Illinois Marching Online
Sign in to follow this  
Dan Balash

ISU 2009

So we're all counting LWC out on finals?
It is somewhat interesting that one of the biggest talks seems to be how surprised people are that there is a good chance LWC isn't making finals. Shows how resistent we are to change. It is a shame though if they do not.

I have to say all of the 4A bands have there work cut out for them. I mean Lincoln-Way North is have a great year as do all of the LWs, and Lockport hasn't done bad either. Bloomington took to Morton like a storm this year, and coming from UT we are doing pretty good for ourselves, and you know after last year, I think we are all looking to prove ourselves considering i think everyone thinks that we arent a threat anymore. But I can't wait to see what happens at state, good or bad! All of the bands this year, it seems, have re-invented themselves, and its going to be a SUPER competitive state this year! Between all of the bands in 4A especially! So good luck to all of the bands and give it your all because were coming!

Class 2A-6A winners will all have top 10 scores. If so there will only be 11 bands in Finals. The top 10 scores + the Class 1A winner

Finals Prediction:

1 MC

2 Lake Park

3 Prospect

4 LWE

5 LWN

6 Morton

7 Naperville North

8 VJA

9 Warren Township

10 DGS, Waubonsie Valley, LWC, Lockport, UT, Bloomington,?

11 Eureka 1A Champ

It's nice to see some new faces trying to battle in there. Those last 2 spots are going to be very close. Should be a very entertaining night. Good Luck to everyone.

Here are my thoughts

1A

1 Herscher 68,1

2 Eureka 65.1

3 IVC 61.2

2A

1 Morton 79.2

2 Lincoln-Way West 67,5

3 Geneseo 63.1

3A

1 Marian Catholic 95.25

2 Limestone 76.9

3 Lemont 74.2

4A

1 Lincoln-Way North 89.1

2 United Township 77.9

3 Romeoville 77.0

5A

1 Lincoln-Way East 91.2

2 Prospect 87.1

3 Wheaton Warrenville South 79.1

6A

1 Lake Park 93.4

2 Victor J Andrew 86.8

3 Downers Grove South 85.2

Finals

1 Marian Catholic 96.1

2 Lake Park 94.2

3 Lincoln-Way East 93.1

4 Lincoln-Way North 90.6

5 Prospect 89.1

6 Victor J Andrew 88.4

7 Downers Grove South 85.1

8 Morton 80.3

9 Naperville North 80.1(I wouldn't be surprised if they DON'T make finals... They are VERY dirty, but their name is going to carry them)

10 Warren Township 79.3

11 Herscher 70.3

I think this will be pretty close... and I wouldn't be surprised if the last two spots in finals weren't interchangeable with Lockport, WWS, and Wabonsie Valley.

This is REALLY a day I wish ISU ran the same style as BOA (i.e. mix up the order and don't put them in any specific order for prelims)

As for class 4A... It would be a miracle is anyone were to win there except for LWN. Actually, less a miracle, and more a tragedy. After watching them this weekend at the NC competition, I had to rethink my entire list of finals bands which I did as you can see in the above predictions.

my projections:

Class 1A : Illinois Valley Central

Class 2A: Morton

Class 3A: Marion Catholic

Class 4A: Bloomington (upset of the day)

Class 5A: Lincoln-Way East

Class 6A: Victor J. Andrew

Finals Projections(Not Placings) i believe they take 12 bands to finals

Victor J. Andrew

1.)Lincoln-Way East

2.)Illinois Valley Central

3.)Marion Catholic

4.)Bloomington

5.)Morton

6.)Normal West

7.)United Township

8.)Downers Grove South

9.)Warren Township

10.)Naperville North

11.)Joilet West

12.) Lockport

Tell me how i did! dead on? wayy off? in the middle? let me know

yes unfortunately your 1a and 6a projects are totally off. IVC has good songs, but cant exactly play great, let alone march. So Eureka has that class. and 6a, VJA is more likely to get 3rd or 4th if DGS shows to shine through again, but on the topic, Lake Park has their Elements show pretty much locked in and ready.
Have you hapen to see or heard about Johnston City's Show?!?!

