Illinois Marching Online
Sign in to follow this  
AnglofMusic07

Naperville North

nn should not beat morton or vja [or prospect]

sorry.

judges=subjective

How could you even say that? It's really sad how many people said that th judges at lake park were messed up. Wheeling has almost a completely new panel of judges and NN won by 2 points. Which any band fan knows is a pretty large margin. And also, the point of NN's marching band shows is to please the audience and have something that they can relate to. Our band director writes the shows himself and he tells us "were here to make the auidence laugh and love us. The awards are just the gravy on top." if you look at it logically almost everyone can relate to ou show and that's why people love it. The judges grew up watching silent movies and they can see that our general effct is so strong, strong enough for the show to bring back old memories, it's got to be well executed. How often can you relate to the chaos theory? Or the elements of life? I'm not saying those shows are bad, I liked Mortons show their sax line is a amazing, and lake park had a great show too, it's just NN has a crowd appealing show and is well executed by the band.

And NN does have hard drill in their show. Maybe you were just laughing too hard at the guard to have noticed :/

congrats to all band at wheeling! It was great to see all the bands again!

nnhsax-

i did not see tonight's show, so i cannot say how well any band executed. i'm just going off what i saw so far.

of course nn's show is a crowd pleaser.

but you can please the audience and connect musically/visually with the audience/judges WITHOUT bringing back old memories.

playing music well alone is enough to generate strong emotion. whether it is familiar music or not.

yes, in order to know who should or should not have won tonight i would have to see how each band performed...and on wet mud grass from what i hear.

(i dunno if i would say the lp final judges messed up, because the score margin wasn't that big. it was the first comp. of the year. but the outcome was sorta surprising. yes yes i know, that's over now.)

i wonder how much the unfinished shows have added.

nnhsax-

i did not see tonight's show, so i cannot say how well any band executed. i'm just going off what i saw so far.

of course nn's show is a crowd pleaser.

but you can please the audience and connect musically/visually with the audience/judges WITHOUT bringing back old memories.

playing music well alone is enough to generate strong emotion. whether it is familiar music or not.

yes, in order to know who should or should not have won tonight i would have to see how each band performed...and on wet mud grass from what i hear.

(i dunno if i would say the lp final judges messed up, because the score margin wasn't that big. it was the first comp. of the year. but the outcome was sorta surprising. yes yes i know, that's over now.)

i wonder how much the unfinished shows have added.

You make it sound like NN pruposely tries to connect with the judges and then try to steal the show with some kind of inside job. Like I preiously mentioned, we like to connect with the audience. Which also includes the judges, judges are still normal people, not like celebs where we can't relate to their lives, judges grw up the same way Audience members did. We could even put a judge in the stands and no one would be able to tell! The other thig you said about connecting emotionally through music can be done but is rather hard and complex. So mAny people like so many different kind of music. Maybe jazz blues classical pep music even. Which again is hard to diversify a show withthat many genres. But seriously who can't connect to the current show NN is doing? Since our purpose is to Please The audience then I think our job is complete, the crowd loves are show. I don't wanna sound as if other schools shows don't cause they do in different ways. Some audience members are parents of band kids and may not know who Copland is, so how can they relate? Why can't a band have fun and still be a great sounding band? Why does everything have to be so serious. We can't stop the judges from connecting with what the audience connects with, that's just all part of the package. So why not kill 2 birds with one stone?

Sometimes I get the impression that to some schools marching band is just concert band but moving and with hand motions. But it's not, it's a show. A show, I'm not saying everyone should be theatrical, but an occsional concept or story really can bring out the show. It's a show so please your audience! And have fun with it!

Also music have you even seen our show Live?

sorry.

judges=subjective

Ok, here's the thing about Naperville North (and not necessarily just them, but Dan Moore in general)

The show is based on GE...I think that's pretty obvious. He's learned that you can win when you focus on GE. He's also learned that if you stuff your show with GE, you can ease up on marching and playing. I'm not saying they don't play well or move well...they just don't have to do harder music and harder drill because Dan knows that he's going to get his GE from the extraneous stuff that's happening on the field. In fact, if they were playing harder music and harder drill, it would probably take away GE because it would take away from the focus on the play or little scene that's usually going on somewhere on the field. So that's why you see the show with tons of halts and only 58 sets.

