Illinois Marching Online
Sign in to follow this  
AustinIllini

Lincoln-Way West

Quoting limited to 3 levels deep

Just so you know, Lincoln-Way East and Lincoln-Way Central are now roughly the same size as Morton-a 2A band.

It's NOT the quantity of the band. It's the quality. There's some very high quality bands that are in 1A and 2A, just as there are in 5A and 6A. Remember, Morton only finished .4 behind Naperville North last year.

And this brings me to my favorite point, one that I bring back a lot: In 1993, at Grand Nationals, Jackson Academy from Mississippi won Class A, marching AT MOST 40 kids. They performed in Finals, beating Duncanville from Texas, a band that was probably 6-7 times their size. They also beat the 1995 Grand National Champion, Center Grove from Indiana. Jackson Academy finished in 8th place, only a point behind Marian Catholic, the AA Champion.

Morton has over 100 students i believe. Probably 20-30 less then what NN had last year. Which either way is double of what any other 1A or 2A band has. And by the looks of it sponsored by their parents/band members/ school alot more then NN has been sponsered. Also bringing back the point about the ecnomy beinh down the drain yet leavin to bad growth. NN also has a terrible flow of money. And its not our fault, us students cant do much and the school doesnt seem to want to help us. Dont believe me? Look at our drums they are hand me downs from Lake Park 5 years ago...(Meaning they are 10 years old)

Thing is ACCORDING TO THIS VIDEO we just say they have around 40 people. Okay Why dont we say Watseka has a great band and may just win the Grand Champion this year at ISU. BETTER YET GRAND NATIONALS!

No I am not mocking what you said. Thing is that Jackson Academy happened once in more then a decade. Yes whose to say LWW isnt the next Jacksons academy. I doubt Jacksons Academy was a splinter off another school and was just opened the year it accomplished so much.

I am speaing in a current perspective not a "maybe in 25 years they will be extremely good!".

MOD EDIT: Okay guys, seriously, this Pizza thing is getting out of hand. Let's focus on the topic at hand, LWW. Thanks

I suggest you expand your mind just a little and seek knowledge and information on marching band to include more then just Illinois. While the Jackson Academy reference did take place several years ago, they, as well as many other "small" bands have had great success and accomplishments since then...and will continue to do so. Grand Nationals is only one competition and not everyone attends. Many great things are happening in many circuits from many bands all over the country.

Quality is, first and foremost, the biggest factor in any bands' success. Size is not a major factor. A quality program will include a high standard of education and training (both musically and visually). Sadly, a majority of the small bands in Illinois are happy with the status quo and what you see is what you get. No growth, no improvement, little inspiration. It actually takes effort (and willingness) on the side of the director to make his/her program great.

Money, or the lack of, is also a weak excuse for programs not being successful. It's all about the level of education the director(s) are offering and providing for the students. Yes, being able to hire additional staff is very helpful, but there are plenty of resources available that do not cost a lot of money. It's all about the effort put forth by the director to provide quality and consistent eduction and training that is best for their students. The money needed for equipment (or anything else needed/wanted) is out there. There are many ways to fundraise and find sources of income for the program. Sometimes a little creativity is needed to tap into these resources.

Schools that split may see a change for a year or two, but the level and quality of the education and training provided shouldn't change. Granted, a newer school usually has younger students...thus, the level of experience is really the only factor that may be a consideration for a year or so. It should never take 25 years to build any program.

More often then not, a program is held back by the director. Many just need to take a step back...look at their program..and look around the activity (beyond Illinois, too).

LWW will do as well as the director, staff, and students decide!

Quoting limited to 3 levels deep

Just so you know, Lincoln-Way East and Lincoln-Way Central are now roughly the same size as Morton-a 2A band.

It's NOT the quantity of the band. It's the quality. There's some very high quality bands that are in 1A and 2A, just as there are in 5A and 6A. Remember, Morton only finished .4 behind Naperville North last year.

And this brings me to my favorite point, one that I bring back a lot: In 1993, at Grand Nationals, Jackson Academy from Mississippi won Class A, marching AT MOST 40 kids. They performed in Finals, beating Duncanville from Texas, a band that was probably 6-7 times their size. They also beat the 1995 Grand National Champion, Center Grove from Indiana. Jackson Academy finished in 8th place, only a point behind Marian Catholic, the AA Champion.

A good point, especially when you consider the fact that Morton also demolished NN and VJA at the BOA St. Louis regional as well. (a week later that ISU) Lincoln Way North almost beat both of them as well, and they were pretty small.

However, I think Jackson Academy is a pretty big outlier. I think that size matters up to a certain point. Once you get above a certain number of members, then you can get a fairer shake.

So I guess I see both sides of the argument.

And for the record, although I don't like it, I do tend to agree that all this splitting of the districts is going to overall weaken the LW programs. Especially since I heard that the anticipated growth that Altotus was talking about isn't really happening much right now because the economy is in the toilet (nobody building houses). Things could change, but who knows. It just seems impossible to keep diluting the talent and maintain a good product. And timing is everything...if those programs start to go down, they may have more trouble attracting kids, etc.

When was the last time LWC and LWE marched under 140 people? Maybe East's first couple years? That's crazy.

I dont know how to quote more than one person per post. So hopefully this'll all make sense.

All the classes at ISU are based on SCHOOL size, not BAND size. If NN or LWC or any other 6A school had the same percentage of kids marching as Morton, Marian, or some of the 1A/2A schools, those bands would be FREAKING RIDICULOUS. No band can be looked down upon just because they come from a small school. That's just ridiculous, biased, and unfair.

ItsOnTheField: "Money, or the lack of, is also a weak excuse for programs not being successful."

I totally agree. Yes, NNHSax, we have drums that are ridiculously old, but that doesn't mean our drumline is bad. If we got new drums, the only thing that'd accomplish is making our drumline very happy, not necessarily make them any better. Likewise, you could give a really good drumline, like VJA, old drums and I'm sure they'd still sound great. Personally, I feel that at NNHS the band does not get a lot of money from the school compared to more popular activities like football, and thats where we feel it to be unfair, and I think this is where our complaints root from. I dont know if its actually true or not, but I feel that football families shell out a lot less than band families do to participate. I know thats at least true for gymnastics, which I participate in. We get a lot of money from the school to buy equipment for gymnastics, but in band every musician that uses a school-owned instrument has to pay fees, and other things like that.

Its not that none of us can afford it, because as robes-and-swd said, Naperville is one of the most affluent suburbs of Chicago. Money is just an excuse for programs not being successful. ItsOnTheField said it perfectly.

I hate to say it, but at some point I see one of these LW schools dropping off the map in marching band....but in three years I bet we'll see East and North considerably out in front of Central and West.

I know this is a dead topic, but he seemed to hit the nail right on the head. It's too bad.