Here are my thoughts

1A

1 Herscher 68,1

2 Eureka 65.1

3 IVC 61.2

2A

1 Morton 79.2

2 Lincoln-Way West 67,5

3 Geneseo 63.1

3A

1 Marian Catholic 95.25

2 Limestone 76.9

3 Lemont 74.2

4A

1 Lincoln-Way North 89.1

2 United Township 77.9

3 Romeoville 77.0

5A

1 Lincoln-Way East 91.2

2 Prospect 87.1

6A

1 Lake Park 93.4

2 Victor J Andrew 86.8

Finals

1 Marian Catholic 96.1

2 Lake Park 94.2

3 Lincoln-Way East 93.1

4 Lincoln-Way North 90.6

5 Prospect 89.1

6 Victor J Andrew 88.4

8 Morton 80.3

9 Naperville North 80.1(I wouldn't be surprised if they DON'T make finals... They are VERY dirty, but their name is going to carry them)

10 Warren Township 79.3

11 Herscher 70.3

I think this will be pretty close... and I wouldn't be surprised if the last two spots in finals weren't interchangeable with Lockport, WWS, and Wabonsie Valley.

This is REALLY a day I wish ISU ran the same style as BOA (i.e. mix up the order and don't put them in any specific order for prelims)

I'll be honest. I don't usually comment on predictions too much because they are just predictions. However, your numbers and spreads don't make much sense based on what has been going on this season. Please note that I'm not really taking issue with the bands you are picking, but the crazy high scores, and huge distances between groups that were close all season long.

For instance. VJA and Morton have been close each meeting. In fact, if I recall the results correctly, Morton gained a little ground each time they met up. Now however, VJA is 8 points ahead of Morton. That is a huge spread...and then there is DGS that you have 5 points ahead of Morton, and NN for that matter. I know VJA and DGS have improved, but everyone has. Those spreads are saying that groups went from comparable to no comparison in a couple weeks....

So....here is what I think. The highest score will be about 86, if they are actually paying attention to the scoring rubrics.

The scoring spread from 10th to 1st should be about a 73 to an 86, with most of the 9th through 5 scores being within 4 points....then a jump of a few points to the 4th place score.

Something like this:

1. 86

2. 84

3. 83

4. 82

5. 79

6. 78

7. 77

8. 76.5

9. 75

10. 73

11. 65

Just my 2 cents....

I guess since everyone is giving predictions I will also.

Finals:

1) Marian Catholic

2) Lake Park

3) LWE

4) Prospect

5) Morton

6) LWN

7) Naperville North

8) VJA

9) Downers Grove South

10) LWC

11) Eureka

This is all just based on recent competitions. I see 6 and 7 being interchangeable, but I don't see them passing up Morton due to the change in judges this year. I don't think this will be a good year for NN at state. (and for 9 down I took a shot in the dark because I haven't been able to see their shows) I think Marian is going to take Gold on this one after seeing them at St. Louis.

c
my projections:

Victor J. Andrew

1.)Lincoln-Way East

3.)Marion Catholic

4.)Bloomington

5.)Morton

6.)Normal West

7.)United Township

8.)Downers Grove South

9.)Warren Township

10.)Naperville North

11.)Joilet West

12.) Lockport

yes unfortunately your 1a and 6a projects are totally off. IVC has good songs, but cant exactly play great, let alone march. So Eureka has that class. and 6a, VJA is more likely to get 3rd or 4th if DGS shows to shine through again, but on the topic, Lake Park has their Elements show pretty much locked in and ready.
What a mean thing to say about IVC! Give these kids some credit - they have worked extremely hard and saying "can't exactly play great, let alone march" is totally uncalled for! IVC may not always take 1st place on the field but they take 1st place with every parent and school administration in the district. We congratulate these kids for their hard work and effort. Please, if you can't say anything nice, perhaps you shouldn't say anything at all!