I think the problem most people have with NN is that most feel that's the "easy way out" when it comes to GE. It's cute...it's funny...it makes the audience laugh or say "aww, that's cute", but it's usually just kinda gimmicky. It's sometimes creative, and you gotta give the kids major props for pulling it off and being effective, but it's a lot harder to get tons of GE through shows that focus on the music and the movement. The Marching....and the Band part of marching band. To give a simile, I could make you laugh two different ways....one could be in a detailed and elaborate comedy standup routine, or I could just stand there and make fart noises with my armpit. You'll probably laugh at both, but most people would appreciate the standup routine more than the latter.

NN is not breaking the rules. They practice and work very hard. But the above reason is why most people in Illinois don't really respect NN very much. They feel that they take the easy way out. And this also explains why NN does well at Chicago shows that have relatively the same panels show to show (and ISU of recent years), but then get blown away at BOA shows. BOA judges see so many well constructed shows that grab you through brilliant music , movement construction, and drill, and NN comes along and the judges are like "this is clown shoes." BOA judges expect the detailed and well constructed comedy routine...not the fart noises.

This isn't meant as a slam on the students in NN's band in any way. They do what they do very well, and have success doing it. The format of their shows are determined (or recycled) by their director, not them. And I bet that there are some kids in their band that would really like to do a more serious and sophisticated show. The best way to look at this is that it's a perfect example of how marching band and judging of shows is a truly subjective activity, and how there is more than one way to interpret what marching band shows should be like.

sorry.

judges=subjective

Ok, here's the thing about Naperville North (and not necessarily just them, but Dan Moore in general)

The show is based on GE...I think that's pretty obvious. He's learned that you can win when you focus on GE. He's also learned that if you stuff your show with GE, you can ease up on marching and playing. I'm not saying they don't play well or move well...they just don't have to do harder music and harder drill because Dan knows that he's going to get his GE from the extraneous stuff that's happening on the field. In fact, if they were playing harder music and harder drill, it would probably take away GE because it would take away from the focus on the play or little scene that's usually going on somewhere on the field. So that's why you see the show with tons of halts and only 58 sets.

I think the problem most people have with NN is that most feel that's the "easy way out" when it comes to GE. It's cute...it's funny...it makes the audience laugh or say "aww, that's cute", but it's usually just kinda gimmicky. It's sometimes creative, and you gotta give the kids major props for pulling it off and being effective, but it's a lot harder to get tons of GE through shows that focus on the music and the movement. The Marching....and the Band part of marching band. To give a simile, I could make you laugh two different ways....one could be in a detailed and elaborate comedy standup routine, or I could just stand there and make fart noises with my armpit. You'll probably laugh at both, but most people would appreciate the standup routine more than the latter.

NN is not breaking the rules. They practice and work very hard. But the above reason is why most people in Illinois don't really respect NN very much. They feel that they take the easy way out. And this also explains why NN does well at Chicago shows that have relatively the same panels show to show (and ISU of recent years), but then get blown away at BOA shows. BOA judges see so many well constructed shows that grab you through brilliant music , movement construction, and drill, and NN comes along and the judges are like "this is clown shoes." BOA judges expect the detailed and well constructed comedy routine...not the fart noises.

This isn't meant as a slam on the students in NN's band in any way. They do what they do very well, and have success doing it. The format of their shows are determined (or recycled) by their director, not them. And I bet that there are some kids in their band that would really like to do a more serious and sophisticated show. The best way to look at this is that it's a perfect example of how marching band and judging of shows is a truly subjective activity, and how there is more than one way to interpret what marching band shows should be like.

