Illinois Marching Online
uber_panda

Downloading shows

I know that this isn't a torrent website, but I was wondering if anyone knew of any sites where I could find and download marching shows or audio, I can't seem to find any anywhere.

I'm currently looking for L.D. Bell's Trilogy, you could once watch them on Youtube, but after a dispute with Mr. Video they had to take them off.

I got a nasty little email from Mr. Video via YouTube and all of our BOA videos that were on YouTube are down now. I understand, but its really unfortunate that people can't share videos of themselves from these events due to copyright, and due to restrictions...you can't film your own group. There's no middle ground that allows people to have there own home videos or even share videos that they purchase online from these events.

I love intelligent discussion like this.

This might get a bit long, so I apologize in advance. :rolleyes:

The following pertains to marching band. DCI is a completely different monster when it comes to this, and they've got it right. They offer video and audio downloads from 1974-present.

First, videos. I kind of agree with the way Mr. Video takes down any BOA video. They're in the business to make a profit, and videos from the past 4 years are completely available for purchase. The prices are still ludicrous, however. In addition, I've been told that BOA/Mr. Video has a copyright lawyer that comes in a couple of times a week and just puts claims in to YouTube. Also, if you purchase the Bands of America Fan Network (only $19, now through July 31st) (located here: http://www.thefannetwork.org/index.cfm?network_id=2), they have 2006 and 2007 Grand Nationals Finals Video on Demand, and all of 2008-every single event that was competed in. Also, BOA has some regional videos still around from various years, from 1998-2004. Prices vary here, but they're all under 25 bucks.

Now, I get to my favorite part, the audio aspect of marching band. This is an area in which Mr. Video/800 Video Express/whoever has seriously been lacking since about 2004. These companies used to manufacture cd's of the bands that were in finals-but as interest dwindled, they stopped making them. I would love for these companies to make a cd, but it won't happen. A few of my friends have gotten pretty good at ripping mp3s from videos, and that's how I've gained a lot of mp3s over the years.

There are/were a few places to buy/watch videos. Skramp's NewPlace used to be around, until he shut it down because there were fears that his site could have killed BOA. BOA, DCI, and WGI all have Fan Networks, where you can purchase a subscription, and watch as many videos as you like. (In DCI's case, you can buy all DCI World Class Finals performances-video and audio-dating back to 1974.)

Now, on to me. I currently have a little bit over 1,500 marching band mp3s on my computer. I also have access to the DCI Fan Network, and I can get BOA finals videos from any year. Also, if you're ingenious like me, you know how to rip videos off of YouTube. ;) Also, I probably share a bit more than I should, but that's life. People need to hear some of these shows.

This is why I'm not a big fan of "Your Favorite Marching Band Show" threads on the BOA Forums or any of the state sites I visit. It pains me to read Ronald Reagan 2005, L.D. Bell 2006 and 2007, Lassiter 1998, over and over and over again. I really wish BOA would get the Fan Network to where it should be-Grand Nationals Finals videos from every year, so people could watch Westerville South 1994 and 1996, PCEP 1999, Jackson Academy 1993 (beat Duncanville, TX-a band 15 times its' size). There are so many great marching band shows that people need to see and hear.

One thing about this thread-if you want to keep me happy (and you do,) you won't post any links to videos.

Also, uber_panda, check your PM's.

This is why I'm not a big fan of "Your Favorite Marching Band Show" threads on the BOA Forums or any of the state sites I visit. It pains me to read Ronald Reagan 2005, L.D. Bell 2006 and 2007, Lassiter 1998, over and over and over again. I really wish BOA would get the Fan Network to where it should be-Grand Nationals Finals videos from every year, so people could watch Westerville South 1994 and 1996, PCEP 1999, Jackson Academy 1993 (beat Duncanville, TX-a band 15 times its' size). There are so many great marching band shows that people need to see and hear.

So true. Having seen other shows (Like ThoughtCrime) Lassiter '98 is not as striking. While its very good in technique, there is next to no effect. I couldn't pick out a theme other than "We're playing the Wind and The Lion",but shows like ThoughtCrime have a progression and are much more entertaining. I see Lassiter '98 as Citizen Kane (the peak of technique but kinda boring) and PCMB '99 as The Godfather (The peak of entertainment but also good in technique)

I liked The Remaining a lot, but after about 5 min it goes downhill.

Beyond Perimeters is the 2nd best show no one knows about (the first being Westerville South '94)

Jackson Acadamy beats Duncanville (a band of 400) O_o

I MUST SEE THIS!!!!!!!

