and more. Is it just that these bands don't get too into the Music for All events of compete more in MO? It's a shame that these bands get left out of the chat here.

Alot of these bands, along with other St. Louis schools, use a message board called Mr. P's Palace. It is more of a free for all on that board, but it is where most the entire Metro St. Louis posts (IL and MO alike).

http://disc.yourwebapps.com/Indices/76295.html

And pretty much what our staff never wants this forum to become.

Alot of these bands, along with other St. Louis schools, use a message board called Mr. P's Palace. It is more of a free for all on that board, but it is where most the entire Metro St. Louis posts (IL and MO alike).

Holy crap... that's... uh... *voice trails off as I slowly hide in the corner*

Now, Dan, give them credit. It is really really...colorful?...no?...Well, at least it's yellow!

Man i just went to the Mr P's Place site and my personal thoughts on the site for me it sucked but I'm sure to some out there that IL marching sucks to . I don't want to be negative but IL marching is much more clear on subjects and postings. Not as much to read through to get to where you want to go. Just my opinion though.

Oh just watched the O'fallon show for this year " The Beauty of Barber" Personally i loved it I see O'fallon as a up and coming band if they can hold the band director they have now. I know for the past few years they have been going through a time of transition with several different directors. Best of luck to all So Il bands this week at GSL and ISU.

Man i just went to the Mr P's Place site and my personal thoughts on the site for me it sucked but I'm sure to some out there that IL marching sucks to . I don't want to be negative but IL marching is much more clear on subjects and postings. Not as much to read through to get to where you want to go. Just my opinion though.
Thanks for your input!

Oh just watched the O'fallon show for this year " The Beauty of Barber" Personally i loved it I see O'fallon as a up and coming band if they can hold the band director they have now. I know for the past few years they have been going through a time of transition with several different directors.
Any reason we never really see O'Fallon at ISU? I think they could make some waves..

Oh just watched the O'fallon show for this year " The Beauty of Barber" Personally i loved it I see O'fallon as a up and coming band if they can hold the band director they have now. I know for the past few years they have been going through a time of transition with several different directors.
Any reason we never really see O'Fallon at ISU? I think they could make some waves..
Well, they attend the Greater St. Louis Marching Band Festival. For many bands in Southern IL..this is their ISU. Just goes to show how unfortunate it is that there is not a structured marching circuit in Illinois. The further south you go in this state, the less exposure there seems to be for many programs. I seriously wonder sometimes what the moderators of this site really now about such programs and what they might be able to do to get the state a little more unified.

Regardless, there are some good programs south of I-70. A stronger IL circuit, imho, would not only get things a little more on the same page, but strengthen the quality that is produced across the state.

That is for sure, some kind of governing body with some structure as that in Indiana has would be great and give more bands exposure that don't get a lot at the moment. Besides it pushes bands to do better come up with new ideas therefore push the envelope. But untill then we have to rely on the powers that be to chat up the bands on here that make waves or at least rippels in the marching band world.

Man, I finally gave in and clicked the link.

Yikes.

Unfortunatley this year's schedule in the St. Louis area put the Greater St. Louis Marching Band Festival as the same weekend as Illinois State. Usually these two contests are not at the same time.
They will be on the same day next year as well.

Unfortunatley this year's schedule in the St. Louis area put the Greater St. Louis Marching Band Festival as the same weekend as Illinois State. Usually these two contests are not at the same time.
That's sad :-/ I would really like to see Metro-East bands like Belleville East go up against bands like Prospect, Marion, etc. ^_^

O'Fallon went to U of I a LONG time ago in 2003. According to the scores still listed on the U of I MIBF website, they got 2nd place overall in Class AA in the parade (Nearly a 6 point difference between them and Prospect, though; 88.1 to 81.95), and they got...well...let me post the Field overall standings from back then:

1. Prospect 87.4

2. Marian Catholic 84.333 (Last time they attended U of I)

3. Waubonsie Valley 78.667

4. John Hersey 70.5

5. Alton 68.667 (There's another SoIL band for you! :D )

6. Alan B. Shepard 67.833

7. Joliet West 61.333

8. O'Fallon 59

I don't know how good of a band O'Fallon was back then, but I do know they're pretty good now. One thing to note here, too: O'Fallon performed third in Class AA that year, so that might have had an effect on their scores. But again, I don't know for certain. I do know that Alton was pretty good back then, but I'm not sure what their status is now.

O'Fallon went to U of I a LONG time ago in 2003. According to the scores still listed on the U of I MIBF website, they got 2nd place overall in Class AA in the parade (Nearly a 6 point difference between them and Prospect, though; 88.1 to 81.95), and they got...well...let me post the Field overall standings from back then:

1. Prospect 87.4

4. John Hersey 70.5

5. Alton 68.667 (There's another SoIL band for you! :D)

7. Joliet West 61.333

8. O'Fallon 59

I don't know how good of a band O'Fallon was back then, but I do know they're pretty good now. One thing to note here, too: O'Fallon performed third in Class AA that year, so that might have had an effect on their scores. But again, I don't know for certain. I do know that Alton was pretty good back then, but I'm not sure what their status is now.

Maybe now (pending the changes that U of I makes next year) we can hopefully see more southern Illinois bands compete in these more centralized shows.

Wasn't O'Fallon at ISU in 2002? I seem to remember seeing them... but I cannot say for certain as I was but a wee freshman, and was just amazed at all the bands there lol.
They were. 2nd place in 5A, winning Percussion and Guard. They were 8th in finals.

Wasn't O'Fallon at ISU in 2002? I seem to remember seeing them... but I cannot say for certain as I was but a wee freshman, and was just amazed at all the bands there lol.
They were. 2nd place in 5A, winning Percussion and Guard. They were 8th in finals.
I thought so... I also thought they were 8th in finals... odd that I remember that. Where, may I ask, did you retrieve this information, since the IMO database only goes to 2003? (Pretty please)

I thought so... I also thought they were 8th in finals... odd that I remember that. Where, may I ask, did you retrieve this information, since the IMO database only goes to 2003? (Pretty please)
It's Dan Balash, he is the place where he retreives this information :P

It's Dan Balash, he is the place where he retreives this information :P
Lies. :P

http://midwestmarching.com/schedules/02/02isu.txt

1. Prospect 87.4

4. John Hersey 70.5

5. Alton 68.667 (There's another SoIL band for you! :D )

7. Joliet West 61.333

8. O'Fallon 59

O'Fallon has had a lot of "ups" and "downs" the last few years. But, when they are strong, there is no doubt about how good they are. Lots of changes with the program from time to time have effected the building and/or rebuilding. Hopefully they can continue to stay strong!