Here are my thoughts

1A

1 Herscher 68,1

2 Eureka 65.1

3 IVC 61.2

2A

1 Morton 79.2

2 Lincoln-Way West 67,5

3 Geneseo 63.1

3A

1 Marian Catholic 95.25

2 Limestone 76.9

3 Lemont 74.2

4A

1 Lincoln-Way North 89.1

2 United Township 77.9

3 Romeoville 77.0

5A

1 Lincoln-Way East 91.2

2 Prospect 87.1

6A

1 Lake Park 93.4

2 Victor J Andrew 86.8

Finals

1 Marian Catholic 96.1

2 Lake Park 94.2

3 Lincoln-Way East 93.1

4 Lincoln-Way North 90.6

5 Prospect 89.1

6 Victor J Andrew 88.4

8 Morton 80.3

10 Warren Township 79.3

11 Herscher 70.3

some really interesting thoughts here.

In terms of finals thoughts: I'm going to go ahead and say downers grove will not beat morton and lincolnway north will not beat prospect or vja, but especially not prospect [unless they are REALLY REALLY dirty] i think your 1-3 is almost a lock. but you know, things happen and it could ALL change.

scores as a whole haven't been that high at state for a while, usually they top off in the high 80s, what makes you think they will be so high? just how well the top 2-3 bands have been doing? I mean i don't claim to know where they will top off, i was just asking your opinion.

c
my projections:

Victor J. Andrew

1.)Lincoln-Way East

3.)Marion Catholic

4.)Bloomington

5.)Morton

6.)Normal West

7.)United Township

8.)Downers Grove South

9.)Warren Township

10.)Naperville North

11.)Joilet West

12.) Lockport

What a mean thing to say about IVC! Give these kids some credit - they have worked extremely hard and saying "can't exactly play great, let alone march" is totally uncalled for! IVC may not always take 1st place on the field but they take 1st place with every parent and school administration in the district. We congratulate these kids for their hard work and effort. Please, if you can't say anything nice, perhaps you shouldn't say anything at all!
your right. Im sorry. It must have been a bit too harsh. I do respect their show this year, I think if they cleaned it up well enough, they will have a great show for all to watch at ISU, I guess I got details and first impressions from Morton, I will surely enjoy the show. Sorry again, have a great show.

PS: I really do enjoy your closing Song and Dance song

Well I'll throw in some predictions as well I suppose.

1A: Eureka

2A: Morton

3A: Marian Catholic

4A: LWN

5A: LWE

6A: Lake Park

1) Marian Catholic

2) Lake Park

3) LWE

4) Morton

5) Prospect

6) VJA

7) DGS

8) LWN

9) NN

10) UT

11) Eureka

My scores reflect what the system change at state will bring, and where the level of performances have been for bands... I could be WAY off here, but we will see. That's the fun in predictions =)
Oh sure, I'll attach scores for the fun of it as well. (I also changed my tenth place, because it is just too much of a toss up).

Class 1A:

Eureka 61.30

Class 2A:

Morton 76.60

Class 3A:

Marian Catholic 86.25

Class 4A:

LWN 75.50

Class 5A:

Prospect 81.80

Class 6A:

Lake Park 87.40

Finals:

Marian Catholic 87.90

Lake Park 87.20

Prospect 81.10

Lincoln-Way East 80.80

Morton 77.00

Lincoln-Way North 76.80

Victor J. Andrew 76.50

Naperville North 76.20

Downers Grove South 75.70

Warren Township/Bloomington/LWC/Lockport 70.80

Eureka 65.10

Class Predictions:

Class 1A:

Eureka

Class 2A:

Morton

Class 3A:

Marian Catholic

Class 4A:

LWN

Class 5A:

Prospect

Class 6A:

Lake Park

Finals:

1- Marian Catholic

2- Lake Park

3- Prospect

4- Lincoln-Way East

5- Morton 77.00

6- Victor J. Andrew

7- Lincoln-Way Central

8- Lincoln-Way North

9- Naperville North

10- Downers Grove South

11- Eureka

The finals predictions are placements as well, I think a few of them are interchangable, however this, I feel, is close to what may happen.

