Illinois Marching Online
Sign in to follow this  
Dan Balash

ISU 2009

Random Question.....

Is the field Astroturf or just regular grass?!?!

FieldTurf.

Also, is the renovation ever going to happen? :)

450px-Hancockstadium.jpg

Yea, right after they move the pressbox off the 40 yard line :lol:
That is too funny...Is it really on the 40 yard line?!?!?! :lol:

I wish ISU would shuffle up the order of bands or something, instead of keeping it separated by size.

That would be really cool (and would probably give you the most accurate pre-finals spread, especially since they're now hiring BOA judges that are used to judging all day with classes all split up), but there's too many politics at play for that to happen.

I don't know about politics, but they'd need to move to another stadium if they really wanted to have a random draw prelims with 40+ bands. I don't think that there is space in the stadium or in the parking lots at ISU to accomodate the busses, trucks, students & fans.

Here are my predictions:

1. Marian

2. Lake Park

3. Prospect

4. DGS

5. LWE

6. LWC

7. Morton

8. LWN

9. UT

10. Andrew

I personally feel that LWC has a better shot than what you're giving them credit for.

why do you think DGS will beat LWE?

I wouldn't count on UT or LWC making finals..it's a possibility, and weirder things have happened, but at this point i'm going to have to disagree with your predictions.

I think VJA will get better than 10th, i'd say they have a shot anywhere from 5th-8th ish. and IF UT makes finals, they won't beat VJA or NN.

We'll see how the shows have come along i guess. I hope the weather doesn't get too nasty. at this point it sounds icky.

Here are my predictions:

1A - Eureka

2A - Morton

3A - Marian Catholic

4A - LWN

5A - Prospect

6A - Lake Park

Finals:

1. Marian Catholic

2. Lake Park

3. Prospect

4. LWE

5. Morton

6. LWN

7. DGS

8. NN

9. VJA

10. LWC

11. Eureka

Lock for finals:

LWN, LWE, Marian, Prospect, DGS, LWC (if they preform well in prelims)

Possibly:

UT, NN, Andrew (not counting on it)

These are some weird predictions... Lake Park isnt mentioned in your predictions either. I would liek to hear some reasoning and facts or proof to back up some of your predictions. Cause im really curious as to what your thinking. Of course your entitled to your own opinion i just wanna hear why you have that opinion.

My projections....

Class 1A Eureka

Class 2A Morton

Class 3A Marian Catholic

Class 4A LWN

Class 5A LWE

Class 6A Lake Park

Top 10:

1. Lake Park

2. Marian Catholic

3. LWE

4. Prospect

5. Morton

6. LWN

7. VJA

8. NN

9. DGS

10.LWC

Lock for finals:

Possibly:

These are some weird predictions... Lake Park isnt mentioned in your predictions either. I would liek to hear some reasoning and facts or proof to back up some of your predictions. Cause im really curious as to what your thinking. Of course your entitled to your own opinion i just wanna hear why you have that opinion.
I agree that there is a lock in LWN, LWE, LP, Prospect, and Marian

The very good shots are Morton, NN, and LWC

The bands that are on the fence line are Eureka, and DGS, and UT

I have based these sort of predictions off of the competitions in the past few weeks.

These are based on a clean show too, I think with a clean show the "locked", and the "very good shot" groups will all make it in. The class 1A champ will obviously get in as well, and I am still not sure on the fence line groups.

Again my personal opinions, and not to make a band sound bad or anything, I think all bands at this competition are all awesome bands. I am so thankful for living in IL because of our marching bands, some of the best in the nation! I WANT TO WISH EVERYONE BEST OF LUCK SATURDAY!

Lock for finals:

Possibly:

I have based these sort of predictions off of the competitions in the past few weeks.

These are based on a clean show too, I think with a clean show the "locked", and the "very good shot" groups will all make it in. The class 1A champ will obviously get in as well, and I am still not sure on the fence line groups.

Again my personal opinions, and not to make a band sound bad or anything, I think all bands at this competition are all awesome bands. I am so thankful for living in IL because of our marching bands, some of the best in the nation! I WANT TO WISH EVERYONE BEST OF LUCK SATURDAY!

I'm sure almost everyone here would say that Morton is a lock. Just saying, I seriously doubt anyone takes 2A from them this year.

