Illinois Marching Online
Sign in to follow this  
Dan Balash

ISU 2009

Quoting limited to 3 levels deepwell

I agree that there is a lock in LWN, LWE, LP, Prospect, and Marian

The very good shots are Morton, NN, and LWC

The bands that are on the fence line are Eureka, and DGS, and UT

I have based these sort of predictions off of the competitions in the past few weeks.

These are based on a clean show too, I think with a clean show the "locked", and the "very good shot" groups will all make it in. The class 1A champ will obviously get in as well, and I am still not sure on the fence line groups.

Again my personal opinions, and not to make a band sound bad or anything, I think all bands at this competition are all awesome bands. I am so thankful for living in IL because of our marching bands, some of the best in the nation! I WANT TO WISH EVERYONE BEST OF LUCK SATURDAY!

I'm sure almost everyone here would say that Morton is a lock. Just saying, I seriously doubt anyone takes 2A from them this year.
I totally agree, the only two I can possibly see taking Morton, would be LWW and Dunlap, however I don't think they will this year. Again crazy things happen at ISU, so I am just throwing in room, for the unnormal weather that could happen, or just Morton has a bad Prelim and LWW or Dunlap has a great one, idk. Again I totally agree with Morton is pretty much a lock, however I am just leaving room.

Dunlap?? Just sayin.
I'd say Dunlap should first have the goal of not getting 17 pointed by Morton, like they did last year at ISU.

Baby steps.

I think we responded well from that at U of I last year.
I honestly cannot believe you just made that statement.....

Quoting limited to 3 levels deepwellI am so thankful for living in IL because of our marching bands, some of the best in the nation! I WANT TO WISH EVERYONE BEST OF LUCK SATURDAY!

I'm sure almost everyone here would say that Morton is a lock. Just saying, I seriously doubt anyone takes 2A from them this year.
I totally agree, the only two I can possibly see taking Morton, would be LWW and Dunlap, however I don't think they will this year. Again crazy things happen at ISU, so I am just throwing in room, for the unnormal weather that could happen, or just Morton has a bad Prelim and LWW or Dunlap has a great one, idk. Again I totally agree with Morton is pretty much a lock, however I am just leaving room.
I guess I should point out that I don't think Dunlap will win class 2A. They probably have about a 1% chance of winning, but I just wanted to put out there that there is no such as a lock. Any band can have a bad day at any given time. As Chris Berman would say, "That's why they play the game!", or in this case march the show.

Quoting limited to 3 levels deep

I think we responded well from that at U of I last year.
I'm actually going to try to extend the proverbial olive branch here by positively spinning Ahelge's comments:

I'm thinking what he meant was that by getting beat so badly at ISU, the Dunlap band focused and worked on their show so they could have a better performance at U of I, not that he was suggesting the results at U of I were in any way grounded in reality.

I'd say that 2A and 3A are almost 99% locks. Limestone is a good program, but the gap between Limestone and Marian Catholic will probably be about the same as the gap between Morton and whomever is 2nd in 2A. If I was forced to bet $10,000 on any class winner, these would be the two I'd consider....easy money.

I'd say next easiest would be 6A...Lake Park is probably a 70% lock. There's some quality bands in that class, though...

4A would be next, in my opinion. I'd say this class odds are 50% LWN, 35% Bloomington, 15% UT.

1A would be next, 60% Eureka, 40% IVC.

As far as I'm concerned, 5A could be a toss-up. 50% LWE, 50% Prospect.

If I was betting money, those would be the odds I'd give. Maybe I should do that....marching band bookie!! :lol:

I'm actually going to try to extend the proverbial olive branch here by positively spinning Ahelge's comments:

I'm thinking what he meant was that by getting beat so badly at ISU, the Dunlap band focused and worked on their show so they could have a better performance at U of I, not that he was suggesting the results at U of I were in any way grounded in reality.

I'd say that 2A and 3A are almost 99% locks. Limestone is a good program, but the gap between Limestone and Marian Catholic will probably be about the same as the gap between Morton and whomever is 2nd in 2A. If I was forced to bet $10,000 on any class winner, these would be the two I'd consider....easy money.