I completely agree with what Tuba Deus has just responded. Yes, we do GE stuffed shows. That is Mr. Moore's style. There is absolutely nothing that we as a band can do about it. He doesnt really take our suggestions into play when writing the show. I find it really insulting when people say that we "didn't deserve to win" (actually thats just plain rude, saying it to ANY band). Sometimes, I agree. I feel that other bands do better shows than we do, but GE (or at least what I can tell of it), a lot of it is HOW the show is written. Is it written so when the music is played, it sounds good? Is the drill written well? And since Mr. Moore writes our whole show, thats all on him.

Personally, and please no one take this the wrong way, I feel that judges do sometimes judge bands with a bias if they like the band's show or not. It comes with the whole overall package performance type thing. If a band performs a really good but boring show, as opposed to a show performed equally well and really excited and engaging, who do you think will get the better score? Obviously thats not supposed to happen, but judging is subjective.

Yes we do cute and fun shows, yes we take advantage of the scoring system by focusing on GE, but people have been too distracted by the show part of our performance to realize that we can actually play our instruments (we won music execution in class 6A at ISU last year) and, this year at least, we can actually march (our visual execution finally came close to matching our music at lp).

Like I said, nobody's arguing that NN isn't generally clean. Your stuff is generally a lot easier, so it's clean earlier. When other bands clean up (because their shows are harder), that's when you get passed up.

You can't compare our style of show to the styles of bands like Marian or Morton; we are polar opposites. So instead of complaining about how we place better than we should or how judges are too subjective, sit back, relax, and enjoy the show. We'd prefer crowd appeal over some shiny dust collectors any day.

Well, that's not necessarily true...it is the judge's job to try to compare your styles. And you need to realize that if when you do gimmicky shows, that you're going to get people that don't respect that. While I respect the amount of work that you put into the activity, I'm one of the people in the stands that would prefer to see an actual marching band show as opposed to you guys' style. But like I said before, to each their own.

Yes we do cute and fun shows, yes we take advantage of the scoring system by focusing on GE, but people have been too distracted by the show part of our performance to realize that we can actually play our instruments (we won music execution in class 6A at ISU last year) and, this year at least, we can actually march (our visual execution finally came close to matching our music at lp).

Like I said, nobody's arguing that NN isn't generally clean. Your stuff is generally a lot easier, so it's clean earlier. When other bands clean up (because their shows are harder), that's when you get passed up.

You can't compare our style of show to the styles of bands like Marian or Morton; we are polar opposites. So instead of complaining about how we place better than we should or how judges are too subjective, sit back, relax, and enjoy the show. We'd prefer crowd appeal over some shiny dust collectors any day.

Well, that's not necessarily true...it is the judge's job to try to compare your styles. And you need to realize that if when you do gimmicky shows, that you're going to get people that don't respect that. While I respect the amount of work that you put into the activity, I'm one of the people in the stands that would prefer to see an actual marching band show as opposed to you guys' style. But like I said before, to each their own.

To the top quote, we certainlydo some hard stuff. One of the judges kinda said that to us after LP. The response was " you wouldn't know cause your not on the field with us." we do work alot in minor details.

To your second quote. Mr. Moore is a thick skinned man. He spent most of his DCI years with a corps that I dint think even placed above 10th ever.. (genseo knights). To tell you the truth, he knows some people don't respect our style of music. But he knows that the audience LIKES the show show. Who doesn't laugh when you watched our show? He wants the audiences enjoyment. I bet he wouldn't really care if we played our best show and the audience loved t but we ended up last, he probably wouldn't really care, us students will, but he would know inside the truth. Like I said before the awards and placing is just the gravy on top. And this is just my thinking of Mr. Moore's thinking, based on what he tells us.

can we move away from Naperville North and their fun shows now that we know the perspective from like, every single degree

Nobody's forcing you to read our discussion.

