Illinois Marching Online
Sign in to follow this  
AnglofMusic07

Naperville North

Any thoughts on how NN did at ISU? Looking at predictions, not many people expected us to do well, ranging from placing 5th to not even making finals, the majority of predictions saying placements 7th-10th. I honestly wasn't expecting a 4th place finish, knowing that the judging panel was going to be mainly composed of BOA/DCI judges; does anyone else have insights as to yesterdays results?

Not just NN but the Lincolnways as well. I did not anticipate...well any of that. Granted, I don't exactly stay on top of who's hot and who's not at any given moment, but I was fairly surprised by just about every band from 4th down.

NN is not breaking the rules. They practice and work very hard. But the above reason is why most people in Illinois don't really respect NN very much. They feel that they take the easy way out. And this also explains why NN does well at Chicago shows that have relatively the same panels show to show (and ISU of recent years), but then get blown away at BOA shows. BOA judges see so many well constructed shows that grab you through brilliant music , movement construction, and drill, and NN comes along and the judges are like "this is clown shoes." BOA judges expect the detailed and well constructed comedy routine...not the fart noises.

I just wanted to add that back when I was at NNHS, we made finals at BOA every year. They/we have fun shows but the judges also saw that they/we marched well too.

The one year we didn't make finals at BOA was when we went to the Texas regionals. We got 13th place. The top 12 made finals.