Illinois Marching Online
Sign in to follow this  
niualumni

Size of Bands Decreasing?

wow.... I only had to pay about $80 in our marching band. Of course that's not counting camp lunches and stuff for trips and other incidentals.

God I wish our school gave us a gym waiver. I heard they used to, but stopped a few years ago. My schedule is 4 academic classes, gym, band, and french.

And to answer the original question, our band has stayed about the same size over the last couple of years.

Has anybody takin into account the cost of the activity. I dont know about everybody else but i hear it cost kids around here between $750- $1200 in fees .

that might also be a factor

At Prospect, we paid $350 for the competition season plus $165 for Summer Band Camp, a total of $515. This does not include weekly private lesson expense. This year, band, choir and orchestra kids will go to London so that's another huge expense undertaken. We do hold a lot of fundraisers to help offset the cost. It does get hard to put funds together with a huge expense year like this. Thanks to the parents and boosters who support this program!!!! Without this support, I don't think our band program will survive.

So it all depends on how competitive your band is or wants to be on the fees . i brought it up because of the tough times we are in.

Being new to this experience i think Marching band is great for kids. i have also learned that these kids work just as hard or harder than some of the jocks

Our cost is $300 per year, and we do three car washes in the summer, plus a fund raising holiday concert where part of the proceeds go to marching band, part goes to curricular band, and part goes to a charity. We also get some funding from the school.

Decrease in size...hmmm...Bands are a smaller each year-Maybe marching bands in general need to evolve into something more than just lines, blocks and diamond formations that move around the field..absolutely no offense to anyone out there as this is what we did/do too..and the majority of bands do...I really love watching Avon, LD Bell, and Broken Arrow...... But, I will admit now,that I have really enjoyed the 'envelope pushing' if you will, of some of the bands this season....Naperville North and Lincoln Way East certainly stand out in my mind. I have attended many competitions throughout the years, and these two bands certainly keep your attention...and the younger kids( the future band kids???) in the audience have really enjoyed them......why? Because they look like fun...and if young kids are entertained and maybe think band is cool....then, why not make it more of a show? What a great recruiting tool. And..I really want to take that hamster ball for a spin and ride a bicycle across the field....

And yes...band is expensive...but it is worth every cent for the positive experiences it provides and the friends you make along the way.

I was sad to hear about Ronald Reagan decreasing in size. It's astounding how many programs are decreasing due to cutbacks in Education.

They didn't get smaller due to cutbacks. They are smaller due to splitting into Claudia Taylor (Lady Bird) Johnson HS.