I couldn't pick out a theme other than "We're playing the Wind and The Lion",but shows like ThoughtCrime have a progression and are much more entertaining. I see Lassiter '98 as Citizen Kane (the peak of technique but kinda boring) and PCMB '99 as The Godfather (The peak of entertainment but also good in technique)

That's because there isn't one. :P

I couldn't pick out a theme other than "We're playing the Wind and The Lion",but shows like ThoughtCrime have a progression and are much more entertaining. I see Lassiter '98 as Citizen Kane (the peak of technique but kinda boring) and PCMB '99 as The Godfather (The peak of entertainment but also good in technique)

That's because there isn't one. :P
hahaha. lolerskates!

Beyond Perimeters is the 2nd best show no one knows about (the first being Westerville South '94)

Jackson Acadamy beats Duncanville (a band of 400) O_o

I MUST SEE THIS!!!!!!!

People know about Beyond Perimeters. .05 behind Westfield, should have beaten Westfield, in my opinion.

Grand Nationals 1993:

1 96.55 Spring (Spring, TX)-"The Music of Paul Hindemith"

2 95.25 Lake Park (Roselle, IL)-

3 94.25 Centerville (Centerville, OH)-"The Music of Earth, Wind, and Fire"

4 93.85 Westerville South (Westerville, OH)-"On the Waterfront"

5 92.65 Plymouth Canton (Canton, MI)-"Jesus Christ Superstar"

6 90.55 Marian Catholic (Chicago Heights, IL)-"The Music of Leonard Bernstein"

7 90.20 Seminole (Seminole, FL)-"Appalachian Spring"

8 89.50 Jackson Academy (Jackson, MS)-"See the World"

9 88.65 Duncanville (Duncanville, TX)

10. 88.25 Center Grove (Greenwood, IN)-Cajun Folk Songs, Touch of Grace, Appalachian Morning

11 88.25 Northrop (Fort Wayne, IN)-"Scheherazade"

12 86.60 Webster (Webster, NY)-"Polovetsian Dances"

So are video rights a part of the BOA / WGI contest agreement these days? I've wondered what would happen if a top group / designer said "No, Mr. WGI / BOA / DCI admin person, this is my show, and you may not record it."

I'd love to see a group on the field with someone holding a sign that said "Please videotape this show."

So are video rights a part of the BOA / WGI contest agreement these days? I've wondered what would happen if a top group / designer said "No, Mr. WGI / BOA / DCI admin person, this is my show, and you may not record it."

I'd love to see a group on the field with someone holding a sign that said "Please videotape this show."

No, but you're close. In order to compete, each band must have copyright clearance for each piece they perform. Copyrights are a big thing with BOA, as there was an issue a few years back with Grand Nationals dvds being delayed until almost May because of copyright issues.

No, but you're close. In order to compete, each band must have copyright clearance for each piece they perform. Copyrights are a big thing with BOA, as there was an issue a few years back with Grand Nationals dvds being delayed until almost May because of copyright issues.
So, in theory at least, a group with a custom music and drill that they either owned or controlled the rights to could tell one of the organizations to go hang it on their ear.

They just wouldn't be allowed to participate. The fact that copyright permissions must be obtained in order to perform at BOA is soley for the purpose of video distribution. Everyone should obtain copyright permission to arrange, but most people don't that aren't attending events that require it. In fact, if groups use certain music that requires additional fees for licensing of recordings...the school has to pay these fees in order to compete at BOA. Our last two shows have used public domain material, so its not been an issue at all. In the years before that, I spent months hunting down permisssions each year. I've had to talk to Dave Matthews' agent. I've talked to the attorney of the estate of Michael Kamen and had his original manuscripts sent to us, as New Moon in the Old Moon's Arms was never published in print, just audio. We've had shows with permissions paid for each 20 second snippet from 5 different publishers, and shows with just one source to worry about. It's been an expensive part of original arrangements. Certain publishers are great to work with, and others won't grant the same arranger permission to use our show arrangements with another school. It's a pain. Some composers don't want their music on a field, and never grant permission.

TechGuy, I'm pretty sure BOA would not let you perform. WGI would probably video tape you with no sound if you failed to gain copyright permission...it would be a silent video. Not sure about DCI, as I've seen listed repertoire for some corps over the years that I know the music has never been granted permission to arrange. So I don't know how they pull off their permissions???

It's kind of a moot point. Although I have a real concern about these organizations profiting from the hard work of arrangers, designers, directors and students, none of the them is awash in cash from the sale of CDs and DVDs. And that concern extends back to the original composers and publishers of the work. As a former union musician (AF of M Local 90!) I'm all about artists getting paid... even if it's a trifle.

