Illinois Marching Online
Sign in to follow this  
Dan Balash

Who wins 4A at ISU?

Based on what I've seen so far, I'm going to go with Bloomington winning with LWN in a close second

Although I could see UT, LWN, or Bloomington winning

I think everything youve seen so far has changed...

Based on what I've seen so far, I'm going to go with Bloomington winning with LWN in a close second

Although I could see UT, LWN, or Bloomington winning

I think everything youve seen so far has changed...
I agree, now I see Lincoln Way North Winning with Bloomington in a close second

I hate to say it, because I'm in the UT band, but the way I see it is 1. LWN 2. UT 3. Bloomington
I don know, because everything is turning around at UT and this might just be one of those times where we (UT) get second. But its a HUGE toss up for Finals. I think that since most all of the bands in 4A have basically re-invented themselves, its gonna be close for everyone, including LWN.

I hate to say it, because I'm in the UT band, but the way I see it is 1. LWN 2. UT 3. Bloomington
I don know, because everything is turning around at UT and this might just be one of those times where we (UT) get second. But its a HUGE toss up for Finals. I think that since most all of the bands in 4A have basically re-invented themselves, its gonna be close for everyone, including LWN.
I don't think it'll be close at all for LWN. 2nd and 3rd maybe. But not LWN.

I was wondering why it will now be a runaway for LWN? Have they completed changed their show since the Chicago Marching Band Festival in Wheeling? I haven't gotten to see their show yet, but has it changed drastically since then?

I was wondering why it will now be a runaway for LWN? Have they completed changed their show since the Chicago Marching Band Festival in Wheeling? I haven't gotten to see their show yet, but has it changed drastically since then?
The main change is LWN got 5th at BOA Ypsilanti. While NN got 8th. So they have improved slot. In a way they have completely turned their show around I guess.

The main change is LWN got 5th at BOA Ypsilanti. While NN got 8th. So they have improved slot. In a way they have completely turned their show around I guess.
This is pretty accurate. I saw them at Naperville Central this weekend, and they blew me away with the quality of the show and the level of performance. That and with the judging system going to more BOA style, LWN's show will be greatly rewarded

Is that really a good indicator of ISU? Were the other bands that they will be competing against in their class at this BOA event? NN won't be in their class at ISU, so how they do against NN is immaterial. Also, and please don't take offense to this because I enjoy NN's show - it is enternaining and well done, but it isn't the style of show that does as well at BOA. So, it makes sense that LWN would do better at BOA than NN.

I guess that is where I am getting confused about all the talk about 'LWN is a lock, LWN will runaway with it, it would be a tragedy if LWN doesn't win class 4A.'

I understand why someone would pick LWN to win class 4a. I have heard great things about their show and they have had a lot of success with it in competition, especially recently. That is why I was asking if they had made drastic changes since Wheeling.

But, when they have competed in the same competitions as other bands that will be in their class at ISU, they have yet to outscore all of them.

two words - Drum Major. Now they have one. At wheeling they didn't.

Nah, they just have a show that does better at BOA.

I would imagine that they're just improving like a quality group would over a few weeks. And with the BOA style judging, they're going to do well. They're going to win their class by at least a few points. They're performing at a different level than their nearest class competition.

two words - Drum Major. Now they have one. At wheeling they didn't.
Thats a good point, they never did have somebody actually leading that band.(I.E. no drum major)...I wonder why the change all of the sudden..

Is that really a good indicator of ISU? Were the other bands that they will be competing against in their class at this BOA event? NN won't be in their class at ISU, so how they do against NN is immaterial. Also, and please don't take offense to this because I enjoy NN's show - it is enternaining and well done, but it isn't the style of show that does as well at BOA. So, it makes sense that LWN would do better at BOA than NN.

I guess that is where I am getting confused about all the talk about 'LWN is a lock, LWN will runaway with it, it would be a tragedy if LWN doesn't win class 4A.'

I understand why someone would pick LWN to win class 4a. I have heard great things about their show and they have had a lot of success with it in competition, especially recently. That is why I was asking if they had made drastic changes since Wheeling.

But, when they have competed in the same competitions as other bands that will be in their class at ISU, they have yet to outscore all of them.

Like Drummer79 said already, this years ISU judging panel is more BOA style. Which will probably give them a boost. Also, the top 10 bands at BOA were probably better than the top 10 bands that iwll be attending ISU (No offense to any band). I was there and I was able to witness the bands that attended.

Also you need to keep in mind that at ISU prelims is about classes. I was just tihnking ahead to finals which is why i brought the comparison to NN into this.