I'm sure almost everyone here would say that Morton is a lock. Just saying, I seriously doubt anyone takes 2A from them this year.
Dunlap?? Just sayin.
This isn't U of I, just sayin...
Haha touche.

Your locks for finals are:

Marian

LP

LWE

Morton

Prospect

LWN

They're guaranteed spots because they won their class. Except Prospect/LWE (whoever doesn't win 5A...they'll be in no matter what though)

The almost guaranteed:

NN

VJA

The decent shots:

DGS

Warren

That's how I see your top ten scoring bands broken up.

I wish ISU would shuffle up the order of bands or something, instead of keeping it separated by size.

That would be really cool (and would probably give you the most accurate pre-finals spread, especially since they're now hiring BOA judges that are used to judging all day with classes all split up), but there's too many politics at play for that to happen.

I was actually thinking about this the other day... It would solve a lot of the questions on scoring and give some honest reads

Quoting limited to 3 levels deepwell

Despite the fact that I agree with you, I find it interesting that you always speak for "everyone" or "most people"

I'd say Dunlap should first have the goal of not getting 17 pointed by Morton, like they did last year at ISU.

Baby steps.

The brutal truth.............hurts.

But...............it's the brutal truth.

Locks are 2A, 3A, and 6A

1A and 4A are pretty much locked

5A returns to prominence as the "who's gonna win it class.........just not with VJA UT and WWS but with LWE and Prospect.......who would have thought that 5 years ago?"

Why does anyone bother reading this garbage? It cracks me up that kids predict their own band to win and rank themselves in finals so high, even above other bands that whooped them in previous competitions (most notably UT, Dunlap, NN...).

Unless you've already seen EVERY band set to perform on Saturday, how can you make an informed prediction? (Psst... that includes the ILMarching Staff)

And don't get me wrong, I know that bands make changes along the way... but doesn't EVERY band do that? Better yet, doesn't every band improve their quality of performance as they move along? Isn't that the point?

And yet for some reason, I can't NOT read this. It's like driving by a car wreck. Oh, how we waste our lives...

i agree with the different panels, but will severly miss the percussion and color guard judges at our "state champs"

Granted, they don't matter to the overall score, but it was something the kids in the sections hoped for and worked for

The color guard and percussion sections should be working to be apart of the entire package...not an entity of its own within a production. I would think and hope that the goal would be to produce success for the entire marching band, not just one section. These two sections are already judged in more then one caption. You dont have "best clarinets" or "outstanding trombones." Good music and visual judges will be making apropos comments about all sections. Need or want specialized feedback on your percussion or color guard...hire a clinician or participate in the indoor portion of these activities.
You are missing a very key part of this activity...education.

Percussion as a whole has a vast array of tecniques and large variety of instrumentation. It's far more to it then slamming sticks into a head.

I really don't feel that it's right to adjudicate a line based on balance within the ensemble alone. Which is what is going to happen. now that should be a part equation but there is far more to a good drumline then that. A good drumline also executes their book both musically and rythmically. Has an understanding and displays the proper technique orthe instrument they are playing. And executes a challenging book. That's a good drumline.

I'm sorry but I can't see a panel of judges that are going to be off the field accuratly scoring a drumline. Especially if there isn't someone qualified to make percussion comments on the panel.

These drumlines have been scored a certain way all year and now it's going to be changed? It's a little bogus if ask me.

They should have just axed the captions. That's more or less what they did. The score will have zero merit and the tapes will have zero constructive comments to help improve the kids as performers

There is just to much going on from a technique level to accuratly score these captions. I'm going to say it right now the drumlines will be placed in relatively the exact order of the music scores are and are going to be directly related to the size of the hornline because it has a better chance of balancing.

Why does anyone bother reading this garbage? It cracks me up that kids predict their own band to win and rank themselves in finals so high, even above other bands that whooped them in previous competitions (most notably UT, Dunlap, NN...).

Unless you've already seen EVERY band set to perform on Saturday, how can you make an informed prediction? (Psst... that includes the ILMarching Staff)

And don't get me wrong, I know that bands make changes along the way... but doesn't EVERY band do that? Better yet, doesn't every band improve their quality of performance as they move along? Isn't that the point?

And yet for some reason, I can't NOT read this. It's like driving by a car wreck. Oh, how we waste our lives...

