Illinois Marching Online
Sign in to follow this  
AnglofMusic07

Naperville North

Haha, thanks I guess.

Just to clarify, I didn't mean that our shows would be bad without the actors/props, they just wouldn't be that entertaining. I dont know how that'd affect the judges scores, but surely it wouldn't be as fun to watch. There is no doubt the band can perform the music and drill, I just know that a lot of the impact of our show comes from the plot line supplied by actors, props, and guard.

Thanks for the good self-assessment. I think that some people that have been around the marching activity for while would rather see less props, costumes, play acting, and sight gags; and more marching and spinning. I personally don't go to a band show to have a good laugh or to see theatrics. I can go to a comedy club or a theater if I want that.

To me, what's unique about the marching activity is musical and visual effects and impacts that can be created through good playing, good marching & spinning, and good visual (drill and guard work) design. I'd prefer to feel a WOW! or a COOL! or a HOLY COW! or a HOW DID THEY DO THAT?!

That all being said, Mr Moore is a pretty smart guy. He's figured our a design system that's unique, gets some audience engagement, and is a hit with the judges. And, pulling in students from the theater department is a smart idea, based on the shows revolving around acting.

Seeing NN's shows over many years, I will say that I see some similar patterns & structures to the designs, so things don't seem as new & fresh as they once did, but that's true of my own and other's designs, too.

I think that some people that have been around the marching activity for while would rather see less props, costumes, play acting, and sight gags; and more marching and spinning. I personally don't go to a band show to have a good laugh or to see theatrics. I can go to a comedy club or a theater if I want that.

I agree.

Watch this:

The kids perform the show, and they obviously work hard on what they're given. But the focus of the show is the play at the front of the field, not the marchers behind it.

What will be interesting to see is how NN fares at ISU this year. A lot of the past few years the panel at ISU was basically a retreat of a lot of the judges that are at the Chicagoland shows. This year, the panel at ISU is much more based in BOA/DCI experience, and that is a venue where NN has generally not recieved the same amount of credit that they have at their local shows.

What will be interesting to see is how NN fares at ISU this year. A lot of the past few years the panel at ISU was basically a retreat of a lot of the judges that are at the Chicagoland shows. This year, the panel at ISU is much more based in BOA/DCI experience, and that is a venue where NN has generally not recieved the same amount of credit that they have at their local shows.
I agree. At the St. Louis BOA we did not do great last year... to say the least. We will be at Ypsi next Saturday, and I am very excited to see how that will turn out.

I agree. At the St. Louis BOA we did not do great last year... to say the least. We will be at Ypsi next Saturday, and I am very excited to see how that will turn out.
Not a real strong line up at this Regional. NN should do well.

Not a real strong line up at this Regional. NN should do well.
BOA judges aren't really the biggest fans of NN though.

They should do well, nonetheless. Good luck this weekend, NN, represent IL well!

I get a kick out of all the "music elitists" out here who can't handle the fact the Naperville North has success.

You know some of this is for the crowd too. NN is a breath of fresh air as far as I'm concerned. Usually after seeing about three shows in a row of "A Tribute to Requiems of the 1500's" it's nice to see a band actually having fun for once.

I get a kick out of all the "music elitists" out here who can't handle the fact the Naperville North has success.

You know some of this is for the crowd too. NN is a breath of fresh air as far as I'm concerned. Usually after seeing about three shows in a row of "A Tribute to Requiems of the 1500's" it's nice to see a band actually having fun for once.

So other bands aren't having fun? You're chiding people in your first statement, yet ripping on basically every other band in another, that really doesn't seem fair. I never performed a NN type of show, but I had a blast all four years of my high school marching band career and find it kind of offensive that you think that I couldn't have had fun when I took the podium in tears for the last time because I loved what I was doing so much and didn't want to see it end.

It's all about people's opinion and some people like NN's show and some people like other bands shows. Some of it might be for the crowd, but who says what the crowd likes and doesn't like? Are you saying that just because NN does "cute" shows that the audience automatically likes them? Or are you saying something else because I don't understand the "some of this is for the crowd" part of your statements.

I'm not denying the success of NN, more props to them. They take an idea and the execute is very well and the students look like they're really enjoying it and that's great for me to see as a audience member. I just hope those and every other kid is having the same experience I had.

Ouch. To each his own. Honestly, tho, I think the real "music elitists" don't really look to marching band as a high art form.

