Illinois Marching Online
Sign in to follow this  
AustinIllini

Lincoln-Way West

The SouthTown Star had a photo gallery of the dedication ceremony yesterday.

Here's an image of the guard, with the band behind it. It's a bit small, but here's what I gather: Orange plumes, black pants, black/green jackets with a line down the middle.

TIN_lincWest_P5_dst_feed_20090802_15_39_04_14156-241-400.imageContent

The SouthTown Star had a photo gallery of the dedication ceremony yesterday.

Here's an image of the guard, with the band behind it. It's a bit small, but here's what I gather: Orange plumes, black pants, black/green jackets with a line down the middle.

TIN_lincWest_P5_dst_feed_20090802_15_39_04_14156-241-400.imageContent

I believe that the line down the middle is supposed to resemble a "W" just as the lines on North's resemble a "N".

Well their band looks rather small. I guess well see how they do. But I doubt they will ever be able to move up to the level of LWE or LWC.

Well their band looks rather small. I guess well see how they do. But I doubt they will ever be able to move up to the level of LWE or LWC.
Basing if off their size. You have never seen a 1A 2A 3A (other than Marian because they have a 6A sized band) winning Grand Champion at ISU. That's not stretching it either. Once I see it I'll believe it. Maybe they will have the same musical scores but not the same effect (level) as LWE or LWC. Truthfully LWC isn't doing as well as I used to remember. That's because of the splits. Think of it as a Pizza and the pizza broke into 2 pieces but one piece is significantly bigger than the other one. Okay is the smaller piece gonna have more flavor more taste and more effect than the piece that is significantly bigger but made up of the same substances if not better?

Dont get me wrong im not saying they are terrible nor am I dissing their band. Just stating my own opinion.

Basing if off their size. You have never seen a 1A 2A 3A (other than Marian because they have a 6A sized band) winning Grand Champion at ISU. That's not stretching it either. Once I see it I'll believe it. Maybe they will have the same musical scores but not the same effect (level) as LWE or LWC. Truthfully LWC isn't doing as well as I used to remember. That's because of the splits. Think of it as a Pizza and the pizza broke into 2 pieces but one piece is significantly bigger than the other one. Okay is the smaller piece gonna have more flavor more taste and more effect than the piece that is significantly bigger but made up of the same substances if not better?

Dont get me wrong im not saying they are terrible nor am I dissing their band. Just stating my own opinion.

Now pretend that the small section of the pizza has the potential to grow more than the other sections. Never say never. Now I'm hungry

Now pretend that the small section of the pizza has the potential to grow more than the other sections. Never say never. Now I'm hungry
hahahaha, so true!

lol and great analogy btw. Now I'm hungry too :P

Just so you know, Lincoln-Way East and Lincoln-Way Central are now roughly the same size as Morton-a 2A band.

It's NOT the quantity of the band. It's the quality. There's some very high quality bands that are in 1A and 2A, just as there are in 5A and 6A. Remember, Morton only finished .4 behind Naperville North last year.

And this brings me to my favorite point, one that I bring back a lot: In 1993, at Grand Nationals, Jackson Academy from Mississippi won Class A, marching AT MOST 40 kids. They performed in Finals, beating Duncanville from Texas, a band that was probably 6-7 times their size. They also beat the 1995 Grand National Champion, Center Grove from Indiana. Jackson Academy finished in 8th place, only a point behind Marian Catholic, the AA Champion.

Just so you know, Lincoln-Way East and Lincoln-Way Central are now roughly the same size as Morton-a 2A band.

It's NOT the quantity of the band. It's the quality. There's some very high quality bands that are in 1A and 2A, just as there are in 5A and 6A. Remember, Morton only finished .4 behind Naperville North last year.

And this brings me to my favorite point, one that I bring back a lot: In 1993, at Grand Nationals, Jackson Academy from Mississippi won Class A, marching AT MOST 40 kids. They performed in Finals, beating Duncanville from Texas, a band that was probably 6-7 times their size. They also beat the 1995 Grand National Champion, Center Grove from Indiana. Jackson Academy finished in 8th place, only a point behind Marian Catholic, the AA Champion.

A good point, especially when you consider the fact that Morton also demolished NN and VJA at the BOA St. Louis regional as well. (a week later that ISU) Lincoln Way North almost beat both of them as well, and they were pretty small.

However, I think Jackson Academy is a pretty big outlier. I think that size matters up to a certain point. Once you get above a certain number of members, then you can get a fairer shake.

So I guess I see both sides of the argument.

And for the record, although I don't like it, I do tend to agree that all this splitting of the districts is going to overall weaken the LW programs. Especially since I heard that the anticipated growth that Altotus was talking about isn't really happening much right now because the economy is in the toilet (nobody building houses). Things could change, but who knows. It just seems impossible to keep diluting the talent and maintain a good product. And timing is everything...if those programs start to go down, they may have more trouble attracting kids, etc.

When was the last time LWC and LWE marched under 140 people? Maybe East's first couple years? That's crazy.