To tell you the truth, he knows some people don't respect our style of music. But he knows that the audience LIKES the show show. Who doesn't laugh when you watched our show? He wants the audiences enjoyment. I bet he wouldn't really care if we played our best show and the audience loved t but we ended up last, he probably wouldn't really care, us students will, but he would know inside the truth. Like I said before the awards and placing is just the gravy on top. And this is just my thinking of Mr. Moore's thinking, based on what he tells us.

That's definately the right attitude to have about it. The most important thing is knowing that you busted your rear and had a great experience!

can we move away from Naperville North and their fun shows now that we know the perspective from like, every single degree

To tell you the truth, he knows some people don't respect our style of music. But he knows that the audience LIKES the show show. Who doesn't laugh when you watched our show? He wants the audiences enjoyment. I bet he wouldn't really care if we played our best show and the audience loved t but we ended up last, he probably wouldn't really care, us students will, but he would know inside the truth. Like I said before the awards and placing is just the gravy on top. And this is just my thinking of Mr. Moore's thinking, based on what he tells us.

That's definately the right attitude to have about it. The most important thing is knowing that you busted your rear and had a great experience!

Your sarcasm isn't needed. And winning isn't everything.

Your sarcasm isn't needed. And winning isn't everything.
I wasn't being sarcastic, nor did I suggest that winning was everything. I was agreeing with you.

Oh my oh my, this argument has been a long time coming...

I don't think anyone is in this activity for trophies. Trophies are cool, but what do they do? They go on the table with the other 50000000 that have accumulated in the band room since the 19th century. I personally think that kids do marching band for the sense of moving forward. Even a tiny, slow crawl up through the ranks, slowly overcoming tiers of bands that used to whomp on you, year by year, is enough to make you smile when you graduate. So I'm kind of offended by the insinuation that Morton and Marian are in it for "shiny dust collectors." Morton is in it, no doubt, for that sense of progress; look at how far they've come since the start of the decade. And Marian pushes the envelope every year to try and maintain its tradition of excellence. I'm sure that "shiny dust collectors" drove every kid and director at morton to leap to 7th place in finals in 2005, or has motivated marian to win their class for almost 30 years at ISU, not to mention 7 Grand Nationals titles. What do you take these bands for, leprechauns? They aren't after shiny gold cups and plaques. They aren't sitting in their band rooms, rubbing their hands together and planning where they'll put their next trophy rack. The best award you can get from marching band is personal satisfaction. Whether that comes through simply knowing you had a great performance, or by doubling your scores in the course of your high school career, or by just knowing you left the band better than when you entered, it's always worth so much more than a trophy.

Now, a personal note about NN. Let me start by saying that I'm sure you work hard, and you feel good by then end of the season because of what you've accomplished. But to me, here's what it seems it would feel like to be beaten by a show like NN's:

Your teacher assigns your class a powerpoint presentation that is due in a month. The first night you can, you dive into research, fact-checking, paraphrasing, getting all of the information as concise and accurate as possible. Then you put together your powerpoint, making a custom layout and theme that's highly relevant to your topic. You work day and night to make your presentation beautiful and informative. And when its done, you smile because you have something that's yours, that you put hard work into and which you feel positive will get a good grade.

So you show your presentation in on the due date, and the class is clearly impressed by the work you put into your assignment. Then, a classmate of yours gives his presentation. It is made entirely from a pre-made template. Animated GIF's and wacky fonts express the information that he found. It is not exceptionally well researched. It gets the point across, and its clean, but you really feel that he hasn't been busting his buns like you have to make it. But the class giggles at his presentation, and smiles giddily as they file out of the classroom.

The next day, grades for the project are handed out. Your classmate got a better grade than you, because he incited more of an audience response. Despite all your attention to detail and focus on making something professional, he has beaten you. The sense of futility is overwhelming. Why bother working to be professional when cute can get you farther, and is so much easier?

Now imagine this scenario playing out for the entirety of your high school career.

That's what it seems to me getting beaten by NN is like.

I guess that can all be summed up as "they're taking the easy way out." Not against the rules, but maddening to competitors who emulate corps to look professional. This is just my opinion. I'm sorry I got so long-winded. Congrats to NN and all bands at Chicagoland yesterday! I'm looking forward to the rest of the season :)

that ISU "shiny dust collector" was pretty cool.