Do a few bands have shows that are esoteric, hard to understand, over the audience's head, and geared more for the judges? Sure, but that's just my opinion. Different people are entertained in different ways.

I probably came across perhaps a little too strong in my previous comments, my point is, variety is good, it's what makes the competitions more fun, and of course engage in "lively" discussion :-)

I just get irritated that people are like this is a non BOA show, these judges, and that judges, it almost starts sounding like a figure skating competition, lol. A colleague of mine and I were joking that the Russian and French judge at a competition had a different idea of how good the guard was, lol.

From my son's high school experience the band members really enjoy a show where the music had some familiarity and connection with the crowd vs. some serious esoteric concept show. From a recruiting perspective, it's really hard to get 8th graders enthuised (your future band!) if you are playing dull heavy music, Faust isn't gonna turn on the Ipod crowd. That may work for some schools, but I definitely have seen a difference in enthusiasm for a show when band parents, crowd, and band members have some affinity for the musical selections. Not all marching bands are interested in being BOA finalists and what not, for some making finals at ISU is the goal, or placing high in a regional competition, or even winning a caption. Its about the pride of the performance, something I think this site loses track of all too often lately. (comments about LWC going down in quality and NN show comments I don't think are constructive for kids to read) .

While I agree that them reading isn't the best, at the same time, while I was in HS, I thought we were amazing until I started seeing and understanding what else was out there, and the integration of design of other schools and found out where we really stood. I didn't figure it out for a long time, and I was always bitter about the why. Let's face it. Some things are out of control of the students, (ex Show, Staff, focus of the program) and those things are the difference between a LD Bell and a Wheaton Warrenville South. LD has a staff of 20+, at WWS, we have a staff of 6, LD Bell's show is designed by people that also design World Class DCI shows, at WWS, we don't have that kind of money =), and LD Bell's focus is to win a national championship, at WWS, ours is to educate the kids as well as we can and hope that the kids perform to the best of their abilities. Is one wrong or one right? Not necessarily. For example, we rehearse A LOT less than LD Bell. One night 3 hour rehearsal, one afternoon rehearsal. LD Bell rehearses quite a bit more. Our kids understand the differences because we educate them to what our goals are and what we are trying to accomplish. We don't expect to beat a Marian Catholic, but we'd like to be up there with a LWC or a Wabonsie Valley.

Our kids know what to expect from us and from themselves, and the difference between the elite groups and where we are. If they read comments on the website, they would understand. I am sure that Dan Moore tells his kids, hey, ignore all that stuff. We are here to entertain the crowd and for you to have fun. And I'm sure at LWC the kids understand the staff turnover they have had and how it's affected them. WWS has seen A LOT of that itself. The asst. director and the guard staff are the only staff left from last year.

What it comes down to is if my students were to read comments similar to these, they would understand. Is it easy to swallow, no, but it's reality. But what it comes down to is not everyone is or can be Marian Catholic =)

Just kind of going along with what John said, I think there's a difference between being positive, realistic, and just plain mean. I think a lot of people fall into the trap of saying that everything there students do is the best and that they're perfect at everything and so on and so forth. But, the fact of the matter is not everyone is as good at things as other people. There's a difference between saying just downright derogatory comments and analyzing the strengths and weaknesses of a band's performance. If everyone just remained super positive about everything, what would be the motivation to improve? Picture a kid in a band and the directors just goes on and on about how great their performance was, even though, let's say, the drill was rough in the closer. How is the kid going to know he should fix it if it was never brought up because the director wanted to remain positive?

Like you said niualumni, there should definitely be pride in performance. I remember getting off the field sometimes and feeling great about it, but there were times when I was really unhappy with how we performed as well. The difference is to be realistic rather than super negative. If a performance wasn't great, that's just how it went that day. It doesn't mean the season is lost or that the band is now the worst in the state, but it's about knowing that you could have and should have done better. I've seen bands be extremely unhappy when they didn't make finals at ISU and I've seen bands compete for the first time. Each band is at a different level and that's okay.