When was the last time LWC and LWE marched under 140 people? Maybe East's first couple years? That's crazy.

probably 2003. my senior year (2004), there were 143 in the group that marched ISU

Morton has over 100 students i believe. Probably 20-30 less then what NN had last year. Which either way is double of what any other 1A or 2A band has. And by the looks of it sponsored by their parents/band members/ school alot more then NN has been sponsered. Also bringing back the point about the ecnomy beinh down the drain yet leavin to bad growth. NN also has a terrible flow of money. And its not our fault, us students cant do much and the school doesnt seem to want to help us. Dont believe me? Look at our drums they are hand me downs from Lake Park 5 years ago...(Meaning they are 10 years old)

Thing is ACCORDING TO THIS VIDEO we just say they have around 40 people. Okay Why dont we say Watseka has a great band and may just win the Grand Champion this year at ISU. BETTER YET GRAND NATIONALS!

No I am not mocking what you said. Thing is that Jackson Academy happened once in more then a decade. Yes whose to say LWW isnt the next Jacksons academy. I doubt Jacksons Academy was a splinter off another school and was just opened the year it accomplished so much.

I am speaing in a current perspective not a "maybe in 25 years they will be extremely good!".

MOD EDIT: Okay guys, seriously, this Pizza thing is getting out of hand. Let's focus on the topic at hand, LWW. Thanks

Quoting limited to 3 levels deep

Morton has over 100 students i believe. Probably 20-30 less then what NN had last year. Which either way is double of what any other 1A or 2A band has. And by the looks of it sponsored by their parents/band members/ school alot more then NN has been sponsered. Also bringing back the point about the ecnomy beinh down the drain yet leavin to bad growth. NN also has a terrible flow of money. And its not our fault, us students cant do much and the school doesnt seem to want to help us. Dont believe me? Look at our drums they are hand me downs from Lake Park 5 years ago...(Meaning they are 10 years old)

Thing is ACCORDING TO THIS VIDEO we just say they have around 40 people. Okay Why dont we say Watseka has a great band and may just win the Grand Champion this year at ISU. BETTER YET GRAND NATIONALS!

No I am not mocking what you said. Thing is that Jackson Academy happened once in more then a decade. Yes whose to say LWW isnt the next Jacksons academy. I doubt Jacksons Academy was a splinter off another school and was just opened the year it accomplished so much.

I am speaing in a current perspective not a "maybe in 25 years they will be extremely good!".

MOD EDIT: Okay guys, seriously, this Pizza thing is getting out of hand. Let's focus on the topic at hand, LWW. Thanks

It is not just the size of the band, the talent and the dedication of the directors and staff are another huge contributing factor in to the success of a band. No one said that LWW or LWN were going to win ISU or Nationals.

While money does have some affect on the success of a band, the dedication of the students and parents can supersede poor funding. The success of a band does not depend on the age of their equipment. There are two things that bands in that position can do; cave and say that they cannot be successful because they do not have the newest shinyest drums, or you can make the best of it and do the best you can about the things you can control.

Morton has over 100 students i believe. Probably 20-30 less then what NN had last year. Which either way is double of what any other 1A or 2A band has.

IVC Marches between 140-180 every year...and they are 1A.

Eureka used to march over 120 (they are down to around 80 this year)

Monticello Marches close to 90, if not 100

Dunlap marches 150 I would guess....not including their Freshman band.

Not all 1A/2A bands are small....FYI

I'd love to hear the information you have that has lead you to believe that a small town in the middle of the cornfield in central Illinois (morton) is funded more than a school in one of the more affluent Chicago suburbs (NN).

Morton has over 100 students i believe. Probably 20-30 less then what NN had last year. Which either way is double of what any other 1A or 2A band has.

IVC Marches between 140-180 every year...and they are 1A.

Eureka used to march over 120 (they are down to around 80 this year)

Monticello Marches close to 90, if not 100

Dunlap marches 150 I would guess....not including their Freshman band.

Not all 1A/2A bands are small....FYI

Dunlap hasn't marched 150 in some time as far as I know. They don't march freshman, but they are have been between 110 - 125. Not 150 without freshman.

Also, IVC has been around that size for some time, but I believe they are a bit smaller this year, but I won't quote you a number, because I'm probably wrong.

Also, I believe Morton is roughly 120 members. Not 100. Not sure where some of these numbers are coming from. I'm also not sure what your point is that NN was larger than Morton, what difference does that make?

Also, I believe Morton is roughly 120 members. Not 100. Not sure where some of these numbers are coming from. I'm also not sure what your point is that NN was larger than Morton, what difference does that make?
I said that because Dan said...

"It's NOT the quantity of the band. It's the quality. There's some very high quality bands that are in 1A and 2A, just as there are in 5A and 6A. Remember, Morton only finished .4 behind Naperville North last year."

So, in his post he was saying Morton is a small band and that they are almsot as good as Naperville North. My post was just to say they are only 20 people less. so the "Quality over Quanity" statement doesnt really fit in here. Which was what his main point was.

what fight song are they using (or did they commission/write their own)? I don't recognize it, but I only really know Big-10 songs... and not all that well.
The song is "War Eagle", the fight song of Auburn University.

I also found this little gem:

Is anyone else blown away by the fact that those kids are MOVING and doing so at a very high level for a first year program? There's dirt but the feet are pretty clean. And high school feet are usually an atrocity to watch.