It's kind of a moot point. Although I have a real concern about these organizations profiting from the hard work of arrangers, designers, directors and students, none of the them is awash in cash from the sale of CDs and DVDs. And that concern extends back to the original composers and publishers of the work. As a former union musician (AF of M Local 90!) I'm all about artists getting paid... even if it's a trifle.
I really don't feel like it's fair to characterize Mr. Video as profiting from designers, students, etc. Mr. Video does a service which isn't necessary but is in high enough demand. Clearly Mr. Video has to make a profit out of it, or why do it? As far as composers go, I can't imagine calling marching band anything but good advertising, right?

As far as composers go, I can't imagine calling marching band anything but good advertising, right?
Unless its a not so good arangement or the composer feels (for whatever reason) that marching band wouldn't be an appropriate performance medium.

As far as composers go, I can't imagine calling marching band anything but good advertising, right?
I wish more composers thought that way.

Here's an example: This past summer, Phantom Regiment did Loris Tjeknavorian's Dance of Ecstasy as part of their program. They performed it all summer, and after the DVD's come out, he pulls the license that he granted for the DVD's. So, DCI had to redo the 2009 DVD's, cutting out the music and the visual that went along with this piece, resulting in a lot of frustrated customers.

Also, BOA/Copy Cat Publishing has a comprehensive list of pieces that will be denied:

1. "The Easter Symphony - Mvt. 2 (Death Tree)" by David Holsinger

(publisher instructed to deny requests to arrange 2nd Movement only)

2. Music and film scores by John Williams

3. Music by Joaquin Rodrigo ("Concierto de Aranjuez")

4. Music by Charles Ives

5. "God Bless America"

6. "Riverdance"

7. Music by Vincent Persichetti

8. The use of Literary Charaters (i.e. from "Where the Wild Things Are")

9. Music and stories of Dr. Seuss

10. "Symphony #3" by James Barnes

11. Works by David Maslanka (Mr. Maslanka will consider personally creating a new commissioned work or arrangements for your band.)

12. "Ritual Fire Dance" by Manuel de Falla

13. Music from any Disney Film less than six (6) months after the film's release.

14. "Carmina Burana" by Carl Orff

15. Music composed or performed by the rock group Van Halen.

16. "Barbarian Horde" from the Motion Picture "Gladiator"

17. "The Battle" from the Motion Picture "Gladiator"

18. "Progeny" from the Motion Picture "Gladiator"

19. Music composed or performed by the rock group U2.

20. "She Loves You" by John Lennon and Paul McCartney

21. "Space Oddity" by David Bowie

22. "Welcome to the Black Parade" performed by My Chemical Romance

23. Music and Film scores by Thomas Newman

24. All works by Bruce Springsteen

The following will not necessarily be denied. However, our experience has been that permission may take longer than average to be granted. You should allow a minimum of 6-8 weeks or longer to license these works.

1. Hal Leonard requires that all requests be submitted via their website. You should allow approximately 6 weeks to complete the licensing process. However, the following exceptions should be noted:

* Walt Disney Music: Music from movies released within the past 6 months may not be approved.

* Any music controlled by PolyGram UK (primarily music by Bj

I really don't feel like it's fair to characterize Mr. Video as profiting from designers, students, etc. Mr. Video does a service which isn't necessary but is in high enough demand. Clearly Mr. Video has to make a profit out of it, or why do it? As far as composers go, I can't imagine calling marching band anything but good advertising, right?
Well, I'd agree that Mr. Video was supplying a service if that service was not a monopoly. As a former instructor / designer, I just find it a bit off -putting that the organizations are saying "Thanks for competing. By the way, you can't tape your own show, or control the taping of your show, or have any say whatsoever in what we do with that tape once we've made it. We'd be glad to sell it to you, and your students, and their parents. And all that money you spent creating / refining / teaching your show? We'll just take advantage of that in selling the tape to others."

Yes it is "good advertising" but....

I feel that this is a complicated issue, however, original music, drill design, and guard choreography are all intellectual property of the designers. That being said, if Mr. Video sells the designer or composers work, there should be some royalty paid...even if it is a small amount to the individual who the original material belongs.

You're not the only one who knows how to rip videos from YouTube and rip their audio, Dan ;-)

But anyway, it does seem ridiculous that Mr. Video (or anyone else for that matter) is denying us the right to an artform. Especially in cases of videos that are not professionally done. It's like saying you can't share photos from a family vacation at an amusement park, just because a logo appears in the background.