Class Predictions:

Class 1A:

Eureka

Class 2A:

Morton

Class 3A:

Marian Catholic

Class 4A:

LWN

Class 5A:

Prospect

Class 6A:

Lake Park

Finals:

1- Marian Catholic

2- Lake Park

3- Prospect

4- Lincoln-Way East

5- Morton 77.00

6- Victor J. Andrew

7- Lincoln-Way Central

8- Lincoln-Way North

9- Naperville North

10- Downers Grove South

11- Eureka

The finals predictions are placements as well, I think a few of them are interchangable, however this, I feel, is close to what may happen.

Interesting..I think that if LWC does happen to make it into finals, I sersiouly doubt they'll beat LWN...LWC will probably pull in 9 or 10 if they make it at all.

Class 1A:

Eureka

Class 2A:

Morton

Class 3A:

Marian Catholic

Class 4A:

Lincoln-Way North

Class 5A:

Lincoln-Way East

Class 6A:

Lake Park

Finals:

1- Marian Catholic

2- Lake Park

3- Lincoln-Way East

4- Prospect

5- Victor J. Andrew

6- Lincoln-Way North

7- Morton

8- Naperville North

9- Lincoln-Way Central

10- Downers Grove South

11- Eureka

Class 1A:

Eureka

Class 2A:

Morton

Class 3A:

Marian Catholic

Class 4A:

Lincoln-Way North

Class 5A:

Lincoln-Way East

Class 6A:

Lake Park

Finals:

1- Marian Catholic

2- Lake Park

3- Lincoln-Way East

4- Prospect

5- Victor J. Andrew

6- Lincoln-Way North

7- Morton

8- Naperville North

9- Lincoln-Way Central

10- Downers Grove South

11- Eureka

I cant say i agree with your finals predictions. VJA probably will not end up beating LWN, seeing as theyve made a huge head turner at these last few weeks. Im undecided if I predict LWC is up there or Warren Township. Im leaning towards Warren though. I think your bottom half prediction goes like this.

5-LWN

6-Morton

7-Naperville North

8-Downers Grove South

9-Victor J. Andrew

10-Warren Township

11-Eureka

My scores reflect what the system change at state will bring, and where the level of performances have been for bands... I could be WAY off here, but we will see. That's the fun in predictions =)
Oh sure, I'll attach scores for the fun of it as well. (I also changed my tenth place, because it is just too much of a toss up).

Class 1A:

Eureka 61.30

Class 2A:

Morton 76.60

Class 3A:

Marian Catholic 86.25

Class 4A:

LWN 75.50

Class 5A:

Prospect 81.80

Class 6A:

Lake Park 87.40

Finals:

Marian Catholic 87.90

Lake Park 87.20

Prospect 81.10

Lincoln-Way East 80.80

Morton 77.00

Lincoln-Way North 76.80

Victor J. Andrew 76.50

Naperville North 76.20

Downers Grove South 75.70

Warren Township/Bloomington/LWC/Lockport 70.80

Eureka 65.10

im gonna go ahead and say i agree with most of this except..... the top 2. lake park's improvement had been tremendous form the last five years. their show design in my opinion, is one of the best in the state and they have only been getting better. im still hesitent to put them on top though becasue we havent a seen a show from them since wheaton and it seemed the only reason they got second that was becasue they fell apart at the end. im sure that motivated them to work hard and i saw them at downers grove and they took my breath away. they are back on the rise and ready to win again so im going to go ahead and put lake park ahead of marian. plus, their new uniforms are looking very fly :P so im gonna stick with my statement and say lake park is going to take home the trophy this year.

Might as well throw in my predictions.

1A-Eureka

2A-Morton

3A-Marian Catholic

4A-Lincoln Way North

5A-Lincoln Way East

6A-Lake Park

Finals.

1-Marian Catholic

2-Lake Park

3-LWE

4-Prospect

5-Morton

6-LWN

7-VJA

8-DGS

9-NN

10-LWC

11-Eureka

Locks for Finals-Marian, Lake Park, LWE, Prospect, Morton, VJ, NN, and LWN

On the bubble-Bloomington, Warren Township, Lockport, Lincoln Way Central, WV, WWS

I think if Central is out, Bloomington or Warren will be in.