I agree with Lucio about the whole "you march for the fun, challenge, for your comrades, not the trophies" idea. My freshmen year, we didn't win any Grand Champs or anything and I still had the time of my life.

As for NN, I do think they have found a niche that has them in the position to win competitions up to and including ISU. Morton has a different niche that may be, and I emphasize may be, more difficult on the individual, but that can't be proven unless you're lucky enough to march for both schools. Maybe Morton's niche isn't as popular to some judges as NN's, but in the end, the trophies don't matter.

But that was a crazy original analogy Lucio

Your teacher assigns your class a powerpoint presentation that is due in a month. The first night you can, you dive into research, fact-checking, paraphrasing, getting all of the information as concise and accurate as possible. Then you put together your powerpoint, making a custom layout and theme that's highly relevant to your topic. You work day and night to make your presentation beautiful and informative. And when its done, you smile because you have something that's yours, that you put hard work into and which you feel positive will get a good grade.

So you show your presentation in on the due date, and the class is clearly impressed by the work you put into your assignment. Then, a classmate of yours gives his presentation. It is made entirely from a pre-made template. Animated GIF's and wacky fonts express the information that he found. It is not exceptionally well researched. It gets the point across, and its clean, but you really feel that he hasn't been busting his buns like you have to make it. But the class giggles at his presentation, and smiles giddily as they file out of the classroom.

Alright Lucio. I value your input on the topic but yet have much to go against with. Number one, NN puts as much time and effort as any band does in perfecting their show. In the last sentence of the first paragraph quoted above, you said...

And when its done, you smile because you have something that's yours, that you put hard work into and which you feel positive will get a good grade.

The people here at NN use competely original shows, which is what I am thinking since you said "premade template" as well. Our shows are original compositions musically, and drill wise. And we we feel positive we will get a good grade too.

NN definetly bustes our buns to get our show perfected. How could you even say we dont? Our show takes a different kind of patience and techinque to get down. Having the entire band dance/act in a way to make you laugh isnt exactly the easiest thing in the world...

Your analogy is wrong because you arent here to witness what we do. Think of it in a different way with the students still being the audience. There are 2 teachers. One teacher is serious and down to dirt. Does things the traditional way. No fun involved and is just strict, serious, and dark. The other teacher is young and light hearted. Lets things slide and have a fun way of teaching. Both classes learn the same material and end up with the same amount of knowledge. How can that be? Many of us know in elementary school which teachers were fun and which were strict. Now which do you think the students would rather have? Like I have said were here to make the audience happy. Were here for the students. Not to be the model teacher to our principal and win educator of the year.

Additionally not all corps were like this. There was a corp called the Velvet Knights. Look up their shows I bet youll find one similiar to the 2006 NN Show entitled Around the World in 10 Minutes. Except it was originally composed musically and drill wise by our director. And I think there are more I just cant remember the names.

Im sorry you dont like bands that would rather please the audience and give them a show to enjoy then try to understand whats going on and interpret why their show is entitled what it is.

Alright Lucio. I value your input on the topic but yet have much to go against with. Number one, NN puts as much time and effort as any band does in perfecting their show. In the last sentence of the first paragraph quoted above, you said...

And when its done, you smile because you have something that's yours, that you put hard work into and which you feel positive will get a good grade.

The people here at NN use competely original shows, which is what I am thinking since you said "premade template" as well. Our shows are original compositions musically, and drill wise. And we we feel positive we will get a good grade too.

NN definetly bustes our buns to get our show perfected. How could you even say we dont? Our show takes a different kind of patience and techinque to get down. Having the entire band dance/act in a way to make you laugh isnt exactly the easiest thing in the world...