It's the same kind of thing with the NN and LWC comments. No one is saying LWC is a terrible group now, they've done some great things so far this season. But by that same token, they're not placing as high as they usually due and staff turnover is really hard to deal with and I'm sure that they will figure it out. Some people may not like NN's show. That doesn't mean that NN's show is terrible or that they don't deserve all of the awards they've gotten thus far. The fact that different people like different things is what keeps marching band interesting or else you'd just hear every band doing exactly the same kind of show. I think if kids read it with the right mindset, they will be fine. I'm sure those very same kids don't like some bands shows, but that's okay, too. Every person gets there own opinion and that's what keeps things interesting. =)

Just kind of going along with what John said, I think there's a difference between being positive, realistic, and just plain mean. I think a lot of people fall into the trap of saying that everything there students do is the best and that they're perfect at everything and so on and so forth. But, the fact of the matter is not everyone is as good at things as other people. There's a difference between saying just downright derogatory comments and analyzing the strengths and weaknesses of a band's performance. If everyone just remained super positive about everything, what would be the motivation to improve? Picture a kid in a band and the directors just goes on and on about how great their performance was, even though, let's say, the drill was rough in the closer. How is the kid going to know he should fix it if it was never brought up because the director wanted to remain positive?

Like you said niualumni, there should definitely be pride in performance. I remember getting off the field sometimes and feeling great about it, but there were times when I was really unhappy with how we performed as well. The difference is to be realistic rather than super negative. If a performance wasn't great, that's just how it went that day. It doesn't mean the season is lost or that the band is now the worst in the state, but it's about knowing that you could have and should have done better. I've seen bands be extremely unhappy when they didn't make finals at ISU and I've seen bands compete for the first time. Each band is at a different level and that's okay.

It's the same kind of thing with the NN and LWC comments. No one is saying LWC is a terrible group now, they've done some great things so far this season. But by that same token, they're not placing as high as they usually due and staff turnover is really hard to deal with and I'm sure that they will figure it out. Some people may not like NN's show. That doesn't mean that NN's show is terrible or that they don't deserve all of the awards they've gotten thus far. The fact that different people like different things is what keeps marching band interesting or else you'd just hear every band doing exactly the same kind of show. I think if kids read it with the right mindset, they will be fine. I'm sure those very same kids don't like some bands shows, but that's okay, too. Every person gets there own opinion and that's what keeps things interesting. =)

You bring up some great points in all, But after following your conversation, I feel that obviously everyone has pride in their performance, everyone has fun in their performance, But the difference is do you see people in the Lawerence Central show or Plymouth Canton show smiling? Truthfully when I watched both of their shows at Ypsilanti i was thinking, Is someone going to die? This is so dark, how do i enjoy this? I see that the students are enjoying this but How could i? Their shows are dervived along the words of fear, oppression, greed, death. From an audience perspective, I am meant to enjoy this and me, my self, have fun? Let me say again yes the and memebrs are having fun but it doesnt mean the audience is. Of course their are some people who enjoy these dark, complex, secret like shows.

I feel this site has become rather insultive towards other bands. Maybe you havent seen these comments that you mentioned. But I defiently have... Im not sure what posts youve been reading but people ahve stated this band didnt desrve to win this place or award. This band isnt gonna make finals blah blah blah. Thats what this forum is made of. I dont think its wrong, its probably why it has so many viewers.

And every school is different. NN actually has less staff than WWS. Its just how hard the band is willing to work. And every band works very hard.

Hopefully I havent insulted anyone in this post or caused any problems.

You bring up some great points in all, But after following your conversation, I feel that obviously everyone has pride in their performance, everyone has fun in their performance, But the difference is do you see people in the Lawerence Central show or Plymouth Canton show smiling? Truthfully when I watched both of their shows at Ypsilanti i was thinking, Is someone going to die? This is so dark, how do i enjoy this? I see that the students are enjoying this but How could i? Their shows are dervived along the words of fear, oppression, greed, death. From an audience perspective, I am meant to enjoy this and me, my self, have fun? Let me say again yes the and memebrs are having fun but it doesnt mean the audience is. Of course their are some people who enjoy these dark, complex, secret like shows.