I'd say next easiest would be 6A...Lake Park is probably a 70% lock. There's some quality bands in that class, though...

4A would be next, in my opinion. I'd say this class odds are 50% LWN, 35% Bloomington, 15% UT.

1A would be next, 60% Eureka, 40% IVC.

As far as I'm concerned, 5A could be a toss-up. 50% LWE, 50% Prospect.

If I was betting money, those would be the odds I'd give. Maybe I should do that....marching band bookie!! :lol:

I'm in...great idea ;)

On a scale a credibility of 1 - 10, 1 being U of I and 10 being BOA Grand Nationals...well you see where I'm going with this one. I mean, I love playing at U of I, it's a beautiful stadium, but the judging system there is like they write down all the bands names on pieces of paper, then fold them up, throw the paper in the air, shoot at them with a shotgun, and then what ever band's piece didn't get hit by shot wins their class...besides Prospect...they always win U of I. Well expect this year. heh

Quoting limited to 3 levels deepwellI am so thankful for living in IL because of our marching bands, some of the best in the nation! I WANT TO WISH EVERYONE BEST OF LUCK SATURDAY!

In my opinion, Morton would have to have a worse show than they've had at any rehearsal or competition over the past four years to get beaten by a great show by LWW or Dunlap. Morton's just about as much of a lock as Marian is for their class.

I wish ISU would shuffle up the order of bands or something, instead of keeping it separated by size.

That would be really cool (and would probably give you the most accurate pre-finals spread, especially since they're now hiring BOA judges that are used to judging all day with classes all split up), but there's too many politics at play for that to happen.

What do you mean by politics? Would the 5A/6A schools throw a fit or something?

I wish ISU would shuffle up the order of bands or something, instead of keeping it separated by size.

That would be really cool (and would probably give you the most accurate pre-finals spread, especially since they're now hiring BOA judges that are used to judging all day with classes all split up), but there's too many politics at play for that to happen.

I would think so. ISU knows that this is one of the main events where they can get musicians interested in their music program. The Chicago groups have more people, and ISU wants them to have a good time so they'll send kids to ISU for college. How much fun do you think NN would have if they had to play at 7am, and then wait all day until 5pm to get awards? I'm betting....they wouldn't like it at all, and they would probably complain to ISU about...so, ISU makes all the small groups go at the butt-crack of dawn, because if they piss off those schools, no biggie, since they're not as big.

Like others mentioned, parking and seating would also be an issue in switching to BOA format, but don't think for a moment that it's not also about making sure the Chicago schools have a good time.

I guess I should point out that I don't think Dunlap will win class 2A.

Ahelge8 - Thank you for saying the above statement.

LWW doesn't have a shot of beating Morton. Sorry. I think their placement at the regional was a little bit of a gift - and I think their name helped them ever so slightly. (Sorry all you LW alums and fans..........just my 2 cents there on that one.)

1A - Eureka, IVC, Herscher

2A - Morton, Geneseo, LWW

3A - Marian, Limestone, Lemont

4A - LWN, UT, Bloomington

5A - LWE, Prospect, WWS (Just an FYI - no one has mentioned them as a finalist fence band - if they get 3rd - watch for this to possibly be close to finals!)

6A - Lake Park, Naperville North..................and 3rd place here is a tough one..............Let's say Victor J. Andrew - Romano gets the nod as it's his last year and he's a pro at this.

I guess I should point out that I don't think Dunlap will win class 2A.

Ahelge8 - Thank you for saying the above statement.

LWW doesn't have a shot of beating Morton. Sorry. I think their placement at the regional was a little bit of a gift - and I think their name helped them ever so slightly. (Sorry all you LW alums and fans..........just my 2 cents there on that one.)

1A - Eureka, IVC, Herscher

2A - Morton, Geneseo, LWW

3A - Marian, Limestone, Lemont

4A - LWN, UT, Bloomington

5A - LWE, Prospect, WWS (Just an FYI - no one has mentioned them as a finalist fence band - if they get 3rd - watch for this to possibly be close to finals!)

6A - Lake Park, Naperville North..................and 3rd place here is a tough one..............Let's say Victor J. Andrew - Romano gets the nod as it's his last year and he's a pro at this.