Your analogy is wrong because you arent here to witness what we do. Think of it in a different way with the students still being the audience. There are 2 teachers. One teacher is serious and down to dirt. Does things the traditional way. No fun involved and is just strict, serious, and dark. The other teacher is young and light hearted. Lets things slide and have a fun way of teaching. Both classes learn the same material and end up with the same amount of knowledge. How can that be? Many of us know in elementary school which teachers were fun and which were strict. Now which do you think the students would rather have? Like I have said were here to make the audience happy. Were here for the students. Not to be the model teacher to our principal and win educator of the year.

Additionally not all corps were like this. There was a corp called the Velvet Knights. Look up their shows I bet youll find one similiar to the 2006 NN Show entitled Around the World in 10 Minutes. Except it was originally composed musically and drill wise by our director. And I think there are more I just cant remember the names.

Im sorry you dont like bands that would rather please the audience and give them a show to enjoy then try to understand whats going on and interpret why their show is entitled what it is.

I'm gonna be honest here, NNHSax...if you'd just let the issue go, it wouldn't be an issue anymore...you get all angry when people speak out against your school, but when you reply, you get all "7th-grade-girl" on everyone, it just makes it go on and on and on...this has been an issue for a long time, and it usually comes up every year, but getting all indignant about it doesn't help your cause. It just makes you sound like a junior high girl and then people feel like they need to respond to you. I'm sorry people have a problem with your band program. That sucks. Move on, do a great show, feel proud of yourself, and forget what everyone else thinks.

I'm gonna be honest here, NNHSax...if you'd just let the issue go, it wouldn't be an issue anymore...you get all angry when people speak out against your school, but when you reply, you get all "7th-grade-girl" on everyone, it just makes it go on and on and on...this has been an issue for a long time, and it usually comes up every year, but getting all indignant about it doesn't help your cause. It just makes you sound like a junior high girl and then people feel like they need to respond to you. I'm sorry people have a problem with your band program. That sucks. Move on, do a great show, feel proud of yourself, and forget what everyone else thinks.
Ha, if only the whole website worked like that. I have proof of band memebrs going to their director when negative comments about their band is posted on this website. =\

Also this topic is about argueing about Naperville North isnt it? Maybe to You personally its not a big deal when other people talk bad about your band because maybe your not in a band! Am I right correct me if im wrong.

And even if I do sound like a 7th grade girl at least my conscience will be clear. If you hate it so much dont read this topic. There are plenty more topics for you to post on and read about.

Isnt a forum meant for stuff like this? If your complaining about a guy argueing their side of an arguement on a FORUM... Well then I think somethings wrong.

Quoting limited to 3 levels deep

Ha, if only the whole website worked like that. I have proof of band memebrs going to their director when negative comments about their band is posted on this website. =\

Also this topic is about argueing about Naperville North isnt? Maybe to You personally its not a big deal when other people talk bad about your band because maybe your not in a band! Am I right correct me if im wrong.

And even if I do sound like a 7th grade girl at least my conscience will be clear. If you hate it so much dont read this topic. There are plenty more topics for you to post on and read about.

Isnt a forum meant for stuff like this? If your complaining about a guy argueing their side of an arguement on a FORUM... Well then I think somethings.

I'm not in a band anymore, no. I did band for four years in high school.

And as far as your arguing, you'd be much more effective to just let it be on the field.

I think I came off as harsh regarding how much work you do. I readily admit that I have never seen NN practice. And I'm sure that you guys put in as much work as any other band. Heck, you win consistently, so that must be something to show for your effort.

You have to see this from the perspective of other bands. I think that other analogy I overheard is, besides being simpler, much more accurate. What your band does is amazing. Highly entertaining and cleverly constructed. But it is so radically different from the norm that it's hard to take seriously as being judged better. Not that there's anything wrong with being different. It just complicates things from a judging standpoint, you know? Other bands are the people who prepared their chili recipes, only to be confused and disappointed when beaten by surf n' turf. There's nothing wrong with the surf n' turf! Its just that to the chili-makers, it doesn't seem to belong...

