Illinois Marching Online
Sign in to follow this  
mellobear1

2009 Contests

Hey, all!

Post next year's contest dates when you hear about them!!

I have tried to condense the ones we have so far!

September 12 - Lake Park

McHenry (non-competitive)

Metro East / O'Fallon

Belleville East

Pekin

Washington

September 19 - Morton

Edwardsville

Mt. Zion

Danville

Murphysboro

Alton

September 26 - Wheeling-Chicagoland

Eastern Illinois U.

Wheaton North Falcon Band Festival

Pontiac Indian Showdown

Bands of America Regional-Louisville, Kentucky

(tent.) Youth In Music Preview Cup - Minneapolis (Metrodome)

Phantom Regiment Marching Band Festival

Geneseo

September 27-St. Rita Mustang Stampede

October 3 - Prospect Knight of Champions

McKendree Preview of Champions

Marching Maroons Band Festival (Robinson)

Bands of America Regional-Centerville, Ohio

Stagg

October 10 - Effingham

Newton

Bands of America Regional-Ypsilanti, Michigan

Lincoln-Way

Metamora

October 11 - Marengo

October 17 - U of I

Downers Grove Marching Music Bowl

Naperville Central

Quincy

Bands of America St. Louis Super Regional

Bands of America Massillon Regional

October 24 - ISU

Greater St. Louis Marching Band Festival

Youth In Music Championships - Minneapolis (Metrodome)

Mahomet-Seymour

October 31 - Oblong Spooktacular

Pinckneyville

Atwood-Hammon

Bands of America Regionals-Atlanta, Georgia

November 7 - Bands of America Indianapolis Regional

November 12-14 - Grand Nationals

Thank goodness ISU is later next year. Also, Morton and Pekin on the same day? That could spell trouble for Pekin, given their decreasing attendance and Morton's huge draw on local bands. Guess we'll see, huh?

Thank goodness ISU is later next year. Also, Morton and Pekin on the same day? That could spell trouble for Pekin, given their decreasing attendance and Morton's huge draw on local bands. Guess we'll see, huh?

I checked on who was at what this year, and the only bands that attended both Morton and Pekin were Galesburg and Olympia.

It's anyone's guess which show those two would choose if having to choose between Morton or Pekin...but Morton's show would be just fine if those two went to Pekin instead.

Pekin on the other hand...only had like 6-7 bands this past year...so two being gone would be a big loss. (I guess three would really be gone, as Morton would be attending their own show)

It's too bad that Pekin's show has deteriorated so much. I remember when IVC used to go to that every year, but then they stopped going when Morton started beating them consistently. Maybe they'll head back next year since Morton won't be there.

I hope someone decides to get a good show scheduled for the same day as U of I next year...that way there will be a good show option for those who want quality feedback....rather than the same old thing at U of I.

I hope someone decides to get a good show scheduled for the same day as U of I next year...that way there will be a good show option for those who want quality feedback....rather than the same old thing at U of I.

A little bit of speculation here, but the St. Louis Super Regional might be that weekend.

We'll see when BOA attempts to finalize the schedule next month at Midwest.

dailydrill - what's the "Same old thing at U of I" you speak of? On another thread you were questioning me when I said scores were not really accurate in Class A compared to the rest of the year.....you seem to be insinuating U of I isn't a quality show. Is that true? I hope so.

I also hope BOA goes on top of U of I..........and I hope shows like Effingham and Newton do as well. However, wouldn't the Greater St. Louis Marching Band Festival be the 24th next year, if it goes how it's gone in the past with regards to that and BOA St. Louis?

I checked on who was at what this year, and the only bands that attended both Morton and Pekin were Galesburg and Olympia.

It's anyone's guess which show those two would choose if having to choose between Morton or Pekin...but Morton's show would be just fine if those two went to Pekin instead.

Pekin on the other hand...only had like 6-7 bands this past year...so two being gone would be a big loss. (I guess three would really be gone, as Morton would be attending their own show)

It's too bad that Pekin's show has deteriorated so much. I remember when IVC used to go to that every year, but then they stopped going when Morton started beating them consistently. Maybe they'll head back next year since Morton won't be there.

Or some of the 3A and 4A bands @ Morton could also do Pekin. From what I remember it was done and over with arround 2:30ish last year. Idk about this year though.

My understanding is that the EIU contest will return and be on the last Saturday of September.

This year, they held their first-ever EIU Band Day this past Saturday. 10 area schools attended, and it was an outstanding time!

Altamont

Okaw Valley

Heritage

Arcola *absent-playoff game*

Rantoul

Charleston

Martinsville

Arthur

...and a few others that I can't recall.

Nearly 400 musicians on the field in amazing weather. All bands participated in a massed band parade from the new Doudna FAC to O'Brien Field, and then participated in 2 songs for the halftime show. Kudos to EIU for such a great day! The EIU Marching Band sound has greatly improved over last year, and they're aiming for 200 members next year. Here's hoping!

I also hope BOA goes on top of U of I..........and I hope shows like Effingham and Newton do as well.

I'm gonna say don't count on Newton being the same day as U of I, nor Effingham. I know Newton will most likely want to go to U of I. As for Effingham, they appear to have been scheduling their competition around U of I so the two won't conflict.

And thanks to HeritageHawks. Glad you enjoyed your day and the performance of the bands!

The Effingham contest will be on Saturday, October 10th

And, the EIU marching band is MUCH improved, they sound great. I would anticipate a large contest for EIU next year. In the late 90's the EIU contest was a huge show, upwards of 30 bands. I think it will return to that level very soon.

And, the EIU marching band is MUCH improved, they sound great. I would anticipate a large contest for EIU next year. In the late 90's the EIU contest was a huge show, upwards of 30 bands. I think it will return to that level very soon.

I believe the improvement is due to their new Associate Director of Bands/Director of Athletic Bands, Barry Houser. He just finished up his master at the University of Illinois last year and took the EIU job. I also anticipate great things for both the contest and the band in the very near future!