Now fool, let's not get crazy. No one here claims to be an expert. If I want to post that I think the Chicago Wolves are going to take ISU this year, I will do so on a forum that is open to all for discussion. I don't claim to know anything and a great deal of our members don't reveal their school affiliation. I do, and I'm not going to leave LWE out of finals just because you think it's unfair.

PS. I'm ilmarching staff, and I have seen 90% of the bands in some form.

i agree with the different panels, but will severly miss the percussion and color guard judges at our "state champs"

Granted, they don't matter to the overall score, but it was something the kids in the sections hoped for and worked for

The color guard and percussion sections should be working to be apart of the entire package...not an entity of its own within a production. I would think and hope that the goal would be to produce success for the entire marching band, not just one section. These two sections are already judged in more then one caption. You dont have "best clarinets" or "outstanding trombones." Good music and visual judges will be making apropos comments about all sections. Need or want specialized feedback on your percussion or color guard...hire a clinician or participate in the indoor portion of these activities.
You are missing a very key part of this activity...education.

Percussion as a whole has a vast array of tecniques and large variety of instrumentation. It's far more to it then slamming sticks into a head.

I really don't feel that it's right to adjudicate a line based on balance within the ensemble alone. Which is what is going to happen. now that should be a part equation but there is far more to a good drumline then that. A good drumline also executes their book both musically and rythmically. Has an understanding and displays the proper technique orthe instrument they are playing. And executes a challenging book. That's a good drumline.

I'm sorry but I can't see a panel of judges that are going to be off the field accuratly scoring a drumline. Especially if there isn't someone qualified to make percussion comments on the panel.

These drumlines have been scored a certain way all year and now it's going to be changed? It's a little bogus if ask me.

They should have just axed the captions. That's more or less what they did. The score will have zero merit and the tapes will have zero constructive comments to help improve the kids as performers

There is just to much going on from a technique level to accuratly score these captions. I'm going to say it right now the drumlines will be placed in relatively the exact order of the music scores are and are going to be directly related to the size of the hornline because it has a better chance of balancing.

The drumlines aren't going to be "placed" this year. They will effect the score via the percussion caption on the individual music sheet, as well as by their contribution to the entire musical performance on the music ensemble sheet.

They are approaching the show a little more like BOA. Just Music, Visual, and GE caption awards.

If they were still giving a percussion caption award, but not using a separate judge for it, I would be annoyed as well.

As stated at the very beginning of the season, the staff predictions are FOR FUN! We run this site because we have fun doing it. We go to as many shows as possible because we love it. And then we take what we see and TRY and make predictions for the coming week. We never claim to be the end all knowledge....that is why we are NOT judges. I can only think of one week where we were above say 65% correct...and that is fine. We do this for fun. Our fun and our members fun. One year, there were no predictions (2006)...and people disliked that very much. So...we do the best we can...and never claim to be right all the time. So your comment in the second paragraph I see as a personal attack on the staff....I that is no good. Please refrain from that.

As for calling our forums garbage or lame....why? Why would you still be here if you felt such. There are many many people who love these forums. Not because it is happy golucky all of the time, but because it sparks lively debate. I will admit, someone coming in and saying Band A will win and not give any SUPPORT for their answer is not good...but it happens. That then sparks another debate as to why they think that. Anything...and I do mean anything...can happen week to week...So just because you lost one weekend doesn't mean you can't have an amazing show and win the next. According to my probability class....it is a small chance...but a chance none the less. So on this note....if you don't like our forums...please leave.

On a final note, a note which ill post later today somewhere else, but I feel it deserves mention here...Dan and I (and a majority of the staff if I am correct) will be out of town this weekend. We will be at ISU with limited computer access until Sunday. So from tonight when I go pick up Dan, until Sunday...please keep attacks, etc to a minimum. Read the forum rules if you have questions. But since we will all be gone, the chances of something coming through that do not abide by our rules are higher...and won't be dealt with until Sunday. There will be a zero tolerance for rule breaking this weekend...as I will be very tired on Sunday.

Thanks everyone! (GL tomorrow!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!)

Dunlap?? Just sayin.
I'd say Dunlap should first have the goal of not getting 17 pointed by Morton, like they did last year at ISU.

Baby steps.

I think we responded well from that at U of I last year.