I think that this may be because the GE that NN produces is so different. Laughing at clever humor watching NN's show is an entirely different experience from feeling like crapping your pants from awesome overload watching, say, Broken Arrow. This is not to say that your GE, or theirs, is "wrong!" From the view of another band, particularly one of the many from Illinois who prefer the make-people-soil-themselves, your method probably looks downright silly. Whether it is is a matter of opinion, and not worth debating. But if other bands that outlook on your program, it's easy to see how your success could be frustrating to them.

Also, I have heard of Velvet Knights. When I said emulate corps I meant the general idea that corps give tightly focused and intense performances. Velvet Knights are an exception to this generalization, and I wouldn't be surprised if they caused the same sort of ruckus among insiders to the activity.

I am not taking one side or another in this, although my first post indicates that strongly. In typing all this, I think I've gained a better understanding of the psychology at work here. So, I apologize if I offended you before. But the above is how I think this whole argument is working. Again, sorry, and I hope we can see eye to eye on this.

Quoting limited to 3 levels deep

Also this topic is about argueing about Naperville North isnt? Maybe to You personally its not a big deal when other people talk bad about your band because maybe your not in a band! Am I right correct me if im wrong.

Isnt a forum meant for stuff like this? If your complaining about a guy argueing their side of an arguement on a FORUM... Well then I think somethings.

I'm not in a band anymore, no. I did band for four years in high school.

And as far as your arguing, you'd be much more effective to just let it be on the field.

that's very true Eraserhead. Don't be like Kanye! if Kanye just let his music do the talking, no one would be annoyed by him.

I disagree with the analogy that Lucio made, but I think that NNHSSax, is also making a hopeless case..., and I like what ManInThePlanet said about being proud of your show, and of course an incredibly gimmicky show would come up again and again as an issue, but I think that everyone always talks about winning about doing Naperville North doing something simple and winning by their color guard or the funness is kind of ironic.

Because you have 40% of scores given by judges who are completely oblivious to what's going on and judging based on how well students are marching, and individually playing, and how well the sound comes out as an ensemble, and if you think 40% isn't a lot, talk to Lincoln-Way East, they won Lake Park despite Naperville North winning best GE (60% of scores). Not only that, but you can always find SOME judge who enjoys the typical classic show and not the gimmicky ones judging GE, and not get a show like Naperville North and end up giving it an incredibly low score.

and also, I find that if someone talks about easy drill and music, shouldn't that mean that it's maximized just as easily? Wouldn't Naperville North have high visual and music scores in the beginning and then find no room for improvement? I think that NNHS does work hard and is motivated just like everyone else to be self-directed and work hard - they've never beaten Marian Catholic...and they always look better every time I see them

I disagree with the analogy that Lucio made, but I think that NNHSSax, is also making a hopeless case...(is it true that people are texting the NNHS drum major complaining about his comments? I overheard that from somebody at CMBF but wasn't too sure...), and I like what ManInThePlanet said about being proud of your show, and of course an incredibly gimmicky show would come up again and again as an issue, but I think that everyone always talks about winning about doing Naperville North doing something simple and winning by their color guard or the funness is kind of ironic.

Because you have 40% of scores given by judges who are completely oblivious to what's going on and judging based on how well students are marching, and individually playing, and how well the sound comes out as an ensemble, and if you think 40% isn't a lot, talk to Lincoln-Way East, they won Lake Park despite Naperville North winning best GE (60% of scores). Not only that, but you can always find SOME judge who enjoys the typical classic show and not the gimmicky ones judging GE, and not get a show like Naperville North and end up giving it an incredibly low score.

and also, I find that if someone talks about easy drill and music, shouldn't that mean that it's maximized just as easily? Wouldn't Naperville North have high visual and music scores in the beginning and then find no room for improvement? I think that NNHS does work hard and is motivated just like everyone else to be self-directed and work hard - they've never beaten Marian Catholic...and they always look better every time I see them

Well put.

Naperville North has a lot to be proud of...such as great musicians and a director who obviously knows what's going on...so, NNHSax, just let your shows talk for you...they do more for your cause than your words do.