That actually makes a lot of sense. I could see them doing well.

I can't wait to see some awesome shows tomorrow! I'll be up bright and early to see Morton, and probably be bopping around the rest of the day. I'll probably be wearing a yellow armband (a souvenir from last years show) so if you see me be sure to say hi!

Good luck to everyone, I know you all will be amazing!

I'll be guiding Morton, Lake Park, and Naperville North tomorrow. Best of luck to everyone tomorrow! I hope everyone has their best show of the year [so far] tomorrow! Just play your show the best you know how and really sell it =]

Finals should be spectacular this year!

GOOD MORNING EVERYONE!!

Yes it is 5AM...and im getting ready for the day! Can't wait to see all the bands today. GL TO ALL

GOOD MORNING MARK!

I'll see you there in about 45 Minutes! :D

P.S. I'll post awards on the forum via BlackBerry if I remember to today, if not, Mark and Dan will be twittering as was already said. Good luck to everyone today!

I would think so. ISU knows that this is one of the main events where they can get musicians interested in their music program. The Chicago groups have more people, and ISU wants them to have a good time so they'll send kids to ISU for college. How much fun do you think NN would have if they had to play at 7am, and then wait all day until 5pm to get awards? I'm betting....they wouldn't like it at all, and they would probably complain to ISU about...so, ISU makes all the small groups go at the butt-crack of dawn, because if they piss off those schools, no biggie, since they're not as big.

Like others mentioned, parking and seating would also be an issue in switching to BOA format, but don't think for a moment that it's not also about making sure the Chicago schools have a good time.

I agree. For the past few years, ISU has been considered (particularly with the recent addition of Prospect to the regular participants, though I wish Hersey would come more regularly) "State" competition of marching band. However, as we've discussed at length here before, the term "state" is derivative of the groups of bands that compete. Unfortunately, the responsibility of keeping these bands happy rests with ISU, as if a large player decides they don't want to come anymore, the "state" championship becomes something like "2009 State of Illinois Champions, I wonder if they could compete with Prospect" as it was a good deal of the time I was in high school. Basically ISU needs to keep the same constituent of bands and keep them happy in order to maintain such a great show, or else its status as the "state" festival will be in jeopardy.

I am extremely impressed with how those kids are handling the marching tubas; especially Lake Park. And the staff clearly knows what they're doing. It's very difficult to clean intervals on contra lines and there weren't a whole lot of noticeable problems.

Finalists (in case you didn't see it on the other thread):

Eureka

Morton

Marian Catholic

Lincoln-Way East

Prospect

Lake Park

Victor J. Andrew

Lincoln-Way Central

Naperville North

Lockport

Bloomington

Lincoln-Way North (sorry I forgot you guys in the initial post, too many L-Ways to remember :P)

I would just like to say that watching Lake Park play their chorale for Marian was probably the highlight of the evening for me. It's been so long since I've seen that and really it just made me indescribably happy. I had been rooting for LP so I was a little disappointed when they took 2nd but Marian really had a great show and to see LP turn and play for them really just made me feel all warm and fuzzy inside. There's a lot of class between those two organizations.

Anyways, it was a really great day, quite a few very enjoyable performances. I'm very glad I made it down there.

I would just like to say that watching Lake Park play their chorale for Marian was probably the highlight of the evening for me. It's been so long since I've seen that and really it just made me indescribably happy. I had been rooting for LP so I was a little disappointed when they took 2nd but Marian really had a great show and to see LP turn and play for them really just made me feel all warm and fuzzy inside. There's a lot of class between those two organizations.

Anyways, it was a really great day, quite a few very enjoyable performances. I'm very glad I made it down there.

second-ed

third-ed. That was an amazing display of class by LP. It was quite amazing.

I goto Marian and that was the highlight of my night. Not the show not winning or any of that. That other stuff was all great and all but I didn't shed a tear because we had won I shed a tear when Lake Park played for us. I think all bands should strive to not just be good at what they do but to be just great people like Lake Park. Thank you again Lake Park for making my senior year, last year performing at ISU something very special that will stick with me forever!