While I see your point, I don't know if we have the same definition of "fun" or "enjoy". It seems like for you, the show needs to be happy-go-lucky in order for it to be enjoyable. Whereas for me, I can really enjoy the complexities of a show. Probably the times where I enjoy a show the most is where I can feel the emotion coming from the band. The show can be happy or sad or whatever, but if I feel the passion, I love it. Another example, one of my favorite pieces recently has become "Sky Blue" by Maria Schneider. The Bluecoats used it in their show this year, but I'm talking about the original. I think that is one of the most purely emotional pieces I have heard, and it is written in memory of a friend of hers who passed away. But when I listen to it, I can so clearly her that it is an 8 minute expression of herself through the music. And that's why I love it. :)

I feel this site has become rather insultive towards other bands. Maybe you havent seen these comments that you mentioned. But I defiently have... Im not sure what posts youve been reading but people ahve stated this band didnt desrve to win this place or award. This band isnt gonna make finals blah blah blah. Thats what this forum is made of. I dont think its wrong, its probably why it has so many viewers.

And every school is different. NN actually has less staff than WWS. Its just how hard the band is willing to work. And every band works very hard.

NNHSax, you make a few good points. I will admit that I have gone a little far with some of the things I personally have said on here. As for your group, you're a talented bunch, but you just aren't performing my cup of tea. And that's okay. Everyone has their own tastes. I won't say that you guys aren't a good group; a lot of bands never make it to a BOA finals show at any venue.

As for the mood of the show, take a trip down to Grand Nationals finals sometime.

LD Bell 2006. Greatest marching band show I've ever seen. The show, as far as I could tell, was about the rapture and the end of the world. One of the darkest things I've ever seen. Mesmerized the whole time. The crowd was silent for about fifteen seconds before the momentous outburst of applause. I guarantee 95% of that audience enjoyed themselves. The music was incredible, the visual book was incredible, and the whole theme of the show is death and despair. If it's done well, and they really sell it, the crowd's going to LOVE it.

Not everyone needs a show to be happy to enjoy it. I enjoy an original, creative show that takes me through a variety of musical forms and textures, is performed really well, and has a great visual book to go along with it. If it's a happy show, great. If it's a dark show, great. Watch some stuff with an open mind...there's some really fantastic stuff to be seen. There are BOA shows all over YouTube (I won't post any links, Dan :P ).

As for the bands not smiling that you mentioned, that's because their show has a darker mood, and they get into it. That's what makes their shows so interesting to watch. And that's why they do so well - they really, really sell their show.

A show doesn't have to be a play with everybody acting happy and smiling all the time for the performers or the audience to have fun.

I really love the quote by Aldous Huxley that says something to the extent of "the only thing that comes closer than silence to explaining the inexplicable is music." That's a great quote. That's what those top level bands are going for. Their shows are complex and designed to make you feel a different way at different times. And if you felt like "is somebody going to die", then they did their job, because at that moment, they were trying to portray desperation, and obviously were successful in doing so. And the fact that they were able to convey those more complex emotions through music and movement is (to me) much more difficult and impressive than making people laugh with a play on the front of the field.

There are people who don't have the capability to understand or feel those more complex shows, and I can see in that instance why a NN show would be appealing.

Ugh, it's posts like that, pure musical elitism. Aldous Huxley also took a lot of psychedelic drugs too, lol

There's a good conversation and then more music snobbery, ugh. I give up!, lol.

How is that elitist at all? He is simply stating what some of the national groups are trying to do. People are so touchy!

Ugh, it's posts like that, pure musical elitism. Aldous Huxley also took a lot of psychedelic drugs too, lol

Wow..talk about being hypocritical. Someone uses a different example of things and you automatically jump to "musical elitism." While everyone is going to have their own thoughts and preferences on things, you seem to be just as "judgmental" as the people you call judgmental.

I think he was referring to the last sentence about the ability to understand such shows, but I agree with robes on this. I enjoy bands like LD Bell, Marian, and Broken Arrow, because they constantly push the envelope of the activity. The majority of their shows have dark music combined with intense frill that gives the view a complete package. I too remember seeing LD Bell at the end of GN finals and you saw the guard pop up through the tarp and everyone in the audience gasped at the same time in amazement. Or the way Broken Arrow moved me with their ensemble sounds and innovative use of drill and uniform shifts. Is it because I'm a "music elitist?" Heck no. But I do know when I see a show that advances the activity. I couldn't tell you what NN did last year, because their shows aren't memorable to me. Is that a bad thing? No, I doubt they're losing any sleep over it, and neither am I. It's not that I don't like North. I think it's a great music program, one of the best in the state. They're going to do what works for them, and more power to them. But I for one would love to see NN try and do a dark show with no "gimmicks." I think they would actually do quite well, but I suppose we'll never know, at least not this year.

Thanks for proving my point.

If liking all varieties of classical music, as well as liking how cutting edge marching bands take people's breath away with their playing of said music and integration of visual elements makes me a "music snob", then I guess that's what I am.

You're probably one of those people that wishes bands were still playing pep band music at football games. Hate to tell you...the activity has evolved.

I obviously can't speak for everyone, but I would much rather watch a show that makes my jaw drop and causes me to say "wow" as opposed to a show that will just make me smile

For instance. I'd rather watch Plymouth Canton instead of Centerville

I feel this site has become rather insultive towards other bands. This band isnt gonna make finals blah blah blah. Thats what this forum is made of.
These are the type of comments that disturb me about what this board is becoming. I agree that there have been a lot of things recently that have pushed the limit, but some people need to not be so touchy. This board is based on opinion. That's what predictions are. An opinion of what so and so thinks will happen. And if I think that band A won't make finals at competition B then I am entitled to that opinion and not get harassed for being "mean" or "judgmental". Personally, I have lost a lot of interest in this site in the past year due to this touchiness and I really think it's a shame.

On another note, just combining a few thoughts from what I've read. I definitely have to agree with robes on this one. And I also saw LD Bell in 06 and agree with what I read. It is the greatest marching band show I have ever seen and I thoroughly enjoyed it. (It was about death and despair) I also saw Centerville this last weekend in St. Louis and have seen them multiple times in my high school career. Annually they are one of my favorite groups and I love their show nearly every year. (They are light-hearted, jazzy, and require less thought) While in St. Louis, I was sitting beside a freshman in our band. He watched in awe as he had never seen that many bands of such a high caliber at one competition before. We shared comments on the show and he seemed absolutely amazed at how BA uses less "happy" feelings but still makes you feel something and really love their show and have fun. But we both love jazz and couldnt stop bobbing out heads and such when Centerville took the field. I had an immense amount of fun during each performance and talked to the freshman about Grand Nats which we will be attending. He and I are both very excited to see the shows that both make you wanna throw up and are just light-hearted. Regardless of my personal tastes, however, I still RESPECT each of the bands for what they do, and that will never change.

Well, as I see it, it's how you take control of GE, the two probably most far out GE controllers is us, NNHS, with fun movements, or you have bands like Lawrence Central and LD Bell, who take the dark movements to the extreme, it's almost like the question does ultimate evil overcome ultimate good? Ok, maybe not, that's just how I think of it. But do you give more of a general effect playing major or minor? Incredibly loud diminished chords or fun jazz chords?

Although I think BOA, DCI, ISSMA, and other bands participating in these events have been adding some sort of light melodic and not minoric music, i.e. I saw Lawrence Central at Ypsilanti, and they ended their show with a movement titled Revival, as ironic this might be that it follows movements titled Greed, Oppression, and Fear, as least bands are making SOME effort to be in major

Well, as I see it, it's how you take control of GE, the two probably most far out GE controllers is us, NNHS, with fun movements, or you have bands like Lawrence Central and LD Bell, who take the dark movements to the extreme, it's almost like the question does ultimate evil overcome ultimate good? Ok, maybe not, that's just how I think of it. But do you give more of a general effect playing major or minor? Incredibly loud diminished chords or fun jazz chords?

Although I think BOA, DCI, ISSMA, and other bands participating in these events have been adding some sort of light melodic and not minoric music, i.e. I saw Lawrence Central at Ypsilanti, and they ended their show with a movement titled Revival, as ironic this might be that it follows movements titled Greed, Oppression, and Fear, as least bands are making SOME effort to be in major

I have never seen LD Bell or Lawrence Central have a play going on their entire show on the front of the field while the band marches in back. It's not a question of happy vs. dark being the only difference. Their body movement is amazing and incredibly advanced as well...it's in a completely different ballpark.

i.e. I saw Lawrence Central at Ypsilanti, and they ended their show with a movement titled Revival, as ironic this might be that it follows movements titled Greed, Oppression, and Fear, as least bands are making SOME effort to be in major

major as in...the key the music is in?

if that's not what you're referring to, disregard this post.

but if you are: here is another spot where you need to have an open mind. minor keys can be breathtaking, haunting, sad, dark...etc. it's all a matter of what the band is going for. if you're band isn't going for anything minor sounding, fine, but you have to understand that minor is just